• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

When your gun turns out to be useless ........

Japle

imported post

Yeah, OK tell me exactly how an eye surgeon is supposed to "set" someone's eyes for different vision eh? Woudn't that sort of defeat the purpose of having Lasik surgery in the first place?

I suspect this story is BS.

Since both I and my wife have monovision, hers by LASIK, mine by Astigmatic Keratotomy, I can assure you that it can be done.

Our procedures were done by different doctors, both pioneers in their fields.

I'd like to tell you how it was done, but I missed that day in eye-doctor school. ;)

MSC 45ACP

imported post

Yeah, I kinda figured. I kinda liked the booby trap idea for burglars, though... I liked it until I found out it violated a few laws. Then I lost interest. :?

ocgso

imported post

I have perfect vision, but I keep a 25 LED high power strobe next to my 357 Mag. They will be blind and full of holes :lol:

Fortunately, my son is only 3, so if someone is that short and robbing me, they might actually get away with it.

This whole situation (with kids/visitors in the home) goes back to proper training. We had some friends stay over one night, and they heard a noise outside. They knew not to knock on my bedroom door or God forbid open it.:what:

They called my name from the adjacent room, knowing I would come out armed upon being awakened.

Turns out it was a stray dog. Either way, they knew the drill, nobody gets hurt.

Ezrider

imported post

chiefjason wrote:
Glasses first, on night stand, then gun, on amoire. Clothes a distant third. :shock: My house is small enough my wife or I should hear them messing with the door. Motion detector lights help also. Hopefully no naked guy with Glock story to come. :lol:

I have to LOL at this one i have cleared the house naked a couple of times after being awakened to strange noises in the house (both times turned out to be the cat knocking shit over)

wrightme

imported post

Japle wrote:

My wife got LASIK a while ago and as I was sitting in the waiting room, I struck up a conversation with the guy sitting next to me. He had a hell of a good reason for getting his eyes done.

A month before, he and his two teenage kids had been asleep when three BGs broke in.

The guy woke up to the sound of strangers in his house. He grabbed his pistol off the night stand and could see someone standing in the doorway of his bedroom. The problem was, he hadn't had time to put on his glasses and, with his very bad vision, wasn't sure if it was a robber or one of his kids. The BG jumped him, took his gun, knocked him to the floor, threw a blanket over his head and told him, "If you move, I'll kill you"! The poor guy didn't think he had any real choice, so he stayed where he was, ready to fight if he heard his kids being attacked. The BGs ransacked his house and left.

"I never want to be in that situation again", he told me.

Just goes to show you that your HD plan won't be worth a damn if the BGs don't follow your plan.
Realistically, he didn't have a "plan" if he couldn't identify his target during the need for HD.

Japle

imported post

Posted by Wrightme

Realistically, he didn't have a "plan" if he couldn't identify his target during the need for HD.

His plan included time to put on his glasses.

If the BG had given him time, he would have been able to get his glasses on andidentify his target. It didn't occur to him that things would happen so fast.

Lots of people get their SD/HD "plans" from watching movies and TV. In real life, there's usually very little, if any,conversation and damned little time to react. That's the way the BGs want it. If you're not ready to react fast, you're not ready. He wasn't ready.

Big Boy

imported post

I find this odd. I'm legally blind, and I can identify anyone at 'average room distance' without my glasses. That is not to say his eyes aren't much, much worse

I have 20/20 with glasses and I still can't tell who someone is 6 feet in front of me without my glasses. It's very possible. To be honest I had never thought about it, after reading this story I've started sleeping with my old glasses on.

inbox485

imported post

chiefjason wrote:
Glasses first, on night stand, then gun, on amoire. Clothes a distant third. :shock: My house is small enough my wife or I should hear them messing with the door. Motion detector lights help also. Hopefully no naked guy with Glock story to come. :lol:
I can see well enough to ID and hit a person from across the house without glasses, but assuming I have the extra 10 seconds, I have prescription safety glasses (tinted yellow to prevent bright lights from ruining my night vision), hearing protection, flashlight, spare mag, and an XD45. Further in the gunvault I have a backup Highpoint C-9 and spare magazines.

The laser pointer is another gimic. My doberman goes crazy chasing the red dot.
cA1_0zBp_1EAqZCnpNnLFw
cA1_0zBp_1EAqZCnpNnLFw

David.Car

imported post

Has Lasik done last November. I can't tell you how accurate my vision is because the Doctor only had a chart that went down to 15 and I nailed all of it with each eye individually and with both eyes... So I gues I am 15/15 until further testing ;)

jbeck

imported post

ocgso wrote:
Fortunately, my son is only 3, so if someone is that short and robbing me, they might actually get away with it. 

This whole situation (with kids/visitors in the home) goes back to proper training. 

