• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

A great example of how laid back Wyoming cops are.

MamaLiberty

imported post

Waiting for some friends who live in Glenrock to post first hand reports of this incident to another board. I'll post when I can.

Just remember that more and more "cops" are being hired from other states. They do not understand Wyoming laws or customs. It's up to us to make sure they learn - or leave.

I have invited one such to participate in the CCW classes I teach. In order to do that, he must review the lesson plan and the laws. He's quite willing. Almost painless.

What have YOU done to educate a cop today? :question:

John Wolver

imported post

I educated a Wally world employee, I know thats one of your favorite things Mamaliberty ;). But I keep carrying just waiting to educate people more. I educate normal people all the time. Maybe thats helping to not educate many cops lately? lol

MamaLiberty

imported post

John Wolver wrote:
I educated a Wally world employee, I know thats one of your favorite things Mamaliberty ;). But I keep carrying just waiting to educate people more. I educate normal people all the time. Maybe thats helping to not educate many cops lately? lol
That's great, John.

Actually, I only go to WalMart about twice a year. It's 90 miles one way to get there from here. :lol: WalMart in South Dakota just happens to be the only place I've ever run into any sort of problem with open carry, that's all.

I educate anyone who asks about the gun or why I carry.
Guncard.htm
I have a card ( http://www.thepriceofliberty.org/Guncard.htm ) that I give them. I've given out hundreds in the last 3 years. These days I also give out my NRA Certified Instructor business cards. I have been teaching about 2 classes a month for those who wish to obtain a CC "permit."

I work in close cooperation with the Sheriff here, and of course his deputies. They will be covering the "legal" material for upcoming self defense classes.

Luckily, it is not difficult to work with and educate them because, by and large, they are truly "peace officers" here, not "law enforcement. It's a different world.
Guncard.htm

John Wolver

imported post

I understand the difference between peace and law enforcement guys. We have both here and I have had run ins with both. Walmart is 5 minutes away for us, so we are there a-lot, A-LOT, lol. So i get to educate a lot of employees and people, get the looks, and when i notice them i smile and say hello and good day. I like your card, I am looking at printing some up soon to hand out.

IDAHO COWBOY

imported post

# 1 - Wyoming Citizens, WYGO, and WSSA - should be all over this by e-mailing, calling, and mailing - the Governor, AG, County Sheriff, and Police Chief - every week until this case is closed.

# 2- Wyoming Citizens, WYGO, and WSSA - should consider drafting a Bill for your elected reps in Cheyenne to pass.

# 3 - Wyoming Citizens, WYGO, and WSSA - should remember next time it could be one of them - as in one of you reading this post.

http://www.ojp.usdoj.gov/nij/journals/261/stun-gun-safety.htm

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2009/06/27/eveningnews/main5119168.shtml

this is only part of the article:

But as of two years ago, the Bureau of Justice Statistics had already counted three dozen "Taser-related" deaths at the hands of police between 2003 and 2005, while in a 2008 report Amnesty International cited more than 50 cases where medical examiners found a Taser shock contributed to death.

Taser International disputes those findings as lacking scientific proof.

Peter Holran, the company's vice president for public relations and government affairs, told CBS News, "The electrical output of a Taser device is incapable of causing death."

He cited studies such as the work of Dr. William Bozeman at Wake Forest University, who examined 1,200 cases of Taser use by police and found serious injuries occurred less than one percent of the time.

Taser International sees its responsibility to "train the trainers" who show fellow officers how to properly use the devices. "The policy of when they can be used is up to the local community and the local agency," Holran said.

Moberly Police have suspended their use of Tasers indefinitely, as result of Batchel's wrongful death lawsuit, and will now deploy defibrillators in some patrol cars.

Outside her home, she has erected a shrine to her son, which lists the number of deaths reportedly attributed to Taser use by police.

Her settlement with Moberly also resulted in a $2.4 million payout, the maximum that could be obtained under the city's insurance policies. The primary beneficiary will be Harlan's son, who just turned one.

