• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Good Voice Recorder???

Fenris

imported post

Can anyone recommend a good 1 button voice recorder? Hopefully a big button. I'm all thumbs.

Thanks

Autonym

imported post

May or may not be useful for you, but I use my iPhone - it works great for me. With the new 3.0 version of iPhoneOS it comes with a free, built-in voice memo recorder application that automatically syncs with your desktop using iTunes.

Details on the software are here: http://www.apple.com/iphone/softwareupdate/

If you're in the market for a new phone and don't mind AT&T, I'd say it's a good deal.

smoking357

Banned
imported post

Autonym wrote:
May or may not be useful for you, but I use my iPhone - it works great for me. With the new 3.0 version of iPhoneOS it comes with a free, built-in voice memo recorder application that automatically syncs with your desktop using iTunes.

Details on the software are here: http://www.apple.com/iphone/softwareupdate/

If you're in the market for a new phone and don't mind AT&T, I'd say it's a good deal.
How do you keep a pig from stopping you from activating it?

Autonym

imported post

Keep it out of the pig sty?

Disrespect for LEO's aside, once you start it recording, you can switch apps and it will keep going - with a glowing red RECORDING banner across the top (it even pulses slightly to get your attention).

But, you can also click the display off, which looks like you've turned off your phone/recorder, but it keeps going and keeps recording.

6L6GC

imported post

you can shop around on the net and spend big money, or, just go down to radio shack and pick up one. they have 3 models. I got the "middle" one (in price) and it works great.

it has a "one button" activation. is fairly small. has good sensitivity. lots of capacity. is not too hard on batteries. easily downloads the files to a computer with the included cable.

works for me

Autonym

imported post

smoking357 wrote:
Autonym wrote:
Keep it out of the pig sty?

Disrespect for LEO's aside,
That's like saying "disrespect for carpet installers."

Since when am I obligated to give respect to any occupation?
I don't see the point of purposefully being disrespectful to anybody. I generally provide people a modicum of respect to anyone I meet - it's called "common courtesy". How much more respect I give them depends on how they act.

In fact, I know some pretty nice carpet installers.

I've found that if you go around acting like A-holes to people, you'll discover the world is full of A-holes. If you go around being polite to people, you'll find a lot of polite people. I guess if you're looking for A-holes, that's a good way to find them.

Each to his own, I suppose.

But enough about that - this thread's about recording.

If you already have an iPhone or were considering one, this works really well. Otherwise, I'd go with what 6L6GC suggested - the tried- and-true Radio Shack.

Another idea would be those 'video recording pens' or the button cams. Why settle for audio when you can do full video? A google search for "Wearable Spy Cams" comes up with some good hits. You can get something decent for around $200, and something cheap for about $100.

Having a pen in your pocket is normal enough. You could even be real subtle in how you activated it by pretending to try to write down the person's name who was harassing you.

smoking357

Banned
imported post

Autonym wrote:
Having a pen in your pocket is normal enough. You could even be real subtle in how you activated it by pretending to try to write down the person's name who was harassing you.
But only an A-hole would be getting harassed, right?

Autonym

imported post

Oh, don't get me wrong - there are jerks in uniform out there.

I'd like to carry a pen like this when I OC, but funds are a little short after picking up my new Glock and holster for it, so I'll settle for my iPhone for now.

But if I had one of these pens, I'd be turning it on the second I saw a LEO, sure. Because you never know, and by the time you do know, it's too late.

Even the good cops have a job to do if they've on a MWG call. Be courteous while they do their job and everyone wins.

smoking357

Banned
imported post

Autonym wrote:
Even the good cops have a job to do if they've on a MWG call. Be courteous while they do their job and everyone wins.
The cops have no "job to do" upon report of a MWG, absent more.

A MWG, absent more, is no different than a MWCar and merits no further inquiry.

I like your idea about activating the recorder as soon as you see the cop. In Florida, however, the cops say that they cannot be recorded.

Michigander

imported post

There are a lot of good ones.

I personally have a Sony which works very well. I also have a hideout "spy" camera which is finicky, but usually works okay. These things are available for well under 50 dollars on sleazebay.

In the states and places where open carry has been met with hostile police reactions, I suggest carrying a primary recorder, and at least one back up in case the primary gets taken, or stops working. The backup should be one of the hidden ones, disguised at a watch, button, pen, or other device.

shad0wfax

imported post

Fenris wrote:
Can anyone recommend a good 1 button voice recorder? Hopefully a big button. I'm all thumbs.

Thanks
Just get yourself an Olympus DS-40 and leave it on all the time where legal to do so. In super-high quality mode you still get over 8 hours of recording. Why bother making a movement to begin recording at the time you might need it?

Regular_Joe

imported post

smoking357 wrote:
Autonym wrote:
The cops have no "job to do" upon report of a MWG, absent more.

A MWG, absent more, is no different than a MWCar and merits no further inquiry.

I like your idea about activating the recorder as soon as you see the cop. In Florida, however, the cops say that they cannot be recorded.
Sorry...MWG=?
Man With a Gun?

Blackberries have the same type of voice recording functionality as the iPhone, but it seems to work best holding it up near your face.

I'd suggest an MP3 recorder. I have the Sony ICD-UX71 and it works great. Easy to kick off a recording, lasts several hours, has a ton (1GB) of memory, and sensitive mics. No cable needed - small cap pulls off of one end to expose USB connector. MP3 files download quickly. One button record, one button playback.

You can set it to activate when it hears sound - you can leave it on all day and not worry about it. Takes one AAA battery. I use regular alkaline which has lasted months, but a rechargeable would last longer.

I have had it to help with some writing I was doing, but from a few other OCDO threads I think I may be using it for OC support as well...

Edited: http://www.amazon.com/Sony-ICD-UX71-Digital-Recorder-Memory/dp/B001RB1XW0