Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 87

Thread: So I had always heard Serpa's were good...

  1. #1
    Campaign Veteran
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Richmond, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    394

    Post imported post

    and after carrying my new MP9 in one for about a week, I'm sold. I love this thing. Faster draws, faster reholstering, perfectly accessible retention. What more could you want?

    I haven't tried the pancake holster attachment yet, but I simply can't say enough good about this holster.

    Anyone else have any gear that they aren't sure how they got along without? I'd like to know what else I'm missing out on.
    Find businesses that are pro gun...and those that aren't. Friend or Foe - Version 2 is online!

  2. #2
    Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    13,580

    Post imported post

    bnkrazy wrote:
    and after carrying my new MP9 in one for about a week, I'm sold. I love this thing. Faster draws, faster reholstering, perfectly accessible retention. What more could you want?

    I haven't tried the pancake holster attachment yet, but I simply can't say enough good about this holster.

    Anyone else have any gear that they aren't sure how they got along without? I'd like to know what else I'm missing out on.
    Carry gear is a highly personal issue.

    I tried the Serpa and hate it.

    It's hard on the finish.
    Difficult for me to draw quickly and naturally.
    It tends to twist with the muzzle sticking out.
    The hard edges pinch when in the car.

    On the positive side.
    Fairly inexpensive
    Secure
    Easy to reholster the weapon
    Easy to clean dirt and grit out of.

    There doesn't seem to be much middle ground. Either yu love it, or hate it.

  3. #3
    Regular Member TexasNative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    856

    Post imported post

    The Serpa pancake is a real bear claw. It can be a bit of a pain to remove from your trousers, but you have absolutely zero fear that someone's going to pull the holster off of you. I think it's actually a more stable platform than using the belt loops.

    ~ Boyd

  4. #4
    Regular Member ProShooter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
    Posts
    4,671

    Post imported post

    When I was with the SO, I field tested one at the range and couldn't stand it. That button aggravated me.

    To each his own I guess.
    James Reynolds

    NRA Certified Firearms Instructor - Pistol, Shotgun, Home Firearms Safety, Refuse To Be A Victim
    Concealed Firearms Instructor for Virginia, Florida & Utah permits.
    NRA Certified Chief Range Safety Officer
    Sabre Red Pepper Spray Instructor
    Glock Certified Armorer
    Instructor Bio - http://proactiveshooters.com/about-us/

  5. #5
    Campaign Veteran
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Richmond, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    394

    Post imported post

    I agree carry gear is highly subjective. This just really works for me.

    I'd still be interested to know what you guys are using so I can keep filling up that holster drawer.
    Find businesses that are pro gun...and those that aren't. Friend or Foe - Version 2 is online!

  6. #6
    Regular Member Marco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Greene County
    Posts
    3,844

    Post imported post

    When they first hit the market I gave them a try, hated it.
    A few yrs later tried it again, same reaction.
    I bought a used gun and asportster model came with, used it for a little while because it was the only holster for that gun after a few weeks I still had the same feelings for the holster.

    I have become fond of appendix carry for OC/CC (with the right gun), the gun is secure and it doesn't print.
    Holster used Comptac 2o'clock.
    If you think like a Statist, act like one, or back some, you've given up on freedom and have gone over to the dark side.
    The easiest ex. but probably the most difficult to grasp for gun owners is that fool permission slip so many of you have, especially if you show it off with pride. You should recognize it as an embarrassment, an infringement, a travesty and an affront to a free person.


    ~Alan Korwin

  7. #7
    Campaign Veteran
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Richmond, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    394

    Post imported post

    I OC/CC my P99 at 1:00 with a cheapo nylon IWB holster, and that works well.

    My mid-section seems to keep expanding though, so either I will have to start exercising more, buy new pants, or carry OWB all the time soon.
    Find businesses that are pro gun...and those that aren't. Friend or Foe - Version 2 is online!

  8. #8
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    US
    Posts
    3,156

    Post imported post

    I have one for my 5" XD, my only complaint is that since they designed it with the 4" model in mind, my gun sticks an inch out the bottom of the holster. Other than that, no complaints here. I use the paddle attachment and it is probably the most secure holster I own. For my other guns, I use either a Safariland 3-slot holster for my revolvers, or a Bianchi Accumold thumbbreak holster for my 659 auto. For the Accumold holsters, you need a very stiff 1-3/4" belt. Otherwise it will flop around and not hold close to your body. I use a Bianchi accumold belt with that holster and it works well for OC.

