• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

So I had always heard Serpa's were good...

bnkrazy

Campaign Veteran
imported post

and after carrying my new MP9 in one for about a week, I'm sold. I love this thing. Faster draws, faster reholstering, perfectly accessible retention. What more could you want?

I haven't tried the pancake holster attachment yet, but I simply can't say enough good about this holster.

Anyone else have any gear that they aren't sure how they got along without? I'd like to know what else I'm missing out on. :)

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

bnkrazy wrote:
and after carrying my new MP9 in one for about a week, I'm sold. I love this thing. Faster draws, faster reholstering, perfectly accessible retention. What more could you want?

I haven't tried the pancake holster attachment yet, but I simply can't say enough good about this holster.

Anyone else have any gear that they aren't sure how they got along without? I'd like to know what else I'm missing out on. :)
Carry gear is a highly personal issue.

I tried the Serpa and hate it.

It's hard on the finish.
Difficult for me to draw quickly and naturally.
It tends to twist with the muzzle sticking out.
The hard edges pinch when in the car.

On the positive side.
Fairly inexpensive
Secure
Easy to reholster the weapon
Easy to clean dirt and grit out of.

There doesn't seem to be much middle ground. Either yu love it, or hate it.

TexasNative

imported post

The Serpa pancake is a real bear claw. It can be a bit of a pain to remove from your trousers, but you have absolutely zero fear that someone's going to pull the holster off of you. I think it's actually a more stable platform than using the belt loops.

~ Boyd

bnkrazy

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I agree carry gear is highly subjective. This just really works for me.

I'd still be interested to know what you guys are using so I can keep filling up that holster drawer. :)

Marco

imported post

When they first hit the market I gave them a try, hated it.
A few yrs later tried it again, same reaction.
I bought a used gun and asportster model came with, used it for a little while because it was the only holster for that gun after a few weeks I still had the same feelings for the holster.

I have become fond of appendix carry for OC/CC (with the right gun), the gun is secure and it doesn't print.
Holster used Comptac 2o'clock.

bnkrazy

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I OC/CC my P99 at 1:00 with a cheapo nylon IWB holster, and that works well.

My mid-section seems to keep expanding though, so either I will have to start exercising more, buy new pants, or carry OWB all the time soon. :)

nova

imported post

I have one for my 5" XD, my only complaint is that since they designed it with the 4" model in mind, my gun sticks an inch out the bottom of the holster. Other than that, no complaints here. I use the paddle attachment and it is probably the most secure holster I own. For my other guns, I use either a Safariland 3-slot holster for my revolvers, or a Bianchi Accumold thumbbreak holster for my 659 auto. For the Accumold holsters, you need a very stiff 1-3/4" belt. Otherwise it will flop around and not hold close to your body. I use a Bianchi accumold belt with that holster and it works well for OC.

bnkrazy

Campaign Veteran
imported post

nova wrote:
I have one for my 5" XD, my only complaint is that since they designed it with the 4" model in mind, my gun sticks an inch out the bottom of the holster. Other than that, no complaints here. I use the paddle attachment and it is probably the most secure holster I own. For my other guns, I use either a Safariland 3-slot holster for my revolvers, or a Bianchi Accumold thumbbreak holster for my 659 auto. For the Accumold holsters, you need a very stiff 1-3/4" belt. Otherwise it will flop around and not hold close to your body. I use a Bianchi accumold belt with that holster and it works well for OC.
Does the paddle attachment hold it closer to your side? It looks like and I assume it would. I've heard good things about SL as well, so I may check into those.

I hate thumb breaks and straps which is one reason I went with the Serpa.

nova

imported post

bnkrazy wrote:
nova wrote:
Does the paddle attachment hold it closer to your side? It looks like and I assume it would. I've heard good things about SL as well, so I may check into those.

I hate thumb breaks and straps which is one reason I went with the Serpa.
I tried the belt loop attachment first but I liked the paddle better. It felt like it held it closer in. The safariland I bought does have a thumbbreak, but I don't mind them, they're what I'm used to and have no problems with it.

ProShooter

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
imported post

This is what I use the majority of the time and I love it. Most comfortable holster I've ever used. Rocketman IWB:

lowrider.jpg

darthmord

imported post

I've got a serpa blackhawk. I like it. The claw on it is such that if someone wanted to take my gun from me, they'd have to take my pants too... or figure out how to hit the button to release the gun from the holster in the time it would take to close in and grab it from me.

Hint: If you are getting that close, I already know you are there and will be protecting the firearm from your grubby mitts. I don't like people being near my firearm while I'm carrying.

GrayGhost

imported post

bnkrazy wrote:

I'd still be interested to know what you guys are using so I can keep filling up that holster drawer. :)

I have a Blachhawk Serpa, and like it. I also use a CrossBreed Super Tuck, and a Bullard Dual Carry, depends on the situation and what I'm wearing as to which one I use. I have nothing bad to say about any of them. I will say that the CrossBreed is the most comfortable for me.

http://www.crossbreedholsters.com/
http://www.dmbullardleather.com/1429711.html

Icetera

Richmond - Charlottesville, Virginia, USA
imported post

bnkrazy wrote:

I started with a Serpa, but eventually picked up a Fobus and love it. I find it to be more comfortable and it protrudes less. I still use the Serpa for crowded enviroments, though.

wylde007

imported post

GrayGhost wrote:
and a Bullard Dual Carry, depends on the situation
Looks like a much-mo'-betta version of the Blackhawk Check-six that I use for conceal.

I like retention for OC. Peace of mind. No cite.:D

ufcfanvt

imported post

Before you use it for carry, try it out with an unloaded gun while under stress.
In Force-on-Force I've seen a few guys have an ND while drawing. The Serpa makes you put pressure on the trigger-guard area, where you should NEVER put pressure while drawing.
The round is highly likely to go into your leg at that point.
Again, try it while a couple of your friends are running at you. Make CERTAIN the gun is unloaded. I personally wouldn't even do that. I use an airsoft equivalent of my Glock 19.
Stay safe.

bnkrazy

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I see what you're saying, but my finger is long enough to extend well past the trigger guard so I don't think it would slip inside. I'll check it out though to be sure and see what happens. Thanks for the info.