• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Is the shortage over?

cynicist

imported post

I just went to pick up some gun oil, and went to look to see what they had in for ammo. I've never seen so much there at the same time. Bricks of 100 or 250 for 9mm, 40, 45, 380, 357, 38sp, 44, etc. They were storing some on the bottom shelves because the display shelf was full. Didn't pay much attention to the rifle ammo, but nearly every display spot was packed all the way to the wall.
The only thing they were out of was bricks of 22lr.
Primers had a 3-pack of 100ct limit though.

cbpeck

imported post

That's good to hear. I wish I was coming through Yakima at some point in the near future because someone forgot to tell the good folks in my neck of the woods to stop hoarding ammo.

I'll say this now... I'm not blaming people for buying mass quantities of ammo. I'd probably do it too if I had the money and opportunity. But as someone who lives on a budget and can't afford to drop $500 or more on ammo in one transaction, I'm sure frustrated that I can rarely find ammo, and even when I do I can hardly afford to shoot because prices are so much higher than they were a year ago.

MadHatter66

imported post

Out here our sportsman's warehouse has rifle ammo again, one of the guys at the counter said things are starting to come in now on the trucks. It looks like places are starting to get stuff back in. Had 3 separate places tell me that things are starting to return to normal, and ammo is starting to hang out on the shelves longer. Would be great to see... I am running out of .40 and .22 ammo...

fire suppressor

imported post

I have a few hundred rounds of 40s FMJ. I bought them knowing I was going to have fun with them and not stock pile them. I have more than enough hollow points to keep my guns full no reason not to have a little fun with them. If we keep stock piling guys the supply wont recover

cynicist

imported post

Maybe I should become a speculator.
It can't last forever. The manufacturers know that people want more ammo, so they're gonna make more, and probably keep it mildly scarce in order to sell it slightly higher. Eventually, some of them are going to put out a lot more in order to out-sell the other guys, and they'll all have to to keep up or go under. It's basic economics. I imagine in a year or two ammo will be back to pre-Obama prices.

cbpeck

imported post

cynicist wrote:
I imagine in a year or two ammo will be back to pre-Obama prices.

Ithink you're right, buta part of mefears you're mistaken.

If congress & the Nazidentback off and the proverbial $h!t never hits the fan, then prices should come back down and supply shouldlevel off withdemand.

JBaumgart

imported post

WalMarts here usually have pretty bare shelves, but Hole In The Wall and another, umm, location (gotta keep some secrets ;) )seem to be gettin stuff back. HITW even had the .22LR shelves full! Griggs in pasco seems to have a decent supply most of the time as well.

SANDRAT

imported post

All of the gunshops in Wenatchee are pretty well stocked with the common ammo,have been for a month.Check Hooked on Toys,One Shot,and Rockys.All are really good guys and I deal with all three.I have been looking for someone to split a 1000 RD case of SS109 Green Tip 5.56mm with me.

SpokaneIrish

imported post

Well all this panicked hoarding and no bans or taxs on the horizon. I think this is a good example of people being a little too willing to believe rumors that confirm their own beliefs.

I received an email yesterday about the new "2009" Gun Tax that is supposed to be coming through. This is recycled BS email from 2000 that was a lie then. It has gained so much traction that the NRA has had to make a post about it.

http://www.nraila.org/Legislation/Federal/Read.aspx?id=4925

The interesting thing to me is why people are so easily duped when presented with a scary scenario that confirms their beliefs. People race out and act on the bad information without thinking or checking on it.

The fact is that Obama has taken one meaningful step in the Gun Control arena. And that step was to sign legislation to INCREASE gun carry freedom.

I agree that we need to be vigilant and ensure that our second amendment rights are preserved. In the past few years we have won incredible victories. The Heller Case will forever make gun control legislation more difficult. We have a Democratic President, a Democratic House, and a super majority of Democrats in the Senate and there is NO gun control on the agenda. Think about how big that is.

Democrats have recognized that pro-gun constituents vote the issue. Anti's do not. They will talk about it, but they do not toss out congressmen for failing to pass gun laws. We will toss them for doing so. Congress has (in the short term) gotten the message.

The fact that we can be duped into racing out like lemmings to buy $500 worth of ammunition on a rumor is instructive. What do you think happens at the NRA when a scare happens? I bet they take in tons of money. They have a massive disincentive to tell people that things are going well. I think they are doing good work and keeping the pressure up as we should, but we need to recognize that they, like other sources of information, have a bias.

It also makes us look a little silly that we are willing to spray unconfirmed and wrong emails all over the place and race off to enrich ammo companies and gun dealers on rumors that they help to spread.

kwiebe

imported post

All I have to say is, better safe than sorry. If we waited until something was "on the horizon" I don't think that would be too smart, either. And even though there's nothing concrete to point to, it's not like the "fear" is completely unfounded.

I tend to go with what comes out of politicians' mouths. And there are plenty of soundbites from Obama on down expressing a desire to control guns. Congress critters are sneaky too, so who knows what bill they're working on in secret, ready to spring on us on a Friday afternoon, and of course without reading it. Far-fetched?

Read the news much lately?

