• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Am I the only one?

Bennelli

imported post

Last week I am sitting @ the Dimple Dell Rec. Center with my 2 year old in the TV open area room, while my 5 year old is at his swimming lesson. I am borded to tears watching cartoons, so I start running seniros through my head. What if a BG comes in Shooting at people? How do I cross the hall and get to my 5 yr old with out getting shot? I start to think about shooting out the 12x12 thick glass to the pool area (you know those big glass walls.) Will the bullet just make a hole through it, and I have to bang on the glass until it is open enough to fit through? Do I take cover behind a wall and look for the nearest exit then reenter near the pool?

Point is this can happen and something similar has happened this week in PA. I am not the only one who thinks these thoughts I know, andI am not the only one who gets asked "why do you carry a gun?" "what are you afraid of?" I say nothing I am just prepared if a BGcrosses my path.

When I go in the pool my gun is in a bag about 10' away from me and 1 eye is on the kid and the other one on my bag! Take no chances!

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Bennelli wrote:
Last week I am sitting @ the Dimple Dell Rec. Center with my 2 year old in the TV open area room, while my 5 year old is at his swimming lesson. I am borded to tears watching cartoons, so I start running seniros through my head. What if a BG comes in Shooting at people? How do I cross the hall and get to my 5 yr old with out getting shot? I start to think about shooting out the 12x12 thick glass to the pool area (you know those big glass walls.) Will the bullet just make a hole through it, and I have to bang on the glass until it is open enough to fit through? Do I take cover behind a wall and look for the nearest exit then reenter near the pool?

Point is this can happen and something similar has happened this week in PA. I am not the only one who thinks these thoughts I know, andI am not the only one who gets asked "why do you carry a gun?" "what are you afraid of?" I say nothing I am just prepared if a BGcrosses my path.

When I go in the pool my gun is in a bag about 10' away from me and 1 eye is on the kid and the other one on my bag! Take no chances!
Why worry about getting to them? Even if you get to your kids, they still aren't bullet proof.

Get to the shooter!

;)

Bennelli

imported post

Just thoughts running through my mind, I am not trained to hunt down BGs but if I have a clear shot or if he is going towards where my kid is, then things change of course. The first thought is to get to my kid and make sure he is safe, make sence:question:

bmeldrum

imported post

Don't worry I do the exact same thing: except mine is while I'm laying in bed trying to go to sleep & I have scenarios in my mind: ok if a BG has entered my house & is in my kids room what do I do? Or like you I'll be at a store or resturant & think ok what if a BG comes am I going to be able to bring myself to draw my weapon?

I just happened to watch a Dateline show just the other night about a killer who had entered into the daughters room, he had a knife, she screamed, dad came in and starting fighting the BG (I kept thinking why doesn't he have a gun or baseball bat or golf club? I'm pretty sure after that he went out and got a gun!)

I think we all have thought about scenarios at one point or another. It's like the boy scout moto: Be Prepared!

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Bennelli wrote:
Just thoughts running through my mind, I am not trained to hunt down BGs but if I have a clear shot or if he is going towards where my kid is, then things change of course. The first thought is to get to my kid and make sure he is safe, make sence:question:
I'm a parent too, and I've thought the same things through many times. And I have never managed to create in my mind any scenario that eliminates the threat without eliminating the threat. Follow?

ichigo

imported post

I am a father of 3 and I am routinely planning out situations. When I carry I am very aware of my surroundings. My firearm automatically places me on high alert, but not to the point I look paranoid. You are totally normal and I agree with all the above. Eliminate the BG first.

LovesHisXD45

imported post

Bennelli wrote:

Next time somebody asks you what you are "afraid of" as to why you carry a sidearm, simply reply, "Why do you have life insurance or buckle up when you drive? Afraid you might get in a wreck or die?" If they don't get the comparative concept, then they clearly have a biased and ignorant view of reality.

Kevin

bmeldrum

imported post

LovesHisXD45 wrote:
Next time somebody asks you what you are "afraid of" as to why you carry a sidearm, simply reply, "Why do you have life insurance or buckle up when you drive? Afraid you might get in a wreck or die?" If they don't get the comparative concept, then they clearly have a biased and ignorant view of reality.

Kevin
Very excellent questions to ask. I think you forgot one. How about asking them: "why don't you carry one?" than proceed to explain to them how they can...

bmeldrum

imported post

So in watching the news last night, they talked about the good looking lady in Vernal who stopped a kidnapping. The story reports she has a permit & a gunin the vehicle. (There's just something about good looking ladies who pack)http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=148&sid=7481510

First: she did the right thing by calling 911 & IMO doing what she did, Second: this is just me but, what good is a gun if it's not accessible or on your person? once she chose to step out of the vehicle she should have taken the gun with her because IMO the situation could have gotten uglier: he could of overpowered her, or drawn his own weapon killing both. Luckily it turned out like it did. (most likely grabbing the gun was the last thing on her mind, motherly instincts where kicking in)

So anyways I wonder if she is now thinking about this situation a little differently, she'll probably bethinking about scenarios such as these for some time. If I was her husband I would be glad she did what she did but at the same time would be telling her "next time take the gun with you or keep it on your person"!

I've thought about scenarios such as this, or what I would do if someone tried to carjack me with my kids & wife inside, what I would do if someone was in the house, or in a public place like a mall (similar to the Trolley Square incident)...

Utah_Patriot

imported post

Very well put I belive the lady did the right thing. Only thing I would say is having the firearm concealed on the person.

Again a firearm is just that a tool. I am glad their are citizens out their still willing to stop and help others in dangerous situations.

This puts gun owners in a good light.

Thanks

Zachary

801-448-7574

Bennelli

imported post

bmeldrum wrote:
So in watching the news last night, they talked about the good looking lady in Vernal who stopped a kidnapping.
You are not kidding what a nicelooking women packing heat. I agree with you she should have had her firearm on her person when she got out of her car. This is where a CC in a purse would have been great, she could have her hand on the gun ready to go, but yet no one knows she has a gun.:uhoh: Then if nothing happens nobody would have known anything different.

My wife (by the way) a good looking women as well. Has a CFP but she does not carry a gun, and just the other day I said when are you going to start carrying? She said when will I need to carry, especially since her work place does not allow firearms in the building. I said, going to the store, taking the boys to the Rec. center, every where.

I am going to share this story with her, my wife is a better shot standing still shooting a target than myself, so when we will carry together in the future and if the BG is more then 10' from us, he is all hers, she can shoot a 1 1/2" group 5 @ 25 yards with a .45 Kimber 1911 (with a lazer grip!) Watchout Bad Guys!

bmeldrum

imported post

Bennelli wrote:
My wife (by the way) a good looking women as well. Has a CFP but she does not carry a gun
I think there is twomessages to take from this: we should all be good samaritans and make sure we are carrying. For those that don't carry than they should read this story maybe it will help change their mind...