• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Last Night - Attempted Home Invasion at My House

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

nobucks wrote:
Also, I could see his hood and his shoulders through a small window on the right side of the door. When he would rear back to throw his shoulder into the door, I could see part of him. It's a split level home and I had more concealment than cover behind the wall on the second floor, but I had a great field of fire and had an angle even if he had started going down the stairs.

The attached pic shows my view of the door during the event. Like I've said before, had he known what he was doing, he could have breached the door very quickly simply by smashing the window, reaching in, and unlocking the door. This is one of the windows that is going to get security film.
attachment.php

Wow!!!! :what:

It would have been like shooting fish in a barrel if the idiot drunk had gotten in.

Perfect impromptu execution opportunity (IEO) for some among us (not you nobucks).They wouldn't have been able to resist....

Flintlock

imported post

Personally, I think whether it be a legal action or not, shooting through a door or other obstruction is bad practice because it violates one of the four major rules of gun safety. You should always be aware of your target as well as the surroundings.

As for the incident and the police response, in my state, there is a Community Service Patrol that picks up inebriates and keeps them until they are sober enough to wallow in public again. I am surprised that the police didn't take him to some sort of facility like that or at the very least, immediatelycharge him with attempted home invasion, criminal traspass, vandalism, drunk in public, disorderly conduct, or some othersuch charges.

The criminals' "motivations" are irrelevant as the police on scene have no way of truly knowing the real intentions of the criminal and you most certainly didn't know, couldn't know, and probably don't care what they were. All you knew was there was a man trying to kick your door in while screaming profanities.Obviously, not well-intentioned this man was.

In hindsight, there will always be Monday Morning Quarterbacks when these incidents are discussed, butI think you handled the situationvery well and you protected your family and did what you had to do. No one was hurt and that is all you can hope for in a situation like that.

B

Bikenut

imported post

mvpel wrote:
I hope you never have to shoot anyone, since that sign would undoubtedly be Exhibit A in the lawsuit filed against you by the ex-thug's baby-mama.
It is a sad state of affairs when the victim has to be afraid that anything not directly related to the crime will be used to get the criminal off....... or help that criminal's family victimize the victim again with... what I consider to be... a criminal lawsuit.

When those things happen it is obvious that the criminals... the dirt bags (the one who committed the crime.. and the family that tries to get rich off the victim) are the one's truly in charge of our system of .... Justice??????

:cuss::cuss::cuss:

Carnivore

imported post

mvpel wrote:
I hope you never have to shoot anyone, since that sign would undoubtedly be Exhibit A in the lawsuit filed against you by the ex-thug's baby-mama.
BU!! SH!!, there's no obligation to someone in the commission of a crime that one must first dial 911 before countering or stopping a threat!! Just like there's no obligation for a would be threat to warn you that you're about to become a victim of an illegal act/assault!! Just like there's no obligation for me to call an ambulance once I've shot an intruder/assailant!! Someone who choosesto assault me or intrude beyond the threshold of my home, needs to at least be well enough prepared for what ever events unfold to have 911 on their cell on speed dial!:lol:

protector84

imported post

Actually, I would say the sign should be even more of a protection against a frivolous lawsuit by a criminal's family. If the criminal has clearly been warned that trespassing will get them shot and then trespasses anyway, then too bad. I took my sign down, however, simply because they don't need a warning anyway. I have zero tolerance towards today's criminal scumbags. Here is an example:

[bad guy trying to break in]

[me racking a round ina shotgun]

[door comes off hinges, bad guy enters]

BANG!

"911 emergency. What is your emergency?"

"Someone just broke my door down and came in at me."

"Are they still inside your home?"

"Yes, but they won't be going anywhere. I just shot him."

"Is he dead yet?"

[set phone down, pick shotgun back up]

BANG! BANG! BANG!

[pick phone back up]

"He's dead now."

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

protector84 wrote:
Actually, I would say the sign should be even more of a protection against a frivolous lawsuit by a criminal's family. If the criminal has clearly been warned that trespassing will get them shot and then trespasses anyway, then too bad. I took my sign down, however, simply because they don't need a warning anyway. I have zero tolerance towards today's criminal scumbags. Here is an example:

[bad guy trying to break in]

[me racking a round ina shotgun]

[door comes off hinges, bad guy enters]

BANG!

"911 emergency. What is your emergency?"

"Someone just broke my door down and came in at me."

"Are they still inside your home?"

"Yes, but they won't be going anywhere. I just shot him."