  9. #9
    Campaign Veteran
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Richmond, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    394

    Post imported post

    nova wrote:
    I have one for my 5" XD, my only complaint is that since they designed it with the 4" model in mind, my gun sticks an inch out the bottom of the holster. Other than that, no complaints here. I use the paddle attachment and it is probably the most secure holster I own. For my other guns, I use either a Safariland 3-slot holster for my revolvers, or a Bianchi Accumold thumbbreak holster for my 659 auto. For the Accumold holsters, you need a very stiff 1-3/4" belt. Otherwise it will flop around and not hold close to your body. I use a Bianchi accumold belt with that holster and it works well for OC.
    Does the paddle attachment hold it closer to your side? It looks like and I assume it would. I've heard good things about SL as well, so I may check into those.

    I hate thumb breaks and straps which is one reason I went with the Serpa.
    Find businesses that are pro gun...and those that aren't. Friend or Foe - Version 2 is online!

  10. #10
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    US
    Posts
    3,156

    Post imported post

    bnkrazy wrote:
    nova wrote:
    I have one for my 5" XD, my only complaint is that since they designed it with the 4" model in mind, my gun sticks an inch out the bottom of the holster. Other than that, no complaints here. I use the paddle attachment and it is probably the most secure holster I own. For my other guns, I use either a Safariland 3-slot holster for my revolvers, or a Bianchi Accumold thumbbreak holster for my 659 auto. For the Accumold holsters, you need a very stiff 1-3/4" belt. Otherwise it will flop around and not hold close to your body. I use a Bianchi accumold belt with that holster and it works well for OC.
    Does the paddle attachment hold it closer to your side? It looks like and I assume it would. I've heard good things about SL as well, so I may check into those.

    I hate thumb breaks and straps which is one reason I went with the Serpa.
    I tried the belt loop attachment first but I liked the paddle better. It felt like it held it closer in. The safariland I bought does have a thumbbreak, but I don't mind them, they're what I'm used to and have no problems with it.

  11. #11
    Regular Member ProShooter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
    Posts
    4,671

    Post imported post

    This is what I use the majority of the time and I love it. Most comfortable holster I've ever used. Rocketman IWB:




    James Reynolds

    NRA Certified Firearms Instructor - Pistol, Shotgun, Home Firearms Safety, Refuse To Be A Victim
    Concealed Firearms Instructor for Virginia, Florida & Utah permits.
    NRA Certified Chief Range Safety Officer
    Sabre Red Pepper Spray Instructor
    Glock Certified Armorer
    Instructor Bio - http://proactiveshooters.com/about-us/

  12. #12
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Norfolk, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    1,000

    Post imported post

    I've got a serpa blackhawk. I like it. The claw on it is such that if someone wanted to take my gun from me, they'd have to take my pants too... or figure out how to hit the button to release the gun from the holster in the time it would take to close in and grab it from me.

    Hint: If you are getting that close, I already know you are there and will be protecting the firearm from your grubby mitts. I don't like people being near my firearm while I'm carrying.

  13. #13
    Regular Member wylde007's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Va Beach, Occupied VA
    Posts
    3,037

    Post imported post

    Heck, if you're that close and aren't supposed to be, I may already be reloading.
    The quiet war has begun, with silent weapons
    And the newest slavery is to keep the people poor, and stupid
    Novos ordo seclorum ~ Mustaine

    Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

  14. #14
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    , Virginia, USA
    Posts
    410

    Post imported post

    I've got one for my glock, works great:







  15. #15
    Regular Member GrayGhost's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    10

    Post imported post

    bnkrazy wrote:
    I agree carry gear is highly subjective. This just really works for me.

    I'd still be interested to know what you guys are using so I can keep filling up that holster drawer.
    I have a Blachhawk Serpa, and like it. I also use a CrossBreed Super Tuck, and a Bullard Dual Carry, depends on the situation and what I'm wearing as to which one I use. I have nothing bad to say about any of them. I will say that the CrossBreed is the most comfortable for me.

    http://www.crossbreedholsters.com/
    http://www.dmbullardleather.com/1429711.html

  16. #16
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Richmond - Charlottesville, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    156

    Post imported post

    bnkrazy wrote:
    I agree carry gear is highly subjective. This just really works for me.

    I'd still be interested to know what you guys are using so I can keep filling up that holster drawer.
    I started with a Serpa, but eventually picked up a Fobus and love it. I find it to be more comfortable and it protrudes less. I still use the Serpa for crowded enviroments, though.

  17. #17
    Regular Member wylde007's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Va Beach, Occupied VA
    Posts
    3,037

    Post imported post

    GrayGhost wrote:
    and a Bullard Dual Carry, depends on the situation
    Looks like a much-mo'-betta version of the Blackhawk Check-six that I use for conceal.