Either way, they knew the drill, nobody gets hurt.
[/quote]

Good to know my man and I aren't the only ones. Our daughter's are 5 and 7. They know never to open our door. They knock and call out, then wait for a response. My fiance sleeps with an MP.45 on his side and I have a Springfield 1911 on mine. We've run unloaded drills (to avoid having to replace the door) using our lasers to be sure we are in a habit of aiming "dead" center on our door approx. 5' 6" up. That'll do for now until the kids get older. We also have squeaky boards strategically located in the floor in front of both entrances to our house. People find them annoying but we prefer to have any advantages possible in the event of a home invasion. Luckily I'm a light sleeper and it's my job to determine if it's one of our own at the door because if I don't give the okay when Daryle wakes up our door is shot along with anyone beyond it :shock:

Ah, and the relevance to this post: Daryle and I both wear contacts due to horrible vision. We alternate nights on removing and soaking them so that there is always one of us that give a description of what the intruder used to look like to the coroner. :lol:

SlackwareRobert

imported post

What is wrong with left eye on even days, right on odd for both of you?
I guess you could figure if she is shooting then just start lobbing lead at
the gray blob over there till it falls down.:cool:

hadn't though about squeaky floors before. We use the ol' attack cat. When
the claws rake down the BG back you just follow the screams.
Better than a pit bull.:lol:
She always jumps strangers from the bookcases when they pass unawares.

ocgso

imported post

jbeck wrote:
Good to know my man and I aren't the only ones. Our daughter's are 5 and 7. They know never to open our door. They knock and call out, then wait for a response. My fiance sleeps with an MP.45 on his side and I have a Springfield 1911 on mine. We've run unloaded drills (to avoid having to replace the door) using our lasers to be sure we are in a habit of aiming "dead" center on our door approx. 5' 6" up. That'll do for now until the kids get older. We also have squeaky boards strategically located in the floor in front of both entrances to our house. People find them annoying but we prefer to have any advantages possible in the event of a home invasion. Luckily I'm a light sleeper and it's my job to determine if it's one of our own at the door because if I don't give the okay when Daryle wakes up our door is shot along with anyone beyond it :shock:

Ah, and the relevance to this post: Daryle and I both wear contacts due to horrible vision. We alternate nights on removing and soaking them so that there is always one of us that give a description of what the intruder used to look like to the coroner. :lol:
[/quote]

Fortunately, neither of us wear glasses, so that is not an issue. Unfortunately, I am the sole defender for the family. My wife owns a gun, she shoots on a regular basis, and she is a REALLY good shot. BUT.......she will not keep a firearm within easy reach when she is sleeping:banghead:

Any tips on that?? She enjoys shooting, but feels that I am paranoid instead of prepared. She kind of feels like until our house gets broken into we don't need to be that prepared. I cannot get it through to her that if we get broken into that there may not be a second time to prepare for.......

On a slight tangent..... I did some experimentation this past weekend on cartridges fired in total darkness (out in the thick woods at 11pm).:what: Be very careful what you use for home protection due to muzzle flash. Some are quite blinding while others are quite reasonable.

A snub nose 357 will have you seeing spots for 2 minutes if fired in total darkness, where a 38special +P with 4" barrel is almost no flash at all. Just something to think about, it has changed my plan slightly.

Either way, the only reason I have a pistol in easy reach is so that IF I cannot reach my 12ga pump (hanging above the headboard) quickly enough, I can whip out the pistol.

inbox485

imported post

ocgso wrote:
jbeck wrote:

Fortunately, neither of us wear glasses, so that is not an issue. Unfortunately, I am the sole defender for the family. My wife owns a gun, she shoots on a regular basis, and she is a REALLY good shot. BUT.......she will not keep a firearm within easy reach when she is sleeping:banghead: Any tips on that?? She enjoys shooting, but feels that I am paranoid instead of prepared. She kind of feels like until our house gets broken into we don't need to be that prepared. I cannot get it through to her that if we get broken into that there may not be a second time to prepare for....... On a slight tangent..... I did some experimentation this past weekend on cartridges fired in total darkness (out in the thick woods at 11pm). :what: Be very careful what you use for home protection due to muzzle flash. Some are quite blinding while others are quite reasonable. A snub nose 357 will have you seeing spots for 2 minutes if fired in total darkness, where a 38special +P with 4" barrel is almost no flash at all. Just something to think about, it has changed my plan slightly. Either way, the only reason I have a pistol in easy reach is so that IF I cannot reach my 12ga pump (hanging above the headboard) quickly enough, I can whip out the pistol.