After a probe by the Missouri Highway Patrol, neither local nor state prosecutors brought criminal charges against the officers involved in Harlan's death. His family and their attorneys are appealing to the Justice Department to review the case in the hopes that prosecutors would consider bringing federal civil rights charges against them.

"I made a promise to our son that I would never give up, and I would fight for justice for him," Bachtel says. "You don't watch your child being murdered and feel the same about life."

AB

imported post

In the last few months there has been more than one case of misconduct, to think that one must rush into any incident without letting it play out would be absurd.

As more of these cases turn up you can be sure that lawyers motivated by the dollar will work these out.

Wyoming Highway Patrol Officer Kidnaps Wal-mart Driver with "Murder in Mind".

Two Wyoming Highway Patrol Officers Fired for Running Drugs from Mexico.

Police use excessive force on 76 Year old Man.

We have so many police officers that have never read the constitution, so never mind up-holding the constitution.

If anyone has "Draft Legislation" that will force LE to read and follow the constitution, I would love to see it.

The problem here is everyone wants to make new legislation, failing to fight for one simple value, constitutional rights.

According to our state constitution: Article 1 Section 24 “The right of the citizens to bear arms in the defense of themselves and the state shall not be denied.”

Any part of Wyoming's gun statutes are not constitutional, if it causes a denial of your rights to bear arms.

You should be to conceal-carry without a permit and without any fear of being accosted by the police or being asked to give up your Forth Amendment rights.

If a University of Wyoming,Professor or Studentis denied the right to carry on campus, it is a gross violation of their constitutional rights.

If a Citizen,during a traffic stop is told to get out of their car because they said yes when theLEO asks "do you have any weapons in the car?", again agross violation of constitutional rights.

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

IDAHO COWBOY wrote:
# 1 - Wyoming Citizens, WYGO, and WSSA - should be all over this by e-mailing, calling, and mailing - the Governor, AG, County Sheriff, and Police Chief - every week until this case is closed...
Georgia, Montana, Texas, Louisiana, etc. and now Wyoming!

My, my you get around!

Where are you located? It can be helpful to put your location in your profile so that others near you can coordinate/communicate more effectively.

IDAHO COWBOY

imported post

BB62 wrote:
IDAHO COWBOY wrote:
# 1 - Wyoming Citizens, WYGO, and WSSA - should be all over this by e-mailing, calling, and mailing - the Governor, AG, County Sheriff, and Police Chief - every week until this case is closed...
Georgia, Montana, Texas, Louisiana, etc. and now Wyoming!

My, my you get around!

Where are you located? It can be helpful to put your location in your profile so that others near you can coordinate/communicate more effectively.

You left out Oklahoma, Arkansas, and Idaho - also this is not my first post in Wyoming.

I travel all over the country at times but most of the time in and around these States for business and pleasure, depending on the time of the year.

Are you a troll ?

IDAHO COWBOY

imported post

AB wrote:
In the last few months there has been more than one case of misconduct, to think that one must rush into any incident without letting it play out would be absurd.

As more of these cases turn up you can be sure that lawyers motivated by the dollar will work these out.

Wyoming Highway Patrol Officer Kidnaps Wal-mart Driver with "Murder in Mind".

Two Wyoming Highway Patrol Officers Fired for Running Drugs from Mexico.

Police use excessive force on 76 Year old Man.

We have so many police officers that have never read the constitution, so never mind up-holding the constitution.

If anyone has "Draft Legislation" that will force LE to read and follow the constitution, I would love to see it.

The problem here is everyone wants to make new legislation, failing to fight for one simple value, constitutional rights.

According to our state constitution: Article 1 Section 24 “The right of the citizens to bear arms in the defense of themselves and the state shall not be denied.”

Any part of Wyoming's gun statutes are not constitutional, if it causes a denial of your rights to bear arms.

You should be to conceal-carry without a permit and without any fear of being accosted by the police or being asked to give up your Forth Amendment rights.

If a University of Wyoming,Professor or Studentis denied the right to carry on campus, it is a gross violation of their constitutional rights.

If a Citizen,during a traffic stop is told to get out of their car because they said yes when theLEO asks "do you have any weapons in the car?", again agross violation of constitutional rights.

Agree.

