• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open carrier arrested in Omaha

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

http://www.wowt.com/news/headlines/52583382.html

Political Statement Frightens Neighbors

Omaha Police rush to the Gifford Park Neighborhood after a caller reported a man, walking his dog, and carrying a big gun. The call was made on Monday, August 3rd shortly after 5PM.

It did not take officers long to track down a suspect. When they approached the 51-year old man he had his dog on a leash, and had a silver handgun in a leather holster around his waist.

When officers approached the man he allegedly told them he carries the gun around town on a regular basis, and it was his way of making a political statement.

He then asked to speak to the officers' supervisor.

After speaking with an Omaha Police Sergeant, James Medlock, 51 was cited and released. His handgun was confiscated.

TheMrMitch

imported post

PavePusher wrote:
"carrying a big gun" Hahahahahahahaha!:D

To paraphrase Crocidile Dundee: "That's not a gun. THIS is a gun..."

No.....THIS is.......:celebrate

Howdahtwo.jpg

rpyne

imported post

PolskiG wrote:
this guy is a weirdo
And this justifies denying his rights how? I am sure there are people who think you are a "weirdo", using your logic, you should be denied the right to keep and bear arms.

Thundar

imported post

The Nebraska OCDO page says: Complete state preemption of firearms laws except several localities have passed and are enforcing laws that appear to be illegal under the preemption statute.

Is there a Nebraska or illegal Omaha law that he could have been in violation of?

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Thundar wrote:
The Nebraska OCDO page says: Complete state preemption of firearms laws except several localities have passed and are enforcing laws that appear to be illegal under the preemption statute.

Is there a Nebraska or illegal Omaha law that he could have been in violation of?
Believe that Omaha requires a special permit to OC.

Yata hey

brolin_1911a1

imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
Thundar wrote:

Believe that Omaha requires a special permit to OC.

Yata hey

That's correct. Omaha passed such a law back in the early nineties because the city fathers couldn't stand the thought that open carry was legal in the state. So the city council passed a law requiring a permit to carry openly. To get the permit one must take a firearms course approved by the city department of public safety (police dept.), submit an application to the police, and pay a fee. IIRC, the city was sued a year or so after passing the ordinance because the department of public safety had refused to take any action whatsoever towards issuing training standards, hence no one could take the training and get the permit.

AB

imported post

Any follow-up or info on this case?

[line]

Nebraska Constitution states Article I, Section 1:

"All persons are by nature free and independent, and have certain inherent and inalienable rights; among these are life, liberty, the pursuit of happiness, and the right to keep and bear arms for security or defense of self, family, home, and others, and for lawful common defense, hunting, recreational use, and all other lawful purposes, and such rights shall not be denied or infringed by the state or any subdivision thereof. To secure these rights, and the protection of property, governments are instituted among people, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed".

Nebrakans have to wake up and realize the second amendment has nothing to do with guns, it's about the people -not the government,having the monopoly on power.

The Nature and Origin of Human Rights
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MkSHg3JV_V8

Ryan45cal

imported post

IIRC, the guy at one time had an Omaha open carry permit, but let it expire in protest of Omaha's open carry law. I'm not sure if that is the whole story or not, for some reason there was a lack of media coverage on this. I can't seem to find the follow-up story on it.

Now, while thatmay not have been a crime elsewhere in Nebraska, Omaha and other cities have several gun laws that are more restrictive than state law, sopeople need to be careful here. They have regulated open carry, require gun registration, made carrying tasers, stun guns, long guns, etc illegal, require fingerprints for all gun sales from individuals to gun stores, regardless if they are selling it at a pawn shop or wherever, etc.

The reason they can do this is because there is no full pre-emption in Nebraska, therefor cities make up new gun laws at will, which they do enforce. The only state pre-emption is for CHP holders, and that only extends to handguns that stay concealed. Before that went into effect in late 2009,a lot ofcities were banning ccw altogether. So at least it finally put a stop to that. However, cities are still trampling over the pre-emption for permit holders,anyway (Omaha gun registration and fingerprinting for one). They don't seem to care what is illegal, andwhile there are laws on the book, theydo not seem to be enforced against them.

Nebraska is a joke for gun rights.They can't, I'msorry, won't,even control their own cities.

Ryan45cal

imported post

I found this on the NRA website:

"2. Hawaii, Illinois and Nebraska do not have statewide firearm preemption of local ordinances. Connecticut, Massachusetts, New Jersey, and New York have preemption through judicial ruling, not statute. In Massachusetts, local ordinances may be imposed if approved by the state legislature."

It's good to know that Nebraska is grouped together with the likes of Illinois and Hawaii on this issue.:banghead:

brolin_1911a1

imported post

Ryan45cal wrote:
... Nebraska is a joke for gun rights.They can't, I'msorry, won't,even control their own cities.
From what I saw during the years I lived in Nebraska it's more a case of the cities, i.e., Lincoln and especially Omaha, control the rest of the state. A cabal of prominent publishers, investors, and academics from the Omaha and Lincoln areas appeared to have a death lock on the Unicameral.

I'm surprised that CHP is working out in Nebraska as well as it is because the original bill was practically a copy of the Omaha open carry ordinance. I'm also surprised that the Unicameral managed the gumption to actually pass preemption even if only for CHP.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Superlite27 wrote:
had a silver handgun in a leather holster around his waist.
Silver?

Wow. I have a few handguns that are stainless, but I don't think I've seen a silver one.

I wonder how silver wears over time?
Guess they would have a field day with "silver bullets."

They're for the vampires, don't you know. :uhoh:

Yata hey

Task Force 16

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
Superlite27 wrote:
Silver?

Wow. I have a few handguns that are stainless, but I don't think I've seen a silver one.

Yata hey
I believe silver bullets are for werewolves. Wooden stakes, driven into the heart, are for vampires.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Task Force 16 wrote:
Grapeshot wrote:
Superlite27 wrote:
Silver?

Yata hey
I believe silver bullets are for werewolves. Wooden stakes, driven into the heart, are for vampires.

Believe that Omaha (my old hometown) now has a hybrid cross of the two.

Besides I'm not exactly the Lone Ranger. :)

Yata hey

Statesman

imported post

PavePusher wrote:
"carrying a big gun" Hahahahahahahaha!:D

To paraphrase Crocidile Dundee: "That's not a gun. THIS is a gun..."
Gun? I clearly remember the knife scene, and the punk who tried to rob him and his soon-to-be girlfriend. It was a knife! "That's not a knife. THIS is a knife!"