• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Checking in a firearm on an airplane

LEO 229

imported post

I have flown a few times taking a gun with me. Declared my gun in my checked baggage at the ticket counter.

I was delayed about 30 seconds asI waited for the security guy to run it thru the x-ray machine.

But my flight was not delayed at all.

Bill Starks

State Researcher
imported post

As long as NY is NOT your final destination you are fine. However if you get delayed and possession of your luggage is returned to you, you are now in violation and subject up to 7 years. More than 5 weapons gets even more time.

Carnivore

imported post

If you're flying from Ca. to Va. then New York is no more than a Restroom and stretch your legs break, You'll be fine unless your destination is new york and then a drive to VA.

rolexbenz190e

imported post

Ok, I made it to CA hassle free. I'm here with my LEO friend, I brought 2 firearms so I will probably let him carry one and I will OC the other one. I'm here till the 12th and then I leave for VA with my NY layover. If you dont hear from me after that, you know where I will be lol.

KBCraig

imported post

Carnivore wrote:
Don't get excited if your firearm doesn't show up on the luggage carosel with the rest of everyones luggage, I've had em go to the lost luggage office before, and asked why, they said sometimes they do that to insure the proper owner claimes it and some other jon doe doesn't just grab it and walk away incase you don't make it to the carosel in time.. They've paged me over the intercom to come and claim luggage(gun cases) and verify ID before releasing it to you. I didn't mind the surprise, and was very appreciative of their concern for my property..

Since it is strictly forbidden to indicate in any waythe luggage that it contains a firearm, how did the receiving airport know what was inside?

Bill Starks

State Researcher
imported post

how did the receiving airport know what was inside?
Anytime I have flown with a weapon a little yellow sticker has been wrapped around the handle. Anytime my luggage has been inspected at some point I have opened it to find the the little TSA sheet inside.

swinokur

Activist Member
imported post

M1Gunr wrote:
Anytime I have flown with a weapon a little yellow sticker has been wrapped around the handle. Anytime my luggage has been inspected at some point I have opened it to find the the little TSA sheet inside.
I was under the impression that no outside tag or marking was allowed to indicate that a firearm was inside. I heard United Airlines tried that and was made them take the tag off. I have also heard that the bar coded luggage tag used to contain a code that indicated a firearm and I believe that was stopped as well. I hope this is the case.

rolexbenz190e

imported post

swinokur wrote:
M1Gunr wrote:
I was under the impression that no outside tag or marking was allowed to indicate that a firearm was inside. I heard United Airlines tried that and was made them take the tag off. I have also heard that the bar coded luggage tag used to contain a code that indicated a firearm and I believe that was stopped as well. I hope this is the case.
I flew US Airways and they put an orange tag on my luggage that said "Heavy" even though my bag was at the allowed weight without any further charges. You think its just a way of marking for the employees that there is a firearm inside?

swinokur

Activist Member
imported post

I hope not. I don't know what qualifies a bag to get a heavy sticker. I'd hope it would only be one that was overweight. If it's under 50 pounds, IMHO it should have no tags other than the bar coded luggage tag. Something to ponder though.

Chaingun81

imported post

WheelGun wrote:
In New York City, law enforcement decisions are not carried out by a Sheriff's Department.

They are carried out by an agency known as the Geheime Staatspolizei or Secret State Police.

Wait, wrong agency....

In the County of Queens, NY, the county District Attorney's office has decided to criminalize the transportation of firearms through airports located in that county, despite the legality at the federal level. It is their decision.

NY makes me sick - how do you live there???

And how can they enforce laws that clearly violate the federal law?

Chaingun81

imported post

Carnivore wrote:
If you're flying from Ca. to Va. then New York is no more than a Restroom and stretch your legs break, You'll be fine unless your destination is new york and then a drive to VA.

What Wheelgun is saying is that in case your layover turns into an overnight stay and you take posession of your baggage, you are screwed.

Actually, you will only be screwed if you do the legal thing and declare the gun at the check in. If instead you just walk out of the airport, go to nearest fed ex office and mail it home, chances are they will never know... That what makes these laws even more retarded...

Chaingun81

imported post

I recently flew from Reagan National (DCA) to Lexington, KY and back with layover in Cincinnati. No problems either way. DCA guy didn't even look at the gun - just asked me if it's properly unloaded and secured - but had me wait by TSA to clear the X-Ray machine. The TSA guy there also just asked me the same question, brielfy looked at the screen and let me go. Didn't look at the gun either.

On the way back, woman at the check in asked to look at the firearm - she seemed to know something about guns as she qucikly glanced at the top of the magazine and then at the chamber where I had plastic orange tab inserted and asked me to lock it back up. Didn't have to wait for TSA either - seemed to me that Lexington airport transports LOTS of guns :lol:

I dunno if I'd take my gun with me if I had a NYC layover though. You know it's bad when you'd rather take a chance offacing a criminal unarmed than face government thugsabusing power while you do nothing illegal :cuss::cuss::cuss::banghead::banghead::banghead:

impulse

imported post

Don't ever allow the airlines to put on a special sticker. I have known people who worked ramp (people that load planes). If they are bored, or a plane is delayed etc, they will just open bags to see whats in them. Most the time they would'nt take anything, but occasionally they would.

Just food for thought.

Chaingun81

imported post

impulse418 wrote:
Don't ever allow the airlines to put on a special sticker. I have known people who worked ramp (people that load planes). If they are bored, or a plane is delayed etc, they will just open bags to see whats in them. Most the time they would'nt take anything, but occasionally they would.

Just food for thought.

I'm pretty sure that gets them fired really quickly. And I'd assume most of the areas where someone can screw around with bags are monitored.

Moscow SVO-2 airport had SERIOUS problems with stolen items from baggage in early 90s. After several high profile scandals and general public outrage, literally the whole baggage handling department was replaced, security cameras were installed everywhere where baggage is handled and anyone who is caught opening any bag was immideately fired and prosecuted for theft.That fixed theproblem very quickly.

Carnivore

imported post

KBCraig wrote:
Carnivore wrote:
Don't get excited if your firearm doesn't show up on the luggage carosel with the rest of everyones luggage, I've had em go to the lost luggage office before, and asked why, they said sometimes they do that to insure the proper owner claimes it and some other jon doe doesn't just grab it and walk away incase you don't make it to the carosel in time.. They've paged me over the intercom to come and claim luggage(gun cases) and verify ID before releasing it to you. I didn't mind the surprise, and was very appreciative of their concern for my property..

Since it is strictly forbidden to indicate in any waythe luggage that it contains a firearm, how did the receiving airport know what was inside?
Do you think you could make a lucky guess as to what was in a hard sided locked rifle case??

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
imported post

How long?

Usually, not more than 10 minutes. However, on one particular occasion I was delayed a good 30 minutes by a -- somewhat "slow" -- TSA goon who swore he saw loose rounds in my bag after running the through the x-ray machine. After tearing it apart and running it through the X-ray machine (several times for each activity), he determined that my mags were empty and no loose ammo could be found -- as I had repeatedly assured him was the case.

I never did find those loose rounds, or those 30 minutes. :quirky