Consider keeping yellow tinted shooting glasses near your gun. I can think of plenty of examples where time won't permit you to get to them, but time allowing, the yellow tint will preserve your night vision following muzzle flash and flashlight use. Red works better than yellow, but it ruins your perception of contrast.

jbeck

imported post

ocgso wrote:
[/quote]

My wife owns a gun, she shoots on a regular basis, and she is a REALLY good shot.  BUT.......she will not keep a firearm within easy reach when she is sleeping:banghead:

Be very careful what you use for home protection due to muzzle flash.
Either way, the only reason I have a pistol in easy reach is so that IF I cannot reach my 12ga pump (hanging above the headboard) quickly enough, I can whip out the pistol.

[/quote]
Sounds to me as though she is still in the mindset of "guns are fun for the weekend". Not a bad place to start, especially with women, but unfortunately not the only reason they exist. I've never had this problem as my fiance says I wear the bigger tin-foil hat in our relationship. I do however have some tips on how I got my girlfriend to carry/sleep with one and she had a toddler running around at the time so e-mail me and I would love to share. jbeckstrom1223@yahoo.com

Re: muzzle flash. Honestly hadn't figured a way to combat that one. My night vision is not as great as my fiance's so I've mostly been hoping that my first shots won't affect him as much with his eyes closed in sleep and he can take over while I recover. Good point and will def have to put some thought into that one.

My old man sleeps with his AR15 on the floor (we have a low platform bed;) Keep hoping no BGs ever do show up because we may be deaf and have to replace windows afterwards:uhoh:

Felid`Maximus

Activist Member
imported post

TechnoWeenie wrote:
Tomahawk wrote:
This could also be a motion-sensor activated thing, with the sensors located at the points of entry.

You'd have to resist the urge to connect it to flamethrowers, though...:celebrate

Flamethrowers are classified as weapons and regulated by the BATF..

They neglected to respond to my emailed question about when propane torches legally become flamethrowers... LOL..

Under what classification? I've never heard that flamethrowers were federally regulated. I believe California is the only state that has significant flame thrower restrictions.

ocgso

imported post

inbox485 wrote:
Consider keeping yellow tinted shooting glasses near your gun. I can think of plenty of examples where time won't permit you to get to them, but time allowing, the yellow tint will preserve your night vision following muzzle flash and flashlight use. Red works better than yellow, but it ruins your perception of contrast.

I prefer choosing a firearm for my home that has minimal to almost no muzzle flash to begin with, then it doesn't matter. :lol:

I have a 38spl with 4" bbl that Ikeep loaded with Hornady Critical Defense. The muzzle flash in complete darkness is negligible, and I am not seeing spots after firing multiple rounds.

I have tested all of my guns in the deep woods late at night, and it is one of the best. Beretta 92 (M9 clone) is also a good one but has a little more flash than the 38....

Then I don't have to worry about grabbing for glasses. My plan is the same regardless of time......

inbox485

imported post

ocgso wrote:
inbox485 wrote:

I prefer choosing a firearm for my home that has minimal to almost no muzzle flash to begin with, then it doesn't matter. :lol:

I have a 38spl with 4" bbl that I keep loaded with Hornady Critical Defense.  The muzzle flash in complete darkness is negligible, and I am not seeing spots after firing multiple rounds.

I have tested all of my guns in the deep woods late at night, and it is one of the best.  Beretta 92 (M9 clone) is also a good one but has a little more flash than the 38....

Then I don't have to worry about grabbing for glasses.  My plan is the same regardless of time......

I also like the tinted glasses to keep my own flashlight from ruining my night vision, and they are prescription (I can shoot well enough without them, but they help). I try to be flexible. I prefer options over a fixed plan.

okboomer

imported post

Another solution to preserving night vision is to use a tactical flashlight ... they are bright enough to ruin BG's nightvision while allowing you to positively identify BG as BG.

XD40Coyote - I had intacs installed instead of lasik and haven't had any issues at all. Also, most Eye Centers will have a layaway payment plan that should fit your finances, it doesn't hurt to ask.

As for the intacs, I was a good shot with a rifle before the installation, I qualified Pistol Expert after the installation and shoot even better with a rifle now.

As you can see, there is no problem with my vision, but I had to 'reset' my distance estimates. Can you guess where I got the idea for this shot:

cards.jpg

Range: Outdoor, Wind speed: 15mph w/gusts to 22 mph, Wind direction: from R-L @45 degree from behind.

The Ace was shot with a Puma Carbine .357lever action, andSO said I was closer to 12 feet rather than the 8 I had already marked, and I did this on the first shot.

The 5 was shot with a Bersa Thunder .380 under same conditions, and this time, SO said I was closer to 10, as you can see, I shot twice, the top first, the bottom last.

I was sooooo excited as this was the second time I had shot after getting my eyes done (end of first week.) It is also great to get up in the AM able to see immediately!

The only thing I would not do after getting intacs was when certifying with OC, I would not take a live hit. After the $ I spent, I wasn't going to take a chance of the OC being absorbed by the intac. That's OK, I don't have to take the hit as I have had plenty of teary eyes from cutting jalapeno's for salsa!