    I like retention for OC. Peace of mind. No cite.
    The quiet war has begun, with silent weapons
    And the newest slavery is to keep the people poor, and stupid
    Novos ordo seclorum ~ Mustaine

    Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

  18. #18
    Regular Member Bulldog1967's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Alexandria, Virginia, United States
    Posts
    447

    Post imported post

    I use a serpa for my M&P 9mm daily carry every day.

  19. #19
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    NoVA, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    431

    Post imported post

    Before you use it for carry, try it out with an unloaded gun while under stress.
    In Force-on-Force I've seen a few guys have an ND while drawing. The Serpa makes you put pressure on the trigger-guard area, where you should NEVER put pressure while drawing.
    The round is highly likely to go into your leg at that point.
    Again, try it while a couple of your friends are running at you. Make CERTAIN the gun is unloaded. I personally wouldn't even do that. I use an airsoft equivalent of my Glock 19.
    Stay safe.

  20. #20
    Campaign Veteran
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Richmond, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    394

    Post imported post

    I see what you're saying, but my finger is long enough to extend well past the trigger guard so I don't think it would slip inside. I'll check it out though to be sure and see what happens. Thanks for the info.
    Find businesses that are pro gun...and those that aren't. Friend or Foe - Version 2 is online!

  21. #21
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Mechanicsville, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    29

    Post imported post

    I've found the paddle attachment on the serpato be more secure as others have said. You'd have to yank your pants off to get that off of you as the "hooks" work well. I also have found that when paired with a thick 5.11 tactical belt, this works well for me and my XD. But yes, it gets real individualized.

  22. #22
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Richmond, VA, ,
    Posts
    439

    Post imported post

    ufcfanvt wrote:
    Before you use it for carry, try it out with an unloaded gun while under stress.
    In Force-on-Force I've seen a few guys have an ND while drawing. The Serpa makes you put pressure on the trigger-guard area, where you should NEVER put pressure while drawing.
    The round is highly likely to go into your leg at that point.
    Again, try it while a couple of your friends are running at you. Make CERTAIN the gun is unloaded. I personally wouldn't even do that. I use an airsoft equivalent of my Glock 19.
    Stay safe.
    If you are pushing the button in with a hooked finger then you are operating the holster incorrectly. You should be simply sliding your extended finger over the button while drawing and allowing your still extended finger to rest either on the slide/frame or next to the trigger guard. With correct operation chances are incredibly good that you won't have a ND.

    I don't get how people that improperly use anything or hear about other people improperly using things apply said improper use to their judgment of the quality of any item. Of course when you use something incorrectly it could very well lead to a malfunction.

    If you practice and train, as you should, then you will begin to either correctly use the holster or decide that you can't get the hang of proper use of a Serpa and pick something else that suits you better.

  23. #23
    Regular Member TexasNative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    856

    Post imported post

    I agree with Curtis: if you operate the Serpa properly, your finger is indexed along the frame of the pistol as you draw it. I've never come close to an ND with that holster.

    ~ Boyd

  24. #24
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    NoVA, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    431

    Post imported post

    curtiswr wrote:
    Of course when you use something incorrectly it could very well lead to a malfunction.
    The proper use of any holster does not occur at the climate-controlled, lighted, static gun-range in which no thugs are chasing you down. All positive evaluations of the Serpa that I have seen seem be have been tested under these conditions.
    I am offering the results of tests conducted in conditions that approximate those for which a holster is intended. Go train yourself and see what works for you. Realize that YMMV and others may not have the long, ninja-like fingers you do when 3 men are running at you with blades out.

    If you practice and train, as you should, then you will begin to either correctly use the holster or decide that you can't get the hang of proper use of a Serpa and pick something else that suits you better.
    Exactly what I'm saying. I might add, allow the curious to benefit from the advice of people other than yourself. I didn't bash anyone else's rave reviews of the Serpa. I simply offered a counter opinion based on realistic training that I actually partook in. This is way too common amongst the keyboard commandos on this and other forums.

  25. #25
    Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    North Chesterfield, Va.
    Posts
    34,620

    Post imported post

    The Serpa ND issue is IMO training related and is not the fault of the holster but the user.

    Never train/practice pushing the release on a Serpa with the tip of your finger. Just as reaching for the trigger before the gun completely clears your leather holster is a recipe for disaster, so too is pushing the release on a Serpa with a curled finger tip.

    Correct procedure is for the index finger to be fully extended (straight) next to memory ridge. Then begin the draw stroke sliding your straight extended finger over the release. The result will be an effortless, slick draw with your finger extended straight along the slide - where it belongs, prior to being fully on target.

    Yata hey
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

    Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •