• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Vacation - Charleston

Caveman93

imported post

I will be spending some time this weekend in Charleston and I have a valid CCWP from NC. What are the guidelines for carrying on person? I called the Charleston Sheriff's office and they stated even though I have a validCCWP I cannot carry the weapon on me. Is this correct? I understand that open carry is not permitted.

Thanks - Cave

PT111

imported post

NC and SC have reciprocity adnd you can carry concealed with the CCWP or CWP as we call it. I am not sure what the LEO was thinking but concealed is OK but not OC anywhere other than private property, hunting or fishing. Concealed means concealed under normal wear of clothing and only covers handguns.

http://www.scstatehouse.gov/code/t23c031.htm
(M) A permit issued pursuant to this section does not authorize a permit holder to carry a concealable weapon into a:
(1) police, sheriff, or highway patrol station or any other law enforcement office or facility;
(2) detention facility, prison, or jail or any other correctional facility or office;
(3) courthouse or courtroom;
(4) polling place on election days;
(5) office of or the business meeting of the governing body of a county, public school district, municipality, or special purpose district;
(6) school or college athletic event not related to firearms;
(7) daycare facility or pre-school facility;
(8) place where the carrying of firearms is prohibited by federal law;
(9) church or other established religious sanctuary unless express permission is given by the appropriate church official or governing body; or
(10) hospital, medical clinic, doctor's office, or any other facility where medical services or procedures are performed unless expressly authorized by the employer.
Sign do have the force of law as long as the meet the requirements.

Hef

imported post

Caveman93 wrote:
I will be spending some time this weekend in Charleston and I have a valid CCWP from NC. What are the guidelines for carrying on person? I called the Charleston Sheriff's office and they stated even though I have a validCCWP I cannot carry the weapon on me. Is this correct? I understand that open carry is not permitted.

Thanks - Cave
Never ask an LEO for a legal opinion. You'll always get the wrong answer.

A valid CWP means you can carry a firearm in SC according to SC statutes. Because NC and SC have reciprocity, you are legal to carry here. We are a preemption state, so no county or municipality may enact or enforce any gun laws. If you're legal here, you're legal everywhere in the state.

I wouldn't consider going to Charleston without a firearm.

Splat!!

imported post

Hef wrote:
I wouldn't consider going to Charleston without a firearm.
I just returned from vacation around Charleston and I will second this advice, not fullyunderstanding SC laws regarding posting of places, I disarmed before entering a Waffle house because ofa little parking lot sign.............:cuss:

I was glad that the PD was on top of their game that night ............They were waiting on them..........Piece of advice, if you sit down at a waffle house and then see about six cruisers meetup in the parking lot and leave...............You should be right behind them leaving also..
:uhoh:

BTW anyone from there.........They allhad shirts on saying...... "Drama boys"

Splat!!

imported post

Doug Huffman wrote:
Not knowing which Waffle House you were at; I lived at the end of Calhoun Street 2.4 miles east of the WH near the round Holiday Inn. This is a good WH at which to be armed.

I got there late about 3am, checked into the motel six at the 17 and 526 exchange........there was a wafflehouse just down the road from there.....

I remember seeing the roundHoliday inn when I turned right to go toward Folly beach that night............We drove back because the holiday inn and Folly beach was having a dancing in the street party and no rooms available , so we decided to check out Edisto Beach and just checked into the Motel 6 ( you know it is a bad sign when your door has a bent frame from a pry bar)

JimMullinsWVCDL

State Researcher
imported post

Splat!! wrote:
I just returned from vacation around Charleston and I will second this advice, not fullyunderstanding SC laws regarding posting of places, I disarmed before entering a Waffle house because ofa little parking lot sign.............:cuss:
FYI, in South Carolina, private property CPZs where state law does not otherwise prohibit carrying must comply with the very specific signage requirements of S.C. Code § 23-31-235 to be enforceable. I doubt that "little parking lot sign" meets those requirements.