• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

FINALLY! King County Metro OC training bulletin for drivers.

warrenwilson

imported post

3796403787_d13b53e948.jpg
3796403813_067eb80931.jpg

EA-Emergency Alarm(send police)
TCC-Transit Control Center
PRTT-Priority Request To Talk

FMCDH

imported post

Excellent first post Warrenwilson!

Welcome to OCDO and thanks for that bit of info.

DEROS72

imported post

I Oc'ed on the 174 all the way downtown.The driver just looked at me and smiled.Met j213 for lunch.In walkin around passed several bicycle cops that barely gave me a second glance.All in all never had a problem on a bus.

1245A Defender

imported post

it good they are spreading the "its OK to OC word": but now i wonder if it is being implied, that there is no concern or difference between, loaded with proper credencials, or unloaded, and legal, with no permission slip requirement!

Tawnos

imported post

2, 4, 5 A defender wrote:
it good they are spreading the "its OK to OC word": but now i wonder if it is being implied, that there is no concern or difference between, loaded with proper credencials, or unloaded, and legal, with no permission slip requirement!
The fact they're saying it's legal and not putting qualifiers on it is great - it takes the interpretation of law out of the hands of the bus drivers. There's no implications, simply a "don't freak out and call just because someone is open carrying, only do it if they're behaving in a way that warrants you freaking out and calling."

sv_libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

CT already has trained it's operators on this matter. Gray Peterson got 'em to do it first, and I got 'em to do a refresher course after one of their operators freaked out over a cased longarm.

Kewl deal on the Metro bulletin!

Metalhead47

imported post

sv_libertarian wrote:
CT already has trained it's operators on this matter. Gray Peterson got 'em to do it first, and I got 'em to do a refresher course after one of their operators freaked out over a cased longarm.

Yeah, but they havn't officially told us that OC is, in and of its self, no reason to call in. They still hide behind the "If it makes you uncomfortable..." line :quirky

shad0wfax

imported post

Metalhead47 wrote:
sv_libertarian wrote:

Yeah, but they havn't officially told us that OC is, in and of its self, no reason to call in. They still hide behind the "If it makes you uncomfortable..." line :quirky
I disagree. They say specifically that
Operators are expected to use good judgement and notify the Control Center for Transit Police assistance whenever there is concern for safety. If a person carrying a holstered firearm is exhibiting any threatening or unusual behavior, please call for assistance. [...] Any open display of a firearm outside a holster should cause an EA call to TCC, followed by a PRTT, when safe to do so. Any passenger exhibiting menacing, erratic, or irrational behavior while carrying a holstered gun should cause an EA call to TCC, followed by a PRTT, when safe. [...] Use caution when reacting to situations involving a customer with a firearm [...]

The bold-faced emphasis was added by me. The underlining is in the bulletin. They very clearly list what types of behavior warrants a call. (It's essentially plain English for the legalese in 9.41.270 about manifesting an intent to intimidate or warranting alarm for the safety of others.)

I think they do a pretty good job of educating the Operators of their responsibilities without making Criminal Justice 101 a job requirement.

Metalhead47

imported post

shad0wfax wrote:
Metalhead47 wrote:
sv_libertarian wrote: Yeah, but they havn't officially told us that OC is, in and of its self, no reason to call in. They still hide behind the "If it makes you uncomfortable..." line :quirky
I disagree. They say specifically that
Operators are expected to use good judgement and notify the Control Center for Transit Police assistance whenever there is concern for safety. If a person carrying a holstered firearm is exhibiting any threatening or unusual behavior, please call for assistance. [...] Any open display of a firearm outside a holster should cause an EA call to TCC, followed by a PRTT, when safe to do so. Any passenger exhibiting menacing, erratic, or irrational behavior while carrying a holstered gun should cause an EA call to TCC, followed by a PRTT, when safe. [...] Use caution when reacting to situations involving a customer with a firearm [...]

The bold-faced emphasis was added by me. The underlining is in the bulletin. They very clearly list what types of behavior warrants a call. (It's essentially plain English for the legalese in 9.41.270 about manifesting an intent to intimidate or warranting alarm for the safety of others.)

I think they do a pretty good job of educating the Operators of their responsibilities without making Criminal Justice 101 a job requirement.
Yeah but I wasn't referring to Metro's bulletin, I was referring to Community Transit. They last officially addressed the issue to their drivers back in like December, and in that training bulletin plus further conversations I've had with management they've stopped short of recognizing that OC is legit.

busdrivertoo

imported post

Hi everyone, I'm new to the forum. Very interesting. I googled the subject after seeing the base bulletin.

One thing I'm still a bit confused on... I saw some folks on this forum post that a "loaded" gun in any kind of vehicle requires a CPL. But this Metro policy appears to indicate it's ok for OC on a bus (which I'm perfectly happy about).

I saw someone else post that maybe a bus driver could ask an OC person to show their CPL before boarding the bus to verify their legal authority to have a loaded weapon in a vehicle.

Seems a bit confusing. I'll be following Metro policy on this, of course. But I'd appreciate further insights.

Thanks,

Another bus driver.

brianstone1985

imported post

busdrivertoo wrote:
Hi everyone, I'm new to the forum. Very interesting. I googled the subject after seeing the base bulletin.

One thing I'm still a bit confused on... I saw some folks on this forum post that a "loaded" gun in any kind of vehicle requires a CPL. But this Metro policy appears to indicate it's ok for OC on a bus (which I'm perfectly happy about).

I saw someone else post that maybe a bus driver could ask an OC person to show their CPL before boarding the bus to verify their legal authority to have a loaded weapon in a vehicle.

Seems a bit confusing. I'll be following Metro policy on this, of course. But I'd appreciate further insights.

Thanks,

Another bus driver.
Welcome!

I read many of the same posts you did and came to this conclusion;

1. A loaded gun in a vehicle does require a CPL (including the metro buses)
2. It is OK to open carry on Metro Bus
3. You are not required to show your CPL to anyone but LEO's
4. Failure to show your CPL to the bus driver should they ask for it could lead to them asking you to not ride their bus and that would end the bus ride.

gsx1138

imported post

DEROS72 wrote:
I Oc'ed on the 174 all the way downtown.The driver just looked at me and smiled.Met j213 for lunch.In walkin around passed several bicycle cops that barely gave me a second glance.All in all never had a problem on a bus.

Yeah, but you look like a cop DEROS. :p