"Is he dead yet?"

[set phone down, pick shotgun back up]

BANG! BANG! BANG!

[pick phone back up]

"He's dead now."

Humor of the gunlust/bloodlustvariety.

Not surprising coming from some people...

And it's really not funny when coming from certain, ahem, commando types...

However, your post reminds me about nobucks' failure to deploy his shotgun on the night of the, uhm, home invasion.

IIRC, after it was pointed out to him that a better weapon (than his 1911) could have been brought to bear on the perceived threat, nobucks said that he did indeed havew a shotgun....but that it was...uhm, somewhere...in the garage I think.

I'm wondering, with all the other adjustments that nobucks is making...if he figured out a way to keep the ole shotgun handy for any future self-defense events. I mean, why even keep it in the garage in the first place??? What good is it doing there?

I really think that nobucks did a good job in not shooting the drunk. But, in some respect, he wasn't all that prepared. So, it's a good case to think about. We can learn from it, both good and poor...

nobucks

imported post

The shotgun was in the garage because my son had a sleepover the weekend before and I didn't want his friends to accidentally come across it, so it was in the rafters in the garage.

I probably would have grabbed the shotgun had I had it in the house, but I think the pistol was still a better choice. Had he gotten in and gone downstairs, where my daughter was, I would have had to go down to get him with my daughter potentially in the line of fire. I'd rather have a handgun than a shotgun in that situation.

Now that she's back at school, the shotgun would be my choice.

On the signs such as the one above, I think they say to burglars, "Come in and burgle my guns while I'm at work!"

Joel

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

Sounds like you might consider acquiring a gun safe, nobucks.

If nothing else, you can have fun filling it up...

protector84

imported post

I don't see what the big deal is with using a 1911 vs. a 12-gauge shotgun. It simply means you may fire 10 shots if using a handgun vs. 2 shells if using a shotgun. Either way, you have one less delinquent on the street and one more delinquent facing a speedy trial before Judge Jesus.

[burgular breaking down front door]

911: "Don't argue with the burgular. Don't resist. Just give him whatever he needs. Officers are on the way."

[door comes off hinges]

Homeowner: "Ok. I'll give the bad guy whatever he needs."

Click! Clack! BANG!

911: "Sir. Are you ok? Was that shots fired?"

Homeowner: "Yes. I gave the burgular exactly what he needed."

911: "Has the intruder been shot? Does he need an ambulance?"

BANG! BANG! BANG!

Homeowner: "Not anymore...Can I get fries with that?"

nobucks

imported post

protector84 wrote:
I don't see what the big deal is with using a 1911 vs. a 12-gauge shotgun. It simply means you may fire 10 shots if using a handgun vs. 2 shells if using a shotgun.
My point was, if he made it through the door and the initial hail of gunfire, and made it downstairs to where my daughter was, I'd rather be able to take him with a headshot, than having to worry about "collateral damage."

Hank, yes, I do need a gunsafe. Maybe for Christmas?

Joel

protector84

imported post

Here is another sign idea:

"WARNING: No Trespassing. Violators will be shot. Survivors will be shot again until proven dead. Deceased may be brought back to life only to be shot yet again."

inbox485

imported post

protector84 wrote:
Here is another sign idea:

"WARNING: No Trespassing. Violators will be shot. Survivors will be shot again until proven dead. Deceased may be brought back to life only to be shot yet again."

HankT and I don't see eye to eye often, but I can't think of any US jurisdiction where that is not murder. In fact there is a certain pharmacist headed for prison for just that. You shoot to halt an eminent capable threat. Finishing off a wounded intruder who is no longer able and intent on causing great bodily harm is murder.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

WARNING:

No Trespassing.

Violators will be shot.

Survivors will be shot again.

Used to have such a sign on my back door years ago - I thought it was cute/funny. My liability insurance agent (a friend) did NOT and demanded the immediate removal thereof.

I of course complied and must point out that the sign did not, nor does not not reflect my thinking.

Yata hey

KBCraig

imported post

inbox485 wrote:
HankT and I don't see eye to eye often, but I can't think of any US jurisdiction where that is not murder. In fact there is a certain pharmacist headed for prison for just that. You shoot to halt an eminent capable threat. Finishing off a wounded intruder who is no longer able and intent on causing great bodily harm is murder.

Excessive force: 'When the entrance wound, exit wound, and hole in the floor all line up, that's one round too many."

(As stated by an old instructor of mine, explaining "shoot to stop", versus "shoot to kill".)