• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

How to stretch a Galco gun belt

cbpeck

imported post

A little while back I bought a Black Galco Dress Belt:

http://www.usgalco.com/HolsterP3.asp?ProductID=2866&CatalogID=254

Its a great looking belt, but its about an inch shorter than I'd like. Unfortunately, I've kept it too long to consider exchanging it. Is there any way to get a little stretch out of the belt without damaging it? Even half an inch would help, but I'd take an inch if I could get it. I understand that gun belts are built to prevent stretching, but I gotta think they'll give a little bit. Any suggestions? Thanks!

.45acp

imported post

Try to carry with it for a few days, I have found that a gun belt will break in and gain about an inch over the first week or so of steady carrying as the holster and belt start to work together.

Don't try to use oils etc, they will soften the leather and it will be almost useless for a gun belt.

Steve

Michigander

imported post

A lot of times there will be a lot of leather or other belt material that hooks around the buckle itself. What you can do is use some of this leather by choking up on it so to speak. The original fastening system won't work, but you can bolt it down with a Chicago screw. This should definitely give you an added inch or 2. It won't look the same, but that won't matter because the overlapping section will cover it.

cbpeck

imported post

Michigander,

Its a good thought, but Galco did such a fine job crafting the buckleconnection that I can't bring myself to mess it up. I'm still hoping there's a way to expedite or increase the amount of natural stretch that gun belts have.

architect

imported post

cbpeck wrote:
Is there any way to get a little stretch out of the belt without damaging it? Any suggestions?
I can only suggest a three-step process that has worked for me (too) well in the past:

1) buckle the belt tightly around your middle,
2) consume burger and beer,
3) repeat until satisfied.

PT111

imported post

Instead of stretching the belt maybe you are like me and need to lose some weight.:lol: One inch shouldn't be so hard to lose.:banghead:

cbpeck

imported post

Yea, I have a 32 inch waistline. The belt is a 34. There's not a whole lotthere to lose. It has stretched some... I'm just trying to get a little more out of it. It has begun to take a natural curve. I think this indicatesthat its stretching some and compressing some. I think I'll try to wear it laced through the belt loops in the opposite direction to try to get it to stretch a little more, and then back to the normal way.

I've decided thatthe fit isclose enough that replacingthe beltisn't justified... unless someone wants a steal of a dealon a very nice 34 inch black gun belt.It really is one of the nicest looking belts I've ever seen.

Michigander

imported post

If it will stretch some, I would loop the buckle around a 50+ pound freeweight or something similar. Then use a 16 penny nail or similar sized metal peg to put through a couple of the buckle peg holes, and use that end to secure it around something like a coat rack. Let it sit like that for a week. If it doesn't stretch, it probably won't.

cbpeck

imported post

Michigander,

That's not a bad idea. I think I'll try it. A large nail in each of the 5 holes should keep them from getting too misshapen in the process, and the weight may just stretch it out enough to make a difference.

Thanks for the tip.

cbpeck