• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Searching for Gun Buy Back near Illinois

templar223

imported post

Hey guys and gals.

I'm from Guns Save Life (dot com) in Illinois and we've raised money in the past by "cashing" in at gun "buy backs" by taking rusted junk in and trading it for cash or pre-paid mastercards. We then buy guns to give away to children, along with literally thousands of pounds of ammunition for the longest running NRA Youth Shooting Camp (which we have been the largest single sponsor for over the last few years).

gunbuyback.jpg

We have been collecting for Chicago's annual buy back (dontkilladream dot com or something like that) for about a year now. Regrettably, Chicago has decided to get cheap this year and is only offering $50 per gun. For the write up of what happened last time we went,

The deed
http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=291523

The results
http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=293971

Sorry, mister daley, we're not selling into that low-ball offer.

Chicagobuyback.jpg
chicagoturnin.jpg

(Here's about half of what we've got for this year)

We're looking for some do-gooders with deep pockets who might be holding a buy back within a few hours of Champaign, IL. We're looking for either cash events or pre-paid credit cards in the amount of $100 per gun or more. Coupons to Kroger, Target or Chili's doesn't impress us. Yes, we drive a hard bargain, but our members are worth it (especially considering some of the guns we've got have come from a pair of long-time members who've passed away since donating their guns -- including a D-Day soldier.)

If anyone here should hear of a BuyBack in the coming months in IN or MO, please email me with the details or a lead. IM me or email me at my nickname here @comcast.net.

Thanks in advance.

John

PS: I posted this in the IN forum as well. Thanks.

smoking357

Banned
imported post

templar223 wrote:
Hey guys and gals.

I'm from Guns Save Life (dot com) in Illinois and we've raised money in the past by "cashing" in at gun "buy backs" by taking rusted junk in and trading it for cash or pre-paid mastercards. We then buy guns to give away to children, along with literally thousands of pounds of ammunition for the longest running NRA Youth Shooting Camp (which we have been the largest single sponsor for over the last few years).
I ran into your stand at the GRPC, a couple years ago.

Your outfit rocks! I remember the "Thanks, Daley" article you printed. Hilarious.

I also like your "Burma-shave" billboards.

AWDstylez

Banned
imported post

templar223 wrote:
Hey guys and gals.

LOL That's the best idea ever.

chiefjason

imported post

Is the guild shotgun in the middle, double barrel rabbit ear, from the D-day vet. Looks a lot like the one my grandfather brought back from France. Except mines in the gunsafe and still works. Mine has a bit more engraving as well. Shame to see it like that. Regardless, great idea and good luck. That first pic is priceless!

Superlite27

imported post

Here's a list of locations for the latest farce.

http://1035kissfm.zipscene.com/events/view/1876373

I've seen some sad things at these buybacks. At the last one I checked out here in St. Louis, an older gentleman entering the buyback was having a S&W model 10 inspected for safe.

$50 to have a Model 10 melted down.

I think it would be an excellent idea to set up a booth (out of legal "reach") with a big sign saying:

FREE FIREARM APPRAISALS

You could bring some firearm appraisal books. Maybe a "Big Book of Gun Values" and inform the unwitting citizens getting ripped off by the government how much their firearms are actually worth and how they could get it by selling it to a dealer or FTF.

Good idea?

thx997303

imported post

I would personally just go through the crowd offering 60 or so for firearms I liked.

Get a few good deals I'm guessing.:)

Assuming of course I were in a state where private party purchases are legal.

John Wolver

imported post

I have been thinking of hosting my own gun buy back program here in the great state of Idaho where private transfers are legal. Im thinking of starting with 40 bucks. Make it sound good. "hosting a gun buy back to get firearms our of unsafe hands" something like that. lol

.40 Cal

State Researcher
imported post

It might not be a bad idea to run an ad in the local moneysaver or pennysaver or whatever ad flier youguys get in your neck of the woods, provided that private sales are legal where you live. It would be funny to see what kind of reaction your police dept has to this action.

Carnivore

imported post

John Wolver wrote:
I have been thinking of hosting my own gun buy back program here in the great state of Idaho where private transfers are legal. Im thinking of starting with 40 bucks. Make it sound good. "hosting a gun buy back to get firearms our of unsafe hands" something like that. lol
That sounds good in theory, but you don't have the same immunity that a police dept. can claim if you were to recieve a stolen firearm..

.40 Cal

State Researcher
imported post

In order to protect some of our brethren out there, I have to clarify that private transfers are not legal everywhere. Know your laws. As far as receiving stolen firearms, just make sure you keep accurate records of any pistol you take in. It may make the difference in your defense.

templar223

imported post

While some have raised the idea of offering to purchase guns from those standing in line for "turn ins", I don't think that would be either profitable or smart and I'll tell you why:

1. These events are usually held in cities who don't respect our rights to own guns as often as not. You would be inviting the man into your life without vaseline if you're loitering around asking questions and handling guns outside of one of these places. And God help you if you actually execute a transaction... I hope you followed all the laws and rules and you best hope there isn't a school within a 1000' or any other b.s. charge they can stick you with.

2. As often as not, the only "line" is inside the building where the event is held.

3. As I mentioned in my piece about my last trip, I saw scores and scores of guns at the second location I went to and there were no decent guns there. About the best I saw was an old Mossberg bird gun. I saw no top tier handguns there. Lots of junk. Lots of eighty- to hundred-year-old guns. Lots of rust. The guy who saw a Model 10... that's rare as getting an wheat penny for change at Wal-Mart.

John