• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry protocol when attending Town Hall gatherings

Repeater

imported post

It seems the Democrats are now so scared of angry crowds showing up at their Town Hall meetings that some are calling for union goons to 'protect' them:

White House & DNC Release Labor Goons On Obamacare Town Halls

The nation's largest federation of labor organizations has promised to directly engage with boisterous conservative protesters at Democratic town halls during the August recess.
As the blog suggests:

WARNING: Please be smart, careful and bring cameras when attending Obamacare town halls ... But, don't let any thugs keep you away.
I would ask OCDO Super Moderators: what is your advice? May any OC'er carry or is that simply too provocative?

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
imported post

Depending on the particular jurisdiction, its statute law may prohibit being armed on public property or at large gatherings (Georgia IIRC). If the government personage tries to establish extra-legal security then that should be worthy of protest in itself.

Shades of being a campus organizer in the Sixties. Keep clean water, toweling and petroleum jelly handy for treating tear gas victims.

Repeater

imported post

Doug Huffman wrote:
Depending on the particular jurisdiction, its statute law may prohibit being armed on public property or at large gatherings (Georgia IIRC). If the government personage tries to establish extra-legal security then that should be worthy of protest in itself.

Shades of being a campus organizer in the Sixties. Keep clean water, toweling and petroleum jelly handy for treating tear gas victims.
Good advice. It seems that advice pertinent to LEO Encounters could be adapted to apply here, chiefly having a digital recorder on your person.

chiefjason

imported post

The one I want to go to is a no go. It's at the Town Hall, and there is a no carry on city property ordinance. If I get there I will carry an open holster though. You do what you can when you can. Unfortunately the one I need to have a meeting seems to be hiding during this recess. The one I might go to votes 99% the way I want anyway. Might pat him on the back.

R a Z o R

Banned
imported post

chiefjason wrote:
The one I want to go to is a no go. It's at the Town Hall, and there is a no carry on city property ordinance. If I get there I will carry an open holster though. You do what you can when you can. Unfortunately the one I need to have a meeting seems to be hiding during this recess. The one I might go to votes 99% the way I want anyway. Might pat him on the back.
We are also looking Chief .

Hiredgun30

imported post

i would go buy some

SABRE RED

1.33 % 2,000,000 SHU o.c.

size : Mark 4 Ballistic spray (not fogger)

we use it at the prison.. this stuff will drop giants..... about $15.00

carry that with ya

compmanio365

imported post

Here in WA, we can't be banned from carry in a city building due to state preemption (unless it's a courthouse)......I wouldn't go to one of these things without being armed, especially with the escalation in violence and anger the last week, and now with union goons from ACORN coming in as private security.....yup, I can see this blowing up out of control already.

I won't go at all, this is all a show that is so transparent it isn't even funny......a good wakeup call though when people see mobs at these town halls meetings and realize it isn't just them that is pissed off....that's what people need, to know they aren't alone in their thoughts and feelings about what's going on these days......the Obama administration is trying to marginalize and say this isn't real, it's all manufactured.....look at the videos and tell me it's all an act. It won't do us any good for the actual purpose of these meetings, cause the elected officials won't listen to us anyhow....but it does put on a good show and a "call to arms" of sorts. We really are getting to that point where revolution is just around the corner......I'm getting ready.

longwatch

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

I think there should be some analysis of the pros and cons of open carrying in this situation. Feel free to add any you can think of. Right now I'm feeling the need to OC but we are getting into a very hazardous situation at this time. I have a bad feeling about what is going to happen next.

Pros: Deterence to violence. Exercising of a vital right.

Cons: Firearm may be grabbed. Possible LEO or security hassles, SEIU has unionized some security companies. The opposition may paint you as part of an 'armed mob'.

KansasMustang

imported post

I've thought about OCing to a town hall myself. Only trouble is my congressmen and Senators in my district are all Republicans and are going to vote against the Obamacare bill anyhow. Have to check the regs on OC on public property for Kansas.

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I can't WAIT for those left union acorn goons to take a shot... These politicos have no clue what they're messing with.

JohnK87

imported post

I would carry concealed, and pray I don't have to pull it out. Video cameras and buddies are the way to go here.

Of course, four hard-piping union thugs coming after you is disparity of force, but you better be able to justify imminent threat to life if you are going to draw.