The guy's also got 47 different "czars" in unconstitutional positions poised to control every aspect of our lives. Why not a "Firearms Czar?" All it would take is for some "emergency" to take place for Obama and Rahm to justify having one. I bet if that happened, your post above, spokane, would look very quaint real fast. No offense.

cynicist

imported post

it's not like the "fear" is completely unfounded.
If you take into consideration the "Blair-Holt" legislation that's been circulating over and over again all over the internet failed to get a single sponsor, or the 65 Democrats that wrote a letter urging to not try to reinstate the AWB, or the fact that Obama is yet to to ANYTHING regarding guns, I think it's nearing the paranoia side.

"For Democrats, Gun Control Fades From the Agenda:"
http://www.cbsnews.com/blogs/2009/07/22/politics/politicalhotsheet/entry5181043.shtml

kwiebe

imported post

cynicist wrote:
it's not like the "fear" is completely unfounded.
If you take into consideration the "Blair-Holt" legislation that's been circulating over and over again all over the internet failed to get a single sponsor, or the 65 Democrats that wrote a letter urging to not try to reinstate the AWB, or the fact that Obama is yet to to ANYTHING regarding guns, I think it's nearing the paranoia side.

"For Democrats, Gun Control Fades From the Agenda:"
http://www.cbsnews.com/blogs/2009/07/22/politics/politicalhotsheet/entry5181043.shtml
Under normal circumstances I'd agree with you. But we're clearly not in Kansas, Dorothy (see "czars," above, for just one example).

So, when you cite an article like that - an MSM one at that - all it really says to me is to watch for a change in tactics. "The propaganda has gone out to placate the sheep, now let's wait for an opportunity/emergency."

If you want to call me paranoid, so be it. But I'm paying close attention to what is going on in all segments, and trying to look at the big picture. This is a "big picture" type of administration, I think. I don't think you can necessarily predict what might happen by using the "old rules."

Watch for a gun-related emergency (probably a manufactured one) and see what happens. That will be a good test.

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
imported post

SpokaneIrish wrote:
Well all this panicked hoarding and no bans or taxs on the horizon.  I think this is a good example of people being a little too willing to believe rumors that confirm their own beliefs. 

I received an email yesterday about the new "2009" Gun Tax that is supposed to be coming through.  This is recycled BS email from 2000 that was a lie then.  It has gained so much traction that the NRA has had to make a post about it.

http://www.nraila.org/Legislation/Federal/Read.aspx?id=4925

The interesting thing to me is why people are so easily duped when presented with a scary scenario that confirms their beliefs.  People race out and act on the bad information without thinking or checking on it.

The fact is that Obama has taken one meaningful step in the Gun Control arena.  And that step was to sign legislation to INCREASE gun carry freedom. 

I agree that we need to be vigilant and ensure that our second amendment rights are preserved.  In the past few years we have won incredible victories.  The Heller Case will forever make gun control legislation more difficult.  We have a Democratic President, a Democratic House, and a super majority of Democrats in the Senate and there is NO gun control on the agenda.  Think about how big that is.

Democrats have recognized that pro-gun constituents vote the issue.  Anti's do not.  They will talk about it, but they do not toss out congressmen for failing to pass gun laws.  We will toss them for doing so.  Congress has (in the short term) gotten the message.

The fact that we can be duped into racing out like lemmings to buy $500 worth of ammunition on a rumor is instructive.  What do you think happens at the NRA when a scare happens?  I bet they take in tons of money.  They have a massive disincentive to tell people that things are going well.  I think they are doing good work and keeping the pressure up as we should, but we need to recognize that they, like other sources of information, have a bias.

It also makes us look a little silly that we are willing to spray unconfirmed and wrong emails all over the place and race off to enrich ammo companies and gun dealers on rumors that they help to spread.
I agree with this post.

I've become quite amused that Obama is basically behaving like Bush's third term, and has done nothing whatever to advance the gun control agenda, yet somehow out of the woodwork crawl those crying "revolution!"

Where have they been for the last century? Or even just the last decade?

Oh, and Czars have been around since the Prohibition of Alcohol. WTF does everybody keep acting like they are some new sign of times to come, rather than evidence that our government has needed a major overhaul for the past century?

kwiebe

imported post

marshaul wrote:
I agree with this post.

I've become quite amused that Obama is basically behaving like Bush's third term, and has done nothing whatever to advance the gun control agenda, yet somehow out of the woodwork crawl those crying "revolution!"

Where have they been for the last century? Or even just the last decade?

Oh, and Czars have been around since the Prohibition of Alcohol. WTF does everybody keep acting like they are some new sign of times to come, rather than evidence that our government has needed a major overhaul for the past century?
Even if I agreed that Obama = Bush (which I don't), so what? And so what that this has been going on for a long time? The point is, it's now on steroids, accelerating, and coming to a head.

Anyone else like to argue that there's no cause for alarm, this is all business-as-usual what's happening right now?

If this really is business-as-usual, what do you suppose is the reason, then, for so many to "come out of the woodwork" recently? I'm very interested in what you think the motivator might be, whether you think it's real or imagined.

Also, I take it that, in order to equate Obama with Bush, that you totally disregard what comes out of Obama's mouth and instead focus on his actions/policies. Is that wise? I'm just asking. And what would that say about Obama, that he's just a liar?

Oh right. All politicians are liars. And it doesn't matter what they lie about. All pols are the same, dems and GOP are the same, nothing matters, nothing's changed, nothing we can do, etc. That's depressing.