• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

1st Full Day of OCing 08/06/09

Jimmy.45

imported post

I'm new to the Forum and would like to share my 1st Full Day of Open Carrying. Usually I conceal with the occasional OC depending where I am going. I wanted to try an all day OC, no matter what and where we were headed.
Loaded and holstered - My toddler son and I started out the day with a few garage sales , which was uneventful, just a "Nice S&W" from a patron at one of the sales. I was to busy to notice if there was any concern from others about my gun showing, there was way to many deals to snag up. Next we stopped to see the wife and let her know that we were headed to the Medina County Fair.
I felt comfortable upon arrival and exited my truck, paid admission and walked to the lady that was stamping everyone's arm. We made eye contact and before she stamped me she held my arm aside some so she could get a better view of my gun. Her eyebrows dropped and she muttered a "HMMM" but didnt say a thing. Walked past the Sheriffs and just got a head nod. While waiting in line to put the kid on some rides, one fella said to his wife "He must be a cop" and later I heard a lady say "He's probably in the military, look at his haircut" :dude:
So all in all it was a great cloudy day at the Fair where I ate John Deere Icecream with my boy!

Lthrnck

imported post

First.. Welcome

Second... It's nice you had a good day OC'ing.

Third... Your remark, "I was to busy to notice if there was any concern from others about my gun showing, there was way to many deals to snag up" This kinda brought some concern when I read it.

Situationaly Awareness, is always important. If you were to busy to notice if anyone had any concerns about your firearm, then were youALSO to busy to notice any badguys. Just something to think about.

You will find that we try to critique each other about this and many other things when it comes to OC'ing. Helps us to stay on our toes.

But again Welcome, come back often and enjoy OC'ing.

Bustelo5%

imported post

I didnt even realize your city,dude you carry in East Lake I bet you get cops giving you awards that place sucks I used to live in Chardon and go visit that City along with painesville damn that place was horrible to live in.Dont wanna bash your town its just when ever I was there I wanted a full tactical vest armor couple hundred rounds of ammo and three of my marine buddies lol. Sorry for the rambling thanks for Ocing in our Area it makes a difference.

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

Bustelo5% wrote:
I didnt even realize your city,dude you carry in East Lake I bet you get cops giving you awards that place sucks I used to live in Chardon and go visit that City along with painesville damn that place was horrible to live in.Dont wanna bash your town its just when ever I was there I wanted a full tactical vest armor couple hundred rounds of ammo and three of my marine buddies lol. Sorry for the rambling thanks for Ocing in our Area it makes a difference.
Proper punctuation andcapitilization make for easier reading.

Jimmy.45

imported post

Third... Your remark, "I was to busy to notice if there was any concern from others about my gun showing, there was way to many deals to snag up" This kinda brought some concern when I read it....I only stated that in reference to the excitement of paying pennies for stuff that I will make quite a bit of money on. I assure that I am always AWARE of my surroundings.

I didnt even realize your city,dude you carry in East Lake I bet you get cops giving you awards that place sucks I used to live in Chardon and go visit that City along with painesville damn that place was horrible to live in.Dont wanna bash your town its just when ever I was there I wanted a full tactical vest armor couple hundred rounds of ammo and three of my marine buddies lol. Sorry for the rambling thanks for Ocing in our Area it makes a difference....Lorain does have its many areas that arent so inviting, but you can still ride or walk anywhere at night while packing! The dogs seem to be more of a problem, to me.

Just a weekend update: OCing all days. Bike ride with the boy to Oberlin on the bike trail. Stop at McDs for his fries, and to the kids play park across the street. We were the only ones there til a group of children came with a female adult. My boy was playing with them for awhile then One of the boys yelled " hes gotta a GUN" and mine said "yeah thats my DAD". Wasnt funny at the time, wouldnt want to say that in a crowded area....Sunday we set out with the wife and took a bikeride up to Lakeview park. She commented about my gun showing, I said it will be okay. Of course because of the weather there were more people there than I've ever seen. We rode around then proceeded to walk our bikes down to the boardwalk, passing 2 rangers and 2 auxillary officers and said HELLO. Chained up bikes and walked the beach, and let the kid play for an hour or more. Then ended the day with some K Kream Ice Cream . Just the occasional comments were heard but all in all its another lovely "uneventful" day in the neighborhood. I am prepairing myself for when people start to ask and want to know when, where, what law, what Ohio Constitutional Right, etc........Many thanks to the FORUM and its members, here I can learn what to respond to them with

Lthrnck

imported post

I'm glad to hear you were staying aware of your surroundings. Didn't mean anything bad about it, just new people to OC'ing sometimes forget those things, until they get more experienced with OC'ing.

