• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

When your gun turns out to be useless ........

Japle

imported post

My wife got LASIK a while ago and as I was sitting in the waiting room, I struck up a conversation with the guy sitting next to me. He had a hell of a good reason for getting his eyes done.

A month before, he and his two teenage kids had been asleep when three BGs broke in.

The guy woke up to the sound of strangers in his house. He grabbed his pistol off the night stand and could see someone standing in the doorway of his bedroom. The problem was, he hadn't had time to put on his glasses and, with his very bad vision, wasn't sure if it was a robber or one of his kids. The BG jumped him, took his gun, knocked him to the floor, threw a blanket over his head and told him, "If you move, I'll kill you"! The poor guy didn't think he had any real choice, so he stayed where he was, ready to fight if he heard his kids being attacked. The BGs ransacked his house and left.

"I never want to be in that situation again", he told me.

The doc told him he'd have 20-20 vision after surgery. He'd arranged for the surgeon to give him "monovision", with his right eye focused from 8" to about 25" and his left eye set for distance. I had mine done that way and it's perfect for pistol shooting. I can see the sights in sharp focus and also see the holes in the target.

He'd already applied for his CCW and bought a new Glock 19, since carrying his 6" .357 wasn't a good option.

Just goes to show you that your HD plan won't be worth a damn if the BGs don't follow your plan.

protector84

imported post

I have poor vision myself and wear glasses but I live alone in a medium-sized apartment. I keep my glasses nearby but I would still grab the gun probably before my glasses. In some ways I have felt that smaller dwellings can be more cozy and safer than huge houses with huge lots. Sure, if you can afford those you can also have a good alarm system, a big fence, cameras, and all kinds of goodies to keep you safe. However, the more you have the more there is to protect. With a huge house, huge lot, and multiple floors and rooms, someone could be in your house and you wouldn't even know it. There would be so many places you'd have to look to find a potential intruder and so many places they could hide, that it would actually hinder your safety. Then if your house is also full of your friends and family, you have to hunt them down to figure out where they are. I've always believed, keep it simple.

N00blet45

imported post

Good point.

I imagine that you could work out a plan of action that wouldn't require perfect eyesight though. Challenging potential targets that aren't visible might be worth trying.

SlackwareRobert

imported post

My son and wife know the drill for invasion. No safe word then you are the target.
Besides I sleep with my glasses on anyways, so no need to waste time
retrieving them. Only time they are off is when I am otherwise not paying
attention to strange noises from outside the bedroom.:D

But does your family rush you when you have your gun out? That should also
be a clue as to the target. I will wait till we have 50 years of proof there
is no downside. My son can get it if needed in the future. But I am not
bothered by glasses. It gave me proof positive my eyes were open for my
first parachute jump, as I watched my boots distort as the slipstream
tried to blow them off of my face.

We had the local lasik doc on the radio down here, and I asked about getting
20/10 done, and was told they can't do that. If you can't adjust the vision
results how do they adjust the focal point? His answer about donor eyes also
made no sense, said it is great for that. But if you shape a lens then how
can putting it in another eye not require more shaping?
They need to have enough to shape before they will even do it for the original owner.

Only problem I can see is if the JBT kick my bedroom door in to check for more goons.
But that would be so slim I will worry about that fantasy after I stop the intruder.
Since the only way this could happen is if they were following the thugs already,
and then they should have stopped him at my front door.

chiefjason

imported post

Glasses first, on night stand, then gun, on amoire. Clothes a distant third. :shock: My house is small enough my wife or I should hear them messing with the door. Motion detector lights help also. Hopefully no naked guy with Glock story to come. :lol:

SlackwareRobert

imported post

I'll take the naked glock story over the
"Pump" action shotgun one. :lol:

But doesn't change that you should have already practiced what to do
in a home invasion situation. The governments 'run outside to a tree'
doesn't do it for me and mine.

jadedone4

imported post

I can personally attest to the wonders of Lasik, when performed by a qualified surgeon (I am now 20/15). I had it performed in 2004, took me about a year to stop attempting to adjust glasses or contacts when items were not clear (peripheral) - you do have to "learn" to look where you want to see, as your plane of vision (that can be corrected) is limited to directly in front of you (same as when shooting from most schools of thought - you 'point where you want the bullet to go.."). Slightly altered my shooting stance to adjust for sights (three-dot) - but have not looked back on the surgery and would have it done again.

Instinct-shooting is often what is used in most stressed-induced situations. After ascertaining that the GG's are accounted for, then that leaves the BG's and the dog - and doubt anyone is aiming low to hit the dog (so no worries unless you have Marmaduke in your house).

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Japle wrote:
My wife got LASIK a while ago and as I was sitting in the waiting room, I struck up a conversation with the guy sitting next to me. He had a hell of a good reason for getting his eyes done.

A month before, he and his two teenage kids had been asleep when three BGs broke in.

The guy woke up to the sound of strangers in his house. He grabbed his pistol off the night stand and could see someone standing in the doorway of his bedroom. The problem was, he hadn't had time to put on his glasses and, with his very bad vision, wasn't sure if it was a robber or one of his kids. The BG jumped him, took his gun, knocked him to the floor, threw a blanket over his head and told him, "If you move, I'll kill you"! The poor guy didn't think he had any real choice, so he stayed where he was, ready to fight if he heard his kids being attacked. The BGs ransacked his house and left.

"I never want to be in that situation again", he told me.

The doc told him he'd have 20-20 vision after surgery. He'd arranged for the surgeon to give him "monovision", with his right eye focused from 8" to about 25" and his left eye set for distance. I had mine done that way and it's perfect for pistol shooting. I can see the sights in sharp focus and also see the holes in the target.

