• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Port Townsend

Ajetpilot

imported post

My wife and I went to Port Townsend today. We saw three local patrol cars as we walked to the Public House for lunch (great halibut and chips, BTW). After lunch, we walked to the jewelry store to buy our daughter's b'day gifts for the party this weekend. Then I picked up a keg at the brewery (leftthe Kimber in the truck with my wife while I was in the bar) before we headed home. I never saw anyone even take a second glance at me all day. I get to PT four or five time a year. Never a problem.

Metalhead47

imported post

Hey what time were you there? My family and I were there for a few hours, did some walking around, ate at that 1890's restaurant on the water. Same as you, just got a few dirty looks but no one said a durn thing, even in the packed ferry/terminal.

fire suppressor

imported post

I think port townsend would be a great location I do not see much of a movement over in that general area. Please keep us updated when this could happen. This is a little off topic but I was in old store yesterday and read the sign up regarding OC. Dont remember how they worded it but whats up with having to check a open handgun in a sporting store? Use to be you would see lots of peolpe in there with a gun on there hip

Tamerlane

imported post

I live in Port Townsend and just discovered the OC movement tonight due to Starbucks newspaper article. Too cool. Wife and I both have CCW but she is so tiny that the only thing that even remotely conceals on her is .22, .25, .32 and the like, nothing confidence inspiring. Now that I know about OC I know she can be safer out picking blackberries alone because she can pack .45. If anyone comes to town and wants to go have coffee downtown OC, and stroll around town with me let me know. email taymere@gmail.com

gsx1138

imported post

I love Port Townsend. It's sad that artistic hippy towns come with anti's. I haven't OC'd there yet but my family and I go there every couple of months. I really get the feeling that OC'ing in Phoenix Rising would be a big "No" so I CCW in there.

Tamerlane

imported post

Agreed gsx1138, I was actually a member of the Port Townsend Peace Movement for quite awhile. I love peace, I love life. I am by far more conflict avoidant when packing. Not that I am a troublemaker by any stretch of the imagination when I am not packing. I value life and am not about to take anyone's life over some macho bullshit when walking away is an option. Based on my extremely limited military combat experience years ago, shooting brings nightmares, guilt, and all that mess, even though there was absolutely no personal macho ego involved. No thanks to all that, as Samuel Jackson says in his violence avoidance scene at the diner in Pulp Fiction, "...I am tryin' real hard to be a shepherd"

Tamerlane

imported post

Great! ajetpilot is coming in a few weeks for lunch at the Public House, the more the merrier. If you come on that day we will be approaching "critical mass."

FMCDH

imported post

Tamerlane wrote:
Agreed gsx1138, I was actually a member of the Port Townsend Peace Movement for quite awhile. I love peace, I love life. I am by far more conflict avoidant when packing. Not that I am a troublemaker by any stretch of the imagination when I am not packing. I value life and am not about to take anyone's life over some macho bull@#$% when walking away is an option. Based on my extremely limited military combat experience years ago, shooting brings nightmares, guilt, and all that mess, even though there was absolutely no personal macho ego involved. No thanks to all that, as Samuel Jackson says in his violence avoidance scene at the diner in Pulp Fiction, "...I am tryin' real hard to be a shepherd"
I find the same to be true, that I size up everything that could be a confrontation differently.

I find that I purposefully look for the non-violent way through a confrontation with the confidence that if someone is just simply out of their mind, or sees my way as a weakness to prey upon, and forces the issue into violence, I have the proper tool to stand in that last resort.

Last thing I'm interested in is spending the next year or more of my life trying to explain to a jury why it was necessary to shoot someone.

That being said, I would rather be tried by 12 than carried by 6...as the old saying goes.

Bear 45/70

imported post

shad0wfax wrote:
Trigger Dr wrote:
Today, I spoke with 2 Port Townsend officers that were in the store. Without disclosing why, I casually asked what they do with people who OC. Without going into a long story, basically their personal opinion was supportive of OC, however, they get a multitude of MWAG. It seems the entire city, gov't and citizens are anti.

Then One mentioned they had a guy a while back carrying a couple rifles...At this point I interrupted and said CASAD. They were surprised that I was aware of the case. I then asked about a city training bulletin and they have only received a few e-mails about OC. It was mentioned that WSP has recently developed and sent out some things about OC, but they were not specific.

At this point I provided them with a couple flyers and a copy of the suggested letter that Mike (the guru) posted here a year or so back. I had massaged it a bit to be a reference of case law that was specific to our cause and applicable to Wa. as well.

