• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC into a bank, legal, not legal, anyone tried, and what banks?

John Wolver

imported post

Has anyone tried this yet? I had a knife on me awhile ago and was asked to take it out to the car by the manager. I did.Awhile later we talked.she told me it was federal property because the bank is FDIC insured. I asked her if no weapons were allowed why were no signs posted. She didnt know why. This was the Wells Fargo, Clearwater office, Caldwell Walmart.

John Wolver

imported post

So I am thinking I will print this off and take it in there, and have another talk. She was supposed to contact corporate and find out, maybe I will to.

brianstone1985

imported post

i can tell you as an employee, Bank of America's policy is that they will follow state law on the topic of firearms. I would advise informing them of that and letting them know they can call corporate to confirm.

BrianEMT

imported post

Legal 100%, I've only done it to the Wells Fargo branch on Overland/Five Mile, nothing really to report other than an anti-gun clerk.

John Wolver

imported post

I spoke to the clearwater branch manger in caldwell. She is going to look into it. For now i am going to respect her wishes while we sort it out.

aadvark

imported post

United States Federal Law 18 U.S.C. 930 prohibits carrying any Firearm to or while at any Federal Facility.

Banks are not Federal Facilites, and as such, no special gun-free zone for them.

There are a few States, that, unfortunately, ban Firearms in Banks though, but your State is not one of them.

If they ask you to leave, then, agree with them that your business should be taken elsewhere. There are many other Banks who would love to have your business.

Thelukaskezik

imported post

i was asked just to go through the drive-thru at one Zions bank in the area, so i do.

but one Q for ya'll... even if it's legal to take it into banks, they can still say it's considered "private property" and declare it a gun-free area, right?

IndianaBoy79

imported post

brianstone1985 wrote:
exactly! They are not federal property so it is legal but if they ask you to leave or not OC then you must obey or it would be considered trespassing.
Correction. If they ask you to leave, you must or its considered trespassing. If they ask you to leave the gun in the car and you refuse, you're not breaking any law yet. They still have to ask you to actually leave (or tell you to directly) before you can actually be trespassing. Small point, I know, but its important to realize its not a firearm issue, its a property rights issue. They same can be said of private property when you speak of wearing hats, bringing booze with you, or anything else. The gun is not the key factor here.

Thelukaskezik

imported post

i guess it COULD have a corporate-made rule against guns, but the trend here seems like it's up to the manager of the bank...