Good luck and Carry On..!!!!

Jimmy.45

imported post

Your comment was a good one and nothing bad taken from it on my end. It helps and will help others to not let your guard down no matter where u are - always be aware.

Bustelo5%

imported post

I apperciate your carrying in an area thats pretty close to Akron.I guess my obervations come from being in the hood parts of East Lake/Painesville/Mentor Areas which are becoming worse and worse everytime a factory closes and then ends up becoming like Firestone a city that never was.
Thats awesome you carry with your kids.
I look foward to having my own and teaching them at the age of 4.
Keep on Keeping on

Shaolin_Dragon

imported post

Man, I live in Lorain myself, and have often wondered what the response would be to someone OC'ing there. I have jest never had a brass set big enough to do it. Always worried abount getting busted, arrested, fined etc.The wife and I and our 3 yr old often frequent Lakeview, and wouldnt mind OC'ing there sometime, while I wait for my CCW permit. NowI know that there is minimum problems, at least on the day you went out, then I might just do it.

I live over towards Leavitt Road, so might even try SuperK and the stores around there..if i grow a set!!

Wonder how people would react to seeing a stainless model 67 in a Fobus Holster. Not your typical semi-auto set up that a lot of people see, and assume to be an LEO.

Bustelo5%

imported post

Ohio Pds know that Oc is legal now dont wuote me on this but I think the guy who guy busted for CC with a military flap holster got busted in Lorain so be on guard. In any case thats the place you need to OC Cops are not the only people who get to OC and this needs to be made clear and dont let anyone tell you you loose your god given right to OC when you get your CCW. YOU ARE NOT REQUIRED TO CC AT ANYTIME PERIOD.
Make it your mission with your Kid that you carry around him/her to understand guns are not bad,and so other know there not taking your kid with out a fight.....and also you can be a sweet gun carrying dad who is responcible for their well being.
Dont let the soccer moms get you down jk lol

US Patriot

imported post

Thanks for sharing your first day and thanks for the other member's advice to make us all safer.

I just found this site. I have a CCW but haven't purchased a good concealed carry gun. I tried CC with my9mm but couldn't get it hidden very well so I've been going without it.But yesterday I was reading anarticle about the guys carrying at the town halls and this made me think, can I carry openly in Ohio. So I did a search on the webended up here.

To my delight, I now know I can carry openly in Ohio. So tomorrow just mightbe my first day.

Bustelo5%

imported post

US Patriot where abouts are you in Ohio? Well if your older than me it would help also for Ocing. I say this because I am 24 and i get some looks but you know I dont mind it at all. I will go as far to say every cop in Ohio knows you can OC and they are not the only people who get to so do it even if your the only one.

US Patriot

imported post

I am located in the Hamilton/Fairfieldarea, about 20 miles north west of Cincinnati. Lets just say it sounds like I'm old enough to be your father. I have kids close to your age.

Well I'll be spreading the news to others I know. I have several friendsthat have CCW and others that can't afford to get one. Now they know they can carry openly.

I have a feeling this just might spread with all the efforts byour federal government to take away our rights to live free.

If you haven't seen the video from Ted Nugget concerning our right to protect ourself, find it on YouTube and watch. It really says it all. We are a free people and have a God given right to protect ourself. No maggot has the right to take my life or anyone elses.

In God I Trust. How About You?

US Patriot

Bustelo5%

imported post

Hey thanks for bringing that up everyone on this site needs to hear that. He pretty much quoted everything our founding fathers said in their letters even before any of the Constitution was put on paper.
That's awesome I apperciate the older gentlemen carrying it gives me a good outlook. I for sure get alot of looks seeing I am as young as I am but I know that it will make a difference for all the other people my age who OCs in Ohio.

Yeah your right the more people dont take a stand for the human rights as a person the more difficult it will be in the future.

I am pretty mad at this country for taking away the rights of say your kids/ my siblings from the ages of 18-20 who have to jump through hoops just to protect themselves with a handgun. This needs to be taken care of quick.

US Patriot have you heard of people from Kentucky getting busted for loaded car carry with out a CCW? I was just thinking about that there may be people who cross the state line with a loaded gun in the glovebox and end up in jail.I figured it might be something that happens alot in the area you live.

BB62

Accomplished Advocate