Have you posted the same above on your internet site ? e-mailed the members of the WYGO ? e-mailed the Governor, Attorney General, County Sheriff, and Chief of Police in Glenrock, WY ?

AB

imported post

IDAHO COWBOY wrote:
Agree.

Have you posted the same above on your internet site ? e-mailed the members of the WYGO ? e-mailed the Governor, Attorney General, County Sheriff, and Chief of Police in Glenrock, WY ?

You mean all the things that politicians expect you to do?

While at first blush, it seems like the right thing to do, sending emails to politicians is not our strategy.

"Paper Tigers" are rarely effective.

IDAHO COWBOY

imported post

AB wrote:
IDAHO COWBOY wrote:
Agree.

You mean all the things that politicians expect you to do?

While at first blush, it seems like the right thing to do, sending emails to politicians is not our strategy.

"Paper Tigers" are rarely effective.

Have you posted the same above on your internet site ? e-mailed the members of the WYGO ?

If the officials have the courage to reply, they do have the Duty to reply, then at least you have their thoughts / position on paper in writing with their signature or their e-mail address, no matter what the answer is good, bad, or diverting the issue elsewhere, you at least gave them the opportunity, if they did not take it then that is their problem when you take further action.

MamaLiberty

imported post

IDAHO COWBOY wrote:
Have you posted the same above on your internet site ? e-mailed the members of the WYGO ?

If the officials have the courage to reply, they do have the Duty to reply, then at least you have their thoughts / position on paper in writing with their signature or their e-mail address, no matter what the answer is good, bad, or diverting the issue elsewhere, you at least gave them the opportunity, if they did not take it then that is their problem when you take further action.
Well, Idaho, you just go do that to your heart's content. Those of us who don't choose to do so won't.

Or do you imagine you have some right to decide what's right for the rest of us?

We've heard your opinion. Now give it a rest.

Wyocowboy

imported post

Well, this whole thing is bad. I don't know the details of what happened yet but I do know one of the Officers involved. All I can say is I'm not surprised since he was involved. He is a "little" badge heavy. I work in LE and would have to say that in the Newcastle area, most LEO's are truly Peace Officers. Meaning they are interseted in public safety and protecting the citizens from the bad guys. I'm sorry to say that is not the case in all areas of Wyoming. Don't give up on Cops, keep working with them to educate them, they're not all bad guys out to violate the Constitution.

IDAHO COWBOY

imported post

At least looks like some folks in Glenrock, WY have a PAIR !

http://www.billingsgazette.com/news/state-and-regional/wyoming/article_98d65fba-869c-11de-9576-001cc4c03286.html

GLENROCK, Wyo. - Glenrock Police Chief Tom Sweet says two officers "probably didn't do things the best way" when they used a Taser on a 76-year-old man driving an antique tractor in a parade.

Sweet spoke at a packed town hall meeting Monday, nine days after Bud Grose was hit with a Taser during the town's annual Deer Creek Days.

The officers are on paid leave while state Division of Criminal Investigation agents investigate.

Mayor Steve Cielinski and most of the Town Council apologized to residents and asked for patience. Cielinski promised the findings will be made public.

"If we have to stand up and take it on the chin, we will," Cielinski said.

State investigator Tim Hill has said the two officers contend Grose disobeyed orders. Grose hasn't commented publicly, however, and investigators have not disclosed many details of what happened.

Sweet originally said it didn't appear any policies were violated.

Some at Monday's meeting called for the two officers to be fired. Several people who witnessed the event told the crowd police repeatedly shocked Grose with a taser.

"Those two were the most out-of-control officers I've ever seen in my life," said Scott McWilliams, a witness who said he was shoved by one of the officers. "These two guys got to go."

Mike Pyatt, a former Glenrock police officer, called on town leaders to make changes at the department.

"We will hold you accountable," he said.

Sweet, however, said he won't act before receiving the DCI report, expected by the beginning of next week.

"I don't want to take a knee-jerk reaction now," he said.

John Wolver

imported post

something definately needs to happen. tasing an old man, which then puts the public in more danger due to a run away tractor... is rediculous.