Open carry in such a contentious environment would not be advisable unless you WANT to get arrested.

KansasMustang

imported post

ixtow wrote:
I can't WAIT for those left union acorn goons to take a shot... These politicos have no clue what they're messing with.
I have a feeling, it'll be another "Shot heard 'round the world" This will make Concord Bridge look like a childs "tea party" God knows none of us wants any part of violence. We carry to protect ourselves and the 'sheeples" from it. Lord help us all if the first shot comes from a "law abiding" licensed carrier. THEY have to turn up the heat, they already have racheted up the violence,,Obama himself told his "goons" to get in our faces. I for one will not be a victim, and I pray that there will be reason on both sides, but I also am a realist. There's gonna be something bad happen, heck, it already has.

kwiebe

imported post

Well, I'd hate for anyone to get killed. But Liberty is a pretty good cause, in my opinion.

I wonder if we're about to witness the Boston Massacre, Lexington, and Concord of our time. Funny how a "shot heard 'round the world" is usually what it takes to make things interesting...

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
imported post

kwiebe wrote:
Well, I'd hate for anyone to get killed. But Liberty is a pretty good cause, in my opinion.

I wonder if we're about to witness the Boston Massacre, Lexington, and Concord of our time. Funny how a "shot heard 'round the world" is usually what it takes to make things interesting...
Eh, people are too lethargic, fat, comfortable, and entertained.

Many such shots have been fired in the past 2 decades. The actor is always marginalized and written off as a crazy, and everyone else just chants 'we're law-abiding and reasonable.' Everyone goes back to sitting on their thumbs and mocking the one who stepped forward...

Americans just don't care about staying Americans anymore.

Chaingun81

imported post

ixtow wrote:
kwiebe wrote:

Many such shots have been fired in the past 2 decades. The actor is always marginalized and written off as a crazy, and everyone else just chants 'we're law-abiding and reasonable.' Everyone goes back to sitting on their thumbs and mocking the one who stepped forward...

That's the truth right there...

kwiebe

imported post

Chaingun81 wrote:
ixtow wrote:
kwiebe wrote:

That's the truth right there...
I can dream, can't I? I pray it will be different this time. I do agree that we've been sliding this direction, with a few pauses, for about 100 years. But I do think we're witnessing the mother of all over-reaches here now. This may get people off the couches. I pray.

Tomahawk

imported post

ixtow wrote:
kwiebe wrote:

Yeah, everybody but you, right?

FMCDH

imported post

As a voice for a bit of moderation, and a touch of common sense, I don't suggest or practiceOCing at events that are emotionally charged, especially if the confines of the given forum will be crowded.

If you do choose to OC, go prepared to switch to CC if things get rowdy. The chances may be slim, but if a gun grab is going to happen at all, its best chance that it will happen at these kinds of events.

I wont go unarmed to these events myself for the very reason that they are hot spots for idiots and the occasional spur of the moment martyr. When I go to protest, I want them paying attention to what I am saying, not to what I am wearing and trying to spin something out of it later.

I carry for three reasons.First for self protection, then for others protection, and lastly as a political statement. My choices follow that line of progression.

JMHO

"Carry On!"

Skeptic

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Repeater wrote:
It seems the Democrats are now so scared of angry crowds showing up at their Town Hall meetings that some are calling for union goons to 'protect' them:

White House & DNC Release Labor Goons On Obamacare Town Halls

The nation's largest federation of labor organizations has promised to directly engage with boisterous conservative protesters at Democratic town halls during the August recess.
As the blog suggests:

WARNING: Please be smart, careful and bring cameras when attending Obamacare town halls ... But, don't let any thugs keep you away.
I would ask OCDO Super Moderators: what is your advice? May any OC'er carry or is that simply too provocative?

Looks like the OC guy in NH handled the goons quite well. They were spitting in faces, and pushing. Maybe even kicked though that is not seen in the video.

William Kostic, the NH townhall OC guy, was calm, and didn't bring out his gun or even make a moe towards it. And that thug was mighty BIG.

http://www.youtube.com/v/sUxjahek0f8

To me the scary part is the way they just strolled away into the crowd not daunted at all by the cops. Either they have done this plenty of times before, or they knew the cops would ignore them. Or both - since the cops seem to studiously avoid even looking at the thugs as they walk right by them - almost as to say "what thugs?"