• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Legal ownership question

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

Repeater wrote:
"... the above is not completely correct ..."

Uh, what part of User's reply would that be, Mike?

From the Code of Virginia:

Purchase, possession or transportation of firearm by persons involuntarily admitted or ordered to outpatient treatment; penalty.

A. It shall be unlawful for any person involuntarily admitted to a facility or ordered to mandatory outpatient treatment pursuant to § 19.2-169.2, involuntarily admitted to a facility or ordered to mandatory outpatient treatment as the result of a commitment hearing pursuant to Article 5 (§ 37.2-814 et seq.) of Chapter 8 of Title 37.2, or who was the subject of a temporary detention order pursuant to § 37.2-809 and subsequently agreed to voluntary admission pursuant to § 37.2-805 to purchase, possess or transport a firearm. A violation of this subsection shall be punishable as a Class 1 misdemeanor.
Most of user's reply is incorrect - the "she" in this case was treated in Germany, not pursuant to any of the Va. code sections you cite above which would then trigger a Virginia disability on firearm owership; user's statements thatvoluntarily submitting yourself to treatment gets you disabled is flatly not true except in the narrow case you cite to; the Cho example is wrong under current law, as well as the Kaine royal decree era pre-codification -ordering a person to outpatient treatment is the same as comitting them to a "facility" hence disabling their gun rights.

The most disturbing part of user's post is the assertion that people like Cho who refuse to follow treatment orders issued by a Virginia judge are not disabled from owning guns but that anybody who voluntarily submits to some mentl health treatment is disabled - this is exactly backwards.

user

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

That raises a number of interesting points. I do often talk off the top of my head in what I consider an informal "hearing" - if I had to prepare for an online forum the same way I do for court, well, I wouldn't do it. But I recognize I may be wrong, and am happy to be corrected.

For example, in the Cho controversy, I was under the impression that the requirement that he submit to treatment was a condition of a bond or parole; not an order. Those are different, and a person who chooses to disobey a condition of bond or parole has the option of having the bond or parole revoked; it's essentially his choice. That's not the same as an order that he do something (which in the Cho case, as I understand it, would have required a great deal more legal process than was obtained.)

I had a case not too long ago, in which the mental health issues were a significant part, so the subject is not totally foreign to me. Part of the problem is that I was summarizing several related statutes. But as I say, I may be wrong, and I'll check my conclusions and let you know what I find out.

user

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

Here's an excerpt from the U.S. Code, the provision cited applies irrespective of the place wherein the adjudication or committment occurred (emphasis added).

TITLE 18 - CRIMES AND CRIMINAL PROCEDURE
PART I - CRIMES
CHAPTER 44 - FIREARMS
Sec. 922. Unlawful acts
(g) It shall be unlawful for any person -
(4) who has been adjudicated as a mental defective or who has been committed to a mental institution;

to ship or transport in interstate or foreign commerce, or possess in or affecting commerce, any firearm or ammunition; or to receive any firearm or ammunition which has been shipped or transported in interstate or foreign commerce.

Repeater

imported post

Mike wrote:
Repeater wrote:

Purchase, possession or transportation of firearm by persons involuntarily admitted or ordered to outpatient treatment; penalty.

A. It shall be unlawful for any person involuntarily admitted to a facility or ordered to mandatory outpatient treatment pursuant to § 19.2-169.2, involuntarily admitted to a facility or ordered to mandatory outpatient treatment as the result of a commitment hearing pursuant to Article 5 (§ 37.2-814 et seq.) of Chapter 8 of Title 37.2, or who was the subject of a temporary detention order pursuant to § 37.2-809 and subsequently agreed to voluntary admission pursuant to § 37.2-805 to purchase, possess or transport a firearm. A violation of this subsection shall be punishable as a Class 1 misdemeanor.
... The most disturbing part of user's post is the assertion that people like Cho who refuse to follow treatment orders issued by a Virginia judge are not disabled from owning guns but that anybody who voluntarily submits to some mentl health treatment is disabled - this is exactly backwards.
In fact, anyone who voluntarily submits to some mental health treatment [in a residential facility] is disabled with respect to obtaining a Virginia CHP:

[SNIP]
E. The following persons shall be deemed disqualified from obtaining a permit:

18. An individual who has received mental health treatment or substance abuse treatment in a residential setting within five years prior to the date of his application for a concealed handgun permit.
Note the subdivision makes no distinction between voluntary and involuntary admission to such treatment. The legal disability lasts five years.

Thus, a Virginian who really ought to seek treatment -- but doesn't -- will have right to obtain a CHP, while another Virginian who sought treatment -- and was successful -- will effectively be punished for having done so. Agreed, it's backwards -- and discriminatory.

Part of Milbars question was: "Will this bar her from being able to apply for a CCW ... ?"

Fortunately, in her case, he did not indicate that she was ever in such a facility.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

Repeater wrote:
Mike wrote:
Repeater wrote:

... The most disturbing part of user's post is the assertion that people like Cho who refuse to follow treatment orders issued by a Virginia judge are not disabled from owning guns but that anybody who voluntarily submits to some mentl health treatment is disabled - this is exactly backwards.
In fact, anyone who voluntarily submits to some mental health treatment [in a residential facility] is disabled with respect to obtaining a Virginia CHP:

[SNIP]
E. The following persons shall be deemed disqualified from obtaining a permit:

18. An individual who has received mental health treatment or substance abuse treatment in a residential setting within five years prior to the date of his application for a concealed handgun permit.
Note the subdivision makes no distinction between voluntary and involuntary admission to such treatment. The legal disability lasts five years.

Thus, a Virginian who really ought to seek treatment -- but doesn't -- will have right to obtain a CHP, while another Virginian who sought treatment -- and was successful -- will effectively be punished for having done so. Agreed, it's backwards -- and discriminatory.

Part of Milbars question was: "Will this bar her from being able to apply for a CCW ... ?"

Fortunately, in her case, he did not indicate that she was ever in such a facility.
What does "in a residential setting" mean? Is that a rooming house setting or a residential neighborhood?

MSC 45ACP

imported post

peter nap wrote:
Thanks repeater!
I always wondered about the wording. Seemed silly.

"residential treatment facility"... very easy definition:

If you spent the night ina nut house, you're DQ'd... period.

Spent the night in the pokey (cross-bar motel)?

Not necessarily DQ'd... depends on the charges.

I know a guy that spent the night in the pokey after having consumed more than he should have, but was never charged with anything. They gave him a cup of coffee, a ride back to his car and his keys without any paperwork.

:idea:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

MSC 45ACP wrote:
peter nap wrote:
Thanks repeater!
I always wondered about the wording. Seemed silly.

"residential treatment facility"... very easy definition:

If you spent the night ina nut house, you're DQ'd... period.

Spent the night in the pokey (cross-bar motel)?

Not necessarily DQ'd... depends on the charges.

I know a guy that spent the night in the pokey after having consumed more than he should have, but was never charged with anything. They gave him a cup of coffee, a ride back to his car and his keys without any paperwork.

:idea:
Know a guy who spent the night in the old Yorktown basement jail, had cold beans and franks for breakfast, went before the judge and found guilty of trespass (was asleep in a car), paid a cash fine - no record of any of it to be found ever.

Yata hey