He'd already applied for his CCW and bought a new Glock 19, since carrying his 6" .357 wasn't a good option.

Just goes to show you that your HD plan won't be worth a damn if the BGs don't follow your plan.
I find this odd. I'm legally blind, and I can identify anyone at 'average room distance' without my glasses. That is not to say his eyes aren't much, much worse.

How about a "Who are you?" "Woah, Dad, it's me!" BEFORE you point.

This does bring around an interesting point though. I don't advocate 'hunting by sound' or any variation of it, but there can be many reasons why you want to verify a target. Sound of voice seems like just another thing on the checklist.

I practice at 10 yards with and without my glasses. But I think it would be impossible to pull the trigger without positive proof of what my target is in that situation... No way would I take a chance of shooting my own son. That is a crappy situation indeed.

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
imported post

SlackwareRobert wrote:

This sounde like a Brady thing, hahahaha. Exactly what is a tree going to do for you? It can't even redial 911 and politely ask them to hurry because the BGs aren't waiting (gasp, shock) for the cops to get there...

FunkTrooper

imported post

ixtow wrote:
SlackwareRobert wrote:

This sounde like a Brady thing, hahahaha. Exactly what is a tree going to do for you? It can't even redial 911 and politely ask them to hurry because the BGs aren't waiting (gasp, shock) for the cops to get there...
I think your supposed to run to the nearest giving tree and ask it for a shotgun. See if you say just to run to a tree then that's pointless but if it's a giving tree the possibilities are endless.

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
imported post

FunkTrooper wrote:
ixtow wrote:
SlackwareRobert wrote:

I think your supposed to run to the nearest giving tree and ask it for a shotgun. See if you say just to run to a tree then that's pointless but if it's a giving tree the possibilities are endless.
Maybe they can ask it to give a damn (because I won't) as they lay bleeding to death hoping someone in the neighborhood will stroll by, and perhaps dial 911, and then hope they live long enough for the paramedics to arrive.... Maybe the Brady's will care then.

Oh, wait, they do; they do care. They love it when that happens. It gives them more tragedy to exploit.

Tomahawk

imported post

I am considering having a sort of large "panic button" on or near my nightstand that would switch on lights elsewhere in the house. Hear a crash, pop on the lights and grab pistol. Which lights come on in which rooms is to be determined, but I want to be able to identify targets standing at my bedroom door or in the hallways.

This could also be a motion-sensor activated thing, with the sensors located at the points of entry.

You'd have to resist the urge to connect it to flamethrowers, though...:celebrate

XD40coyote

imported post

My dwindling eyesite is something that can make me really mad at times. When I was 16 I had 20/10 in both eyes. By mid 20's it was something like 20/200. I don't know why it happened, but my mother has bad eyes, as does her mother, so it could be genetic. I hate wearing glasses and contacts are out ( tried them but couldn't undo my instincts to not stick things in my eyes). If Lasik etc was covered by health insurance I would look into it, but it is considered cosmetic- EVEN if I need my eyes to work. No way I can afford the full price. Now I read there is a distortion with it? I don't want that, I want my freakin 16 year old eyes back!

SlackwareRobert

imported post

Also look into xenon strobe lights, one flash from them and the attacker
is as blind as the rest of us. They will blind the night goggle attackers,
and also work wonders on the optic nerves of the normal vision visitors.
Have mine mounted on ceiling facing the doorway.

If you really want to go on the cheap, look for the aircraft lights at the local
junk yard. A bit large, but very bright and do the trick.

I am planning on using my 20/200+ vision to OC at atlanta coca cola museum,
they don't have the no guns signs in braille. Might let the seeing eye dog
carry as well, need to "look" into restrictions on them. :lol:

I plan for every contingency I can come up with. Then work on best way to exploit it.
Just need to sit and wait for the eyes to go downhill.

N00blet45

imported post

I just had the most awesome idea. I'm going to purchase some shades and a walking stick. Then I'm going to OC my handgun while wearing the shades and using the walking stick. I bet that'll make people nervous. :D Who knows, when the police show up to the blind man with a gun call they'll be more hesitant to throw me on the ground.

Tomahawk

imported post

N00blet45 wrote:
I just had the most awesome idea. I'm going to purchase some shades and a walking stick. Then I'm going to OC my handgun while wearing the shades and using the walking stick. I bet that'll make people nervous. :D Who knows, when the police show up to the blind man with a gun call they'll be more hesitant to throw me on the ground.
Haha! But I can see you getting tazed, bro.

SlackwareRobert

imported post

Just watch out. Is there any law against impersonating a blind man?
I know the handicap parking would be a law breaker, but does anyone remember
which congressman said being blind is not a reason to loose your 2a rights.
Would have been about 4 years ago I think.

I know my neighbor would never risk his, but an OC'ing pitbull seeing eye dog
would be priceless for the confrontation. As a federally protected class they
would be in a world of hurt for "detaining" him without cause.:cool:

Ironbar

imported post

Japle wrote:

Yeah, OK tell me exactly how an eye surgeon is supposed to "set" someone's eyes for different vision eh? Woudn't that sort of defeat the purpose of having Lasik surgery in the first place?

I suspect this story is BS.

TechnoWeenie

imported post

Tomahawk wrote:
This could also be a motion-sensor activated thing, with the sensors located at the points of entry.

You'd have to resist the urge to connect it to flamethrowers, though...:celebrate

Flamethrowers are classified as weapons and regulated by the BATF..

They neglected to respond to my emailed question about when propane torches legally become flamethrowers... LOL..