• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

open carry Q, please help

Ape

imported post

Techy wrote:
Went to the DOW office today in Montrose, CO. They said no problem what so ever on open carry anywhere around here. Except for the obvious stuff (bars, schools, etc). She didn't know about the whole "can't be considered concealed while hunting thing though"

I am carrying though (openly) no worries :)
Sounds like the same response I received today when I called the main office in Denver. The ladyI spoke with was very helpful and actually sounded as if the idea of being arrested for carrying while hiking or camping for "intent" to hunt was a bit proposturous.

mahkagari

imported post

Ape wrote:
The ladyI spoke with was very helpful and actually sounded as if the idea of being arrested for carrying while hiking or camping for "intent" to hunt was a bit proposturous.
I'd love to hear that more from LEO's during inquires: "Um, we have better things to do than bust chops of people not breaking a law."

Ape

imported post

mahkagari wrote:
Ape wrote:
The ladyI spoke with was very helpful and actually sounded as if the idea of being arrested for carrying while hiking or camping for "intent" to hunt was a bit proposturous.
I'd love to hear that more from LEO's during inquires: "Um, we have better things to do than bust chops of people not breaking a law."

I actually have a few friends that are LEO's. And I can't wait for them to come over and see my new door mat that's supposed to be here in a couple of days! :cool:

http://www.target.com/gp/detail.html/ref=DX410201?ie=UTF8&asin=B00020O572

I know they'll get a laugh out of it. Even though they all know it has a serious side to it coming from me! ;)

denniso_sco

imported post

New to the group here but thought I'd toss in my experience here. I recently took my daughter to Hunter Safety class and asked the DOW Warden this question as I always carry while hunting. His response for hunting was, if youopen carryyou are fine. If you do conceal, you need apermit.

If you are not hunting, you can open carry and should not have any issues. There of course will be the occasional warden that's having a bad day/new/all around grumpy that could bust your chops but the law is on your side.

On another note, if you are in a National Park they restricted any firearm of any kind but an Oklahoma Senator put a repeal of that restriction in one of the recent "Bail Out Bills". This was almost immediately "stayed" by a Federal Judge. However, I go to Yellowstone every yearand this year the "No Firearms" signs have been removed from the entrances.

Yooper

imported post

denniso_sco wrote:
On another note, if you are in a National Park they restricted any firearm of any kind but an Oklahoma Senator put a repeal of that restriction in one of the recent "Bail Out Bills". This was almost immediately "stayed" by a Federal Judge. However, I go to Yellowstone every yearand this year the "No Firearms" signs have been removed from the entrances.
That's incorrect.....

Pres. Bush changed the no weapons policy of the National Parks Service to allow concealed carry, as long as it was allowed by state law.
The anti's sued, and a judge ruled that it had to have some kind of enviromental impact study done.

Sen. Thune (I think), introduced an amendment to a credit card overhaul bill. The amendment passed, as did the entire bill by both houses of congress, and was signed by the President. This law goes much further than Pres. Bush's policy change. It forces the NPS to follow state law in how firearms are carried. Therefore, if OC is legal in the state, it will be legal in the National Park.

HOWEVER, due to the bill not going into effect until Feb '10, there is still essentially a no gun policy in national parks until then.