• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

When your gun turns out to be useless ........

inbox485

imported post

okboomer wrote:
Another solution to preserving night vision is to use a tactical flashlight ... they are bright enough to ruin BG's nightvision while allowing you to positively identify BG as BG.

You have to be careful how you use "tactical" flashlights. Shine one at a light colored surface near you and you can get flash blinded.

okboomer

imported post

That's why ya practice before you need it :lol:

Of course, I keep night lights around my house, so it is never truely dark, just very low light.

inbox485

imported post

okboomer wrote:
That's why ya practice before you need it :lol:

Of course, I keep night lights around my house, so it is never truely dark, just very low light.

My house has no nightlighting or street lighting, so on a day with no moon or thick clouds, it is dark. I've leaned from experience to watch what I shine my light at when it is like that.

SteveInAshand

imported post

FLASHLIGHT "and" a gun !!!

If john doe home owner is half blind then he needs what everyone at night needs a powerful flashlight.

If he could not see to recognize a friend or foe with a bright flashlight along with his gun at 20 ft ( how big can a bedroom be ) then he need's more than lasiks.

By the way were are the large 1 or 2 dog's that bark like hell at strangers and wag their tails at loved ones t let you know who is coming into the house ???

Japle

imported post

If john doe home owner is half blind then he needs what everyone at night needs a powerful flashlight.

If he could not see to recognize a friend or foe with a bright flashlight along with his gun at 20 ft ( how big can a bedroom be ) then he need's more than lasiks.

By the way were are the large 1 or 2 dog's that bark like hell at strangers and wag their tails at loved ones t let you know who is coming into the house ???
If he didn't have time to grab his glasses, what makes you think he'd have time to grab a flashlight?

I've been trying to remember how many people I know who have big, noisy dogs and I came up with ..................................

ZERO!

B

Bikenut

imported post

We have a bunch of those cheap "nite lights" scattered throughout the house. They give off just enough light to identify friend or foe.

And if, after a bump in the night, a room that has nite lights is dark... well... at least we know where the probable bad guy is.

We also have a code word for when returning to the bed room under duress. No code word ='s not a friend.

Oh yeah... those nite lights also help avoid stubbed toes during those nocturnal "pee" missions.

okboomer

imported post

I have a big black dog who has decided it is his job to protect my property and he takes that job very seriously. He barks if someone is in the alley, but generally not at any of the neighbors. He barks if someone walks by on the sidewalk in front of the house. He barks if someone walks down the street on the other side of the house (corner lot). The neighbors have assured me they appreciate it when he barks 'cause he doesn't bark at "nothing." He is my first line of defense.

My second line of defense is the noise someone would have to make breaking into my house - deadbolts on all doors, lockec, double paned storm windows on all windows.

As mentioned, night lights, and gun by my head at night. If I am out of the house at night and need to identify a potential target, the flashlight is blinked, and I move to another position.

It all comes down to preparation and practice. Go take an advanced pistol class of some sort ... First Response to Active Shooter, No Light/Low Light Shooting, Tactical Pistol ... there should be videos of shooting situations, discussion of shooting situations, practice of shooting positions, etc. Along with honing new skills, the classes are FUN! SERIOUS FUN!

New phrase: Running & Gunning All Day.

I believe it would be safe to say that most of us are interested in shooting for score or self-improvement. The advanced pistol classes are comprised of like-minded folks who appreciate guns and their purpose. You will make friends with men and women who share a passion with you.

SteveInAshand

imported post

Japle wrote:

If he didn't have time to grab his glasses, what makes you think he'd have time to grab a flashlight?

I've been trying to remember how many people I know who have big, noisy dogs and I came up with ..................................

ZERO!
ZERO were do you live in down town San Fransisco in a high rise for homo's.

Hell Micheal Savage as a 10 lb Poodle that is his watch dog alarm and he has a LOT creeps who actively want to kill him.

Your making my point, gun $500, Dog "free" they give them away on Craigslist and the pooch can see in the dark so they don't need flashlight , ;)

simmonsjoe

imported post

Firstly, My step-fathers Lasik WAS covered by insurance. double check on that.

Secondly, I'm not going to tell you not to clear your house, but if you can use
a barricade strategy it will help you avoid accidental shootings and put you at the
most advantageous position against an armed assailant. Obviously, if you have children or houseguests you may not be able to do this from your own room if BGs can get to other bedrooms without crossing yours. Make sure everyone in the house has a game plan. If you have a child whose doorway is covered by your line of fire down a hallway or whatever, and you still don't want them to be alone, teach codewords to tell them to either hide, or to crawl PRONE down the hallway to your room etc. The bright light Idea everyone is toting is great too. Just make sure you are behind (not directly) the light and in the dark. Good as being invisible.

simmonsjoe

imported post

Dogs are a good point. a couple of properly trained BULL MASTIFF's are arguably better than any gun you may have. They never mis-ID friend or foe, they are ridiculously loyal, and bred to be nearly IMMUNE to pain. They weigh up to 180lbs and the perfect blend of agility and muscle. The best thing? they LOVE kids. due to their insane pain threshold, your child could accidentally stab it in the eye with a stick and it wouldn't attack him. They also have a really good ability to judge a stranger's threat level.
I don't have one but I really want one, or maybe an English Mastiff.

Google 'em. bullmastiff's are rated to be best family guard dog. Other good ones for families are Rotties and Pinchers.

SteveInAshand

imported post

simmonsjoe wrote:
Dogs are a good point. a couple of properly trained BULL MASTIFF's are arguably better than any gun you may have. They never mis-ID friend or foe, they are ridiculously loyal, and bred to be nearly IMMUNE to pain. They weigh up to 180lbs and the perfect blend of agility and muscle. The best thing? they LOVE kids. due to their insane pain threshold, your child could accidentally stab it in the eye with a stick and it wouldn't attack him. They also have a really good ability to judge a stranger's threat level.
I don't have one but I really want one, or maybe an English Mastiff.

Google 'em. bullmastiff's are rated to be best family guard dog. Other good ones for families are Rotties and Pinchers.
Ya the B-Mastiff is great, "but" they slobber & drool like a cow chewing green spring grass, and they are soooooo big that when they wag there tails they send the TV remote flying thru the front window and air mail your beer glass into the next room, sheeeeeesh,lol.

My Pit Bulls have been great because they are hell in a "carry on" size container of ass whoop , little lovable nuclear weapons.