I also suggested they give these documents to their chief, and city attorney. When I said I might take a trip up and OC, they smiled and said it would be a good idea. Now, are they smiling because of an impending arrest or because they support OC ? the latter I would guess.

Maybe a picnic in Port Townsend is in order. I did mention our monthly get togethers and picnics. That got a great response.
Citing State vs Casad is useless.

[font="Arial, Helvetica"]Unpublished opinions are not binding, in the sense that courts within the circuit need not follow them in subsequent decisions. Indeed, the procedural rules in most circuits formerly forbade, or at least disfavored, the very citation of such opinions. Under Fed. R. App. P. 32.1, however, the circuits may not bar the citation of unpublished decisions issued on or after January 1, 2007.

Citing it in court is worthless. State vs. Casad set no legal precedences it merely affirmed that the state had no authority to perform a Terry stop.

Since State vs. Casad set no legal precedent, Casad is not something that can even be cited in court.

Stop wasting your time with Casad; cite Terry instead.[/font]
A good lawyer will not cite Casad because it was not published (it should have been but...), but he will mention it as a indication of how the appeals court looks at the issue. Quit being so negative for God's sake. Casad is a good thing.

gsx1138

imported post

NavyLT wrote:
gsx1138 wrote:
I love Port Townsend. It's sad that artistic hippy towns come with anti's. I haven't OC'd there yet but my family and I go there every couple of months. I really get the feeling that OC'ing in Phoenix Rising would be a big "No" so I CCW in there.
I've open carried twice in Phoenix Rising with no problems at all!

The way I would explain it to the peace symbol wearing, tree hugging hippie would be this way:

My gun is not an instrument of violence, it is an instrument of peace. If there is a criminal who is looking at me to rob me or do me other harm, the odds are they will see my gun and decide it is not really worth it to bother me. I like to think that my gun prevents violence and promotes peace.

Thanks, I do have a New Age friend who is a gun owner as well. I guess I need to get over my own bias then. I've had a few ask me how I can be Buddhist and a gun owner on occasion so I'm tired of going through the whole speech every time. Usually I'll explain it in 'cause and effect' terms.

Once I can get over this damn cold I'll be back up in PT.

FMCDH

imported post

gsx1138 wrote:
NavyLT wrote:
gsx1138 wrote:
I've open carried twice in Phoenix Rising with no problems at all!

The way I would explain it to the peace symbol wearing, tree hugging hippie would be this way:

My gun is not an instrument of violence, it is an instrument of peace. If there is a criminal who is looking at me to rob me or do me other harm, the odds are they will see my gun and decide it is not really worth it to bother me. I like to think that my gun prevents violence and promotes peace.

Thanks, I do have a New Age friend who is a gun owner as well. I guess I need to get over my own bias then. I've had a few ask me how I can be Buddhist and a gun owner on occasion so I'm tired of going through the whole speech every time. Usually I'll explain it in 'cause and effect' terms.

Once I can get over this damn cold I'll be back up in PT.
People also forget that the current Dalai Lama supports self defense, even with a pistol, to a qualified degree. His comments are recorded in this article toward the bottom.

http://community.seattletimes.nwsource.com/archive/?date=20010515&slug=dalai15m0

Tamerlane

imported post

Wow, thanks I never knew that the Dalai Lama was that wise. While I applaud his practicality in understanding that peace sometimes requires violence, I happen to disagree with his peaceful leg shot argument, I say that two center mass shots followed by a head shot into the "no reflex zone" would be the way to restore the peace in the safest way possible to the maximum number of people if you include innocent bystanders. That's because a leg shot doesn't necessarily end the firefight. I trust myself not to hit innocent bystanders much more than I trust somebody I don't know who has just been shot in the leg to hit just me and only me. I know for sure that I won't wildly unload a magazine in my adversaries general direction.

Batousaii

imported post

gsx1138 wrote:
<snip>I've had a few ask me how I can be Buddhist and a gun owner...
In the same way, and for same reasonsthat the Shaolin Monks were trained to be masters of martial arts, or the same reason the Shinto Samurai were practitioners of philosophy, art and meditative activities... even the act of swordsmanship was done in a relatively meditative state. Study the book of 5 rings and you shall have an insight to this mindset. The warrior who's existence is not bent on death, but to preserve the essence of life.

As peaceful warriors, it is not our desire to take a life for the sake of killing, but to preserve the life that would best harmonise with the greater whole.

;)Bat

heresolong

imported post

I OC in Port Townsend all the time. Never had any problems. The funniest was walking through downtown with my buddies two girls (9 and 5) with a pistol on my hip and a little girl on each hand. Two officers walked by me twice, once in each direction and looked but never said a word.