• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Gun prohibitionists practice new form of social bigotry

TatankaGap

imported post

great article Dave. What can be done to mitigate this kind of bigotry - it goes to the heart of the public's perception and the politician's perceptions -

any suggestions?

Task Force 16

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Good write up, Dave.

I've been tackling the anti-carriers at the tennessean.com for a few weeks now. Their arguments are just as you describe in your article. Name calling, insult slinging, faux evidence and statistics.

I've found that the best thing to do is to challenge them to cite their sources or empirical evidence to back up their foolish statements. That either shuts them up or they try to change the subject, the later I won't tolerate. I always insist on answers and before it's over others are too.

I've seen some that declare that they do not wish to have some "gun totin' cowboy" rescue them from harm. I've suggested that they post their photo online somewhere so that carriers can review them for future reference incase we come across them being assaulted. Or even wear an arm band that says "DON"T SAVE ME" so we don't infringe on their right to be a victem. So far, there haven't been any takers. Of course, I suspect that if a carrier didn't save their stupid butts, they'd sue the crap out of him/her for not using their guns to rescue them.

hp-hobo

imported post

Doug Huffman wrote:
You mean, of course, 'howdah pistol'. A howdah is the structure carried by an elephant.

Wow! Thanks for clarifying that for us Doug. For a while there I thought he meant he was gonna OC a "structure carried by an elephant". Now I can sleep at night again. What would we do without you? :quirky

584px-Howdah_%28PSF%29.png

Dave Workman

imported post

TatankaGap wrote:
great article Dave.  What can be done to mitigate this kind of bigotry - it goes to the heart of the public's perception and the politician's perceptions -

any suggestions?

One does not "mitigate" this sort of bigotry.

At best, we can ignore them, continue to work proactively with local police agencies, keep our eye on the ball so far as court rulings, and above all, never, EVER behave in a manner that can be construed as "in your face."

The law is on our side "most of the time." And I tossed that caveat in because, as we all know, unless we suffer some sort of monumental case of denial, there are folks in the ranks who go out of their way to call attention to themselves and the fact that they're packing.

Don't do that. When you carry, go about your business, tend to your own business and try to fly pretty much below anybody's radar.

There is a learning curve and most of the public is still behind it in terms of OC and even CC. How many years did it take for minorities to overcome civil rights abuses? In some places, they're still working on it.

Gun toters are still in the minority, in the public's perception. Be patient, polite and "professional."

Remember, the anti-gunners hate us for really no good reason. Perhaps it is a conformity issue, or they simply associate firearms with something or someone bad.

Don't confirm their biases.

Dave Workman

imported post

Doug Huffman wrote:
You mean, of course, 'howdah pistol'.  A howdah is the structure carried by an elephant.

What on earth does this have to do with the thread?

shad0wfax

imported post

Dave Workman wrote:
Doug Huffman wrote:
You mean, of course, 'howdah pistol'. A howdah is the structure carried by an elephant.

What on earth does this have to do with the thread?

Because of this response:

TheMrMitch wrote:
ohhhhhh! The wet panty syndrom would really top out if I CC'd orOC'd my Howdah. In all, I won't do it.......yet.:cool:
Someone else posted a picture of a Howdah. But, the howdah he's talking about is the big-bore shotgun used to kill tigers that attack the elephants or the people who ride in the howdah. The big-bores were called howdahs by the folks in India.

coolusername2007

imported post

TatankaGap wrote:
great article Dave. What can be done to mitigate this kind of bigotry - it goes to the heart of the public's perception and the politician's perceptions -

any suggestions?
Be armed...with knowledge. Those who are closed minded, you'll never reach. But do your best to prevent them from increasing the size of their ranks by proactively setting the story straight with the truth. I just started reading this book "The Seven Myths of Gun Control: Reclaiming the Truth About Guns, Crime, and the Second Amendment" by Richard Poe. Just about every paragraph I read has my eyes bulging...the disinformation and lies out there are simply amazing. I just started reading it and can already highly recommend it. Published in 2001 so the stats are a little dated, but still very relevant.

Task Force 16

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I just remembered something, concerning this bigotry thing.

On the Tennessean.com site we were having an exchange with some anti-HCP holder advocates in the comments section after one of the articles about Randy Rayburns lawsuit to block PC339 from taking effect. One of them accused HCP holders of practicing bigotry. I offered the definition of bigotry from my dictionary and challenged him/her to show proof that we were bigots. I also pointed out that it was their side that was doing all the name calling and slinging of derogatory slurs towards us, which according to the definition I posted, described them to a "T". My definition wasn't good enough for him/her, they posted their own (basically it was the same as mine except it mentioned groups) and continued to berate HCP holders as being of lower class and intelligence as they were.

Every comment the anti-gunners postis loaded with bigoted inuendo.