• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

is this new stock CA legal???

poothrowingape

imported post

I want a new stock for my SKS. this stock will recieve my fixed 10rnd mag as per CA standard.

However im not sure about the pistol grip situation. As far as i know it is legal because an SKS with a fixed magazine isnt an assault rifle because it says so here: http://www.calguns.net/caawid/flowchart.pdf

But would having a pistol grip make it an AW?

heres the link to the stock im going to buy

http://cgi.ebay.com/TAPCO-SKS-INTRAFUSE-T6-RIFLE-STOCK-SPIKE-CUT-DARK-EARTH_W0QQitemZ250451141206QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item3a500d2256&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

bigtoe416

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

The flowchart is golden. Do not doubt the flowchart. Actually, you should doubt the fowchart and look up the regulations yourself, because no judge is going to accept a flowchart as evidence.

You want PC 12276.1: http://leginfo.ca.gov/cgi-bin/waisgate?WAISdocID=62717315593+0+0+0&WAISaction=retrieve

You'll note that the pistol grip restriction is always preceded by a requirement that the rifle have a detachable magazine. Your SKS doesn't have a detachable mag, so the pistol grip nonsense doesn't apply to you.

CA_Libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

+1

It's really confusing, but that flowchart was developed by some of the best educated and brightest minds CA has to offer.

The key to "evil features" is that generally they're only illegal if the mag is detachable (without use of a tool). That's why everybody fixes their mags: so they can put pistol grips, etc on their rifles.

poothrowingape

imported post

awesome. thanks for your help.

On another note. I was on gunbroker.com and saw there was a gun dealer in bakerfield CA that sells CA legal AR's and AK's. You have the choice of having the pistol grip turned in to a shoulder stock and have detatchable mags, Or you can have the pistol grip with those fixed mags w/the special release contraptions.

Is there anyone in bakersfield that has been to the dealer? Or anyone who has a CA legal AR/AK?

how do you reload with those wierd fixed mag releases? i always figured you have to take the upper off yourAR's to reload, and would have to reload sigle bullets in to an ak.my sks takes stripper clips so luckily i dont have to worry.

Decoligny

imported post

poothrowingape wrote:

On another note. I was on gunbroker.com and saw there was a gun dealer in bakerfield CA that sells CA legal AR's and AK's. You have the choice of having the pistol grip turned in to a shoulder stock and have detatchable mags, Or you can have the pistol grip with those fixed mags w/the special release contraptions.

Is there anyone in bakersfield that has been to the dealer? Or anyone who has a CA legal AR/AK?

how do you reload with those wierd fixed mag releases? i always figured you have to take the upper off yourAR's to reload, and would have to reload sigle bullets in to an ak.my sks takes stripper clips so luckily i dont have to worry.

Those "wierd fixed mag releases" are called bullet buttons. They are simply a magazine release button that you cannot depress with just your finger. You have to use the tip of a bullet, or the tip of a ball point pen, or some other "tool" to release the magazine.

Having to use a "tool" to release the magazine makes it a "non-detachable" magazine per the PC.

So, to reload, you use the tool to release the "non-detachable" magazine, and then slap in another full magazine. When that one is empty, repeat as necessary.

poothrowingape

imported post

well that doesnt sound to terrible. believe me it sucks that you have to deform such beautiful weapons but until those laws are apealed then we gotta do it because gun laws only affect the people who choose to abide them ;)

mjones

imported post

Decoligny wrote:
poothrowingape wrote:

Those "wierd fixed mag releases" are called bullet buttons. They are simply a magazine release button that you cannot depress with just your finger. You have to use the tip of a bullet, or the tip of a ball point pen, or some other "tool" to release the magazine.

Having to use a "tool" to release the magazine makes it a "non-detachable" magazine per the PC.

So, to reload, you use the tool to release the "non-detachable" magazine, and then slap in another full magazine. When that one is empty, repeat as necessary.

'non-detachable mag' builds are only possible if your rifle is not a 'named' rifle. Describing the rifle as simply "SKS" is not enough information to determine if the rifle is a named rifle as SKS (and for that matter AK or AR) are often used as generic rifle-types vs their actual banned names.

So, if your SKS-type rifle is in actuality an "Norinco: 56" then it is still an 'Assault Weapon' regardless of what features are on the rifle and regardless of the magazine.

Legal AR/AK pattern rifles most certainly exist - but make damn certain that you know 100% they are legal. CA FFLs can make mistakes.

poothrowingape

imported post

mjones wrote:
'non-detachable mag' builds are only possible if your rifle is not a 'named' rifle. Describing the rifle as simply "SKS" is not enough information to determine if the rifle is a named rifle as SKS (and for that matter AK or AR) are often used as generic rifle-types vs their actual banned names.

So, if your SKS-type rifle is in actuality an "Norinco: 56" then it is still an 'Assault Weapon' regardless of what features are on the rifle and regardless of the magazine.

Legal AR/AK pattern rifles most certainly exist - but make damn certain that you know 100% they are legal. CA FFLs can make mistakes.

It is a norinco but no where on the weapon does it say 56.

It says as follows:

SKS 7.62x39CHINA NORINCO P.T.K. INT'L GA.

wewd

imported post

The only SKS classified as an assault weapon under California law is the SKS-D (or Sporter) model that accepts detachable magazines.

http://www.ag.ca.gov/firearms/forms/pdf/awguide.pdf

MANUFACTURER: Various
MARKINGS: SKS usually found on the left side of the receiver.
Comments: The SKS rifle was originally manufactured with a fixed 10 round magazine. However,
modified versions accept detachable magazines and are assault weapons.

I own a 1957 Romanian SKS imported by Century Arms. It cannot be classified as an assault weapon no matter how much tacticlol crap I put on it as long as it has the original 10 round fixed mag.