• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Repair California

coolusername2007

imported post

Ever since I discovered the open carry site and movement (about a month or so ago) I have realized just how little I know about our federal and state constitutions. Growing up in another state and not really spending any time learning about the CA state political process I realized I don't know squat. Thanks to this site (and calguns) I have not only learned a lot, but I have also taken the time to figure out who my state representatives are. Then I began to wonder, how many people are just like me...relocated here after primary and secondary education, and not really educated in the CA state government process...no wonder why this state doesn't work! So in my quest for learning more I came across these sites that looked interesting.

This wikipedia site sums up the CA constitution...talk about an eye opener!!! Everyone should know this short history and basic CA constitution info...read here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/California_Constitution...then read here...http://www.repaircalifornia.org

Is anyone here involved with the Repair California movement? Maybe we can use this opportunity to get a 2A into the CA constitution!

Army

imported post

You shouldn't be surprised that most Californians do not know their State Reps.

Unfortunately, mine is Lois Capps (D) 21st district, who carved out the city of San Luis Obispo from the 22nd district during redistricting to capture the largest coastal population base from State Rep McCarthy (R) (who would have been our Rep had it not been for the "custom" new district).

Abel Maldonado, who ran as a Republican, turned out to be nothing more than a liberal in sheep's clothing.

Sam Blakeslee is a Republican, and votes the party line, but has too much personal baggage.

Lois owns the "thin blue line" in the otherwise very red county.

deforcer

imported post

Just be careful that you don't let the crazies "fix" California. (You can alwaysspot themwhen they declare that the root of California's problems is Prop 13.)

coolusername2007

imported post

Army wrote:
You shouldn't be surprised that most Californians do not know their State Reps.

Unfortunately, mine is Lois Capps (D) 21st district, who carved out the city of San Luis Obispo from the 22nd district during redistricting...

Lois owns the "thin blue line" in the otherwise very red county.
We can only hope the independent redistricting in 2011 (I think) will solve some of these problems and bring a little more balance to our state legislature.

coolusername2007

imported post

deforcer wrote:
Just be careful that you don't let the crazies "fix" California. (You can alwaysspot themwhen they declare that the root of California's problems is Prop 13.)

Yup. On the repaircalifornia site I noted there is a link to an article by the Economist that basically slams Prop 13. We will definitely want to watch out for this!

Also, after some more reading, it appears as though they are limiting the repairs to the following areas Governance, Elections, The Budget, and Revenue Distribution.

Would be interesting to attend one of their upcoming events. Anyone attend one of the prior events?

CA_Libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

I attended CA schools from 3rd grade on, and I still didn't learn jack about the state. The schools here FAIL hard on all topics, especially civics.

I'd be willing to bet 90% (or more) of Californians age 18-30 don't know who their reps are. Probably 75% of the same group don't even know who our represents our state in Congress.

I'm afraid of how the next generation will fare, now that we have the "no child left behind" BS...

In case you aren't aware, "no child left behind" significantly dumbs down education, as teachers prepare students to pass tests that don't include topics like history, science, or civics. Since these topics have no effect on school funding, teachers are being "encouraged" to spend less time on these subjects, and more on reading, writing, and arithmetic.

coolusername2007

imported post

CA_Libertarian wrote:
I attended CA schools from 3rd grade on, and I still didn't learn jack about the state. The schools here FAIL hard on all topics, especially civics.

I'd be willing to bet 90% (or more) of Californians age 18-30 don't know who their reps are. Probably 75% of the same group don't even know who our represents our state in Congress.

I'm afraid of how the next generation will fare, now that we have the "no child left behind" BS...

In case you aren't aware, "no child left behind" significantly dumbs down education, as teachers prepare students to pass tests that don't include topics like history, science, or civics. Since these topics have no effect on school funding, teachers are being "encouraged" to spend less time on these subjects, and more on reading, writing, and arithmetic.

CA schools are a disgrace. If I was a teacher, I'd quit just not be associated with an such an "institution". I hope I never have to send my kids to this public education system. I don't blame the no child left behind effort, I blame the school administrators and teachers. If they taught the kids then they would pass the test. Instead they take the easy road and teach the test and answers. It's their fault, not the intent of the program. Besides that who, in their right mind, would choose to work in a carnage zone!!!

I was in that 90% category, but not anymore. I now know who my state reps are (I did already know my fed reps) and I've written to them all on a variety of issues. And I learned, since joining this forum (and calguns) why voting for county sheriff is so important - I didn't know he/she was responsible for CCW policy.

coolusername2007

imported post

sudden valley gunner wrote:
..the way they draw the district lines are crazy..
Yep, but that is coming to an end very soon...or so we all are hoping. A recent election removed our state's politicians from drawing and redistricting their own regions. That's one major reason why the Democratic party has been the majority party in our state for the past 30+ years. Going forward the districts are supposed to be drawn by an independent party (like retired judges) and I think the first re-draw will go into effect in 2011.

wewd

imported post

California is probably the most gerrymandered state in the union right now. I can't remember the last time a district switched party hands, at least around where I live.

coolusername2007

imported post

wewd wrote:
California is probably the most gerrymandered state in the union right now. I can't remember the last time a district switched party hands, at least around where I live.

What do you mean "probably"? I would think its obvious by now.

By the way, anybody know who's running for Riverside county sheriff next year? Sure would be nice to get someone who supports the 2A and all that it implies.