• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Busted Cherry

Bull Frog

imported post

Stuck one of my Colt Single Action Army revolvers(unloaded of course) in the back pocket of my blue jeans, and wandered outside to water the tomatoes. One vehicle drove by, and I became aware of a family altercation across the street - a woman was trying to take her kids away from the man that lives there. The little girl was running in and out with her toys, and I felt sorry for her.

She was in position to see the gun in my pocket, but she was too busy running back and forth, taking stuff out, then bringing it back in, and then out again... scared to death, needing love, not two adults that would put their children through such trama.

Anyhow, I guess nobody noticed the gun in my pocket. If they did, they did not call the police.

Bull Frog

ConditionThree

State Pioneer
imported post

Bull Frog wrote:
Stuck one of my Colt Single Action Army revolvers (unloaded of course) in the back pocket of my blue jeans, and wandered outside to water the tomatoes. One vehicle drove by, and I became aware of a family altercation across the street - a woman was trying to take her kids away from the man that lives there. The little girl was running in and out with her toys, and I felt sorry for her.

She was in position to see the gun in my pocket, but she was too busy running back and forth, taking stuff out, then bringing it back in, and then out again... scared to death, needing love, not two adults that would put their children through such trama.

Anyhow, I guess nobody noticed the gun in my pocket. If they did, they did not call the police.

Bull Frog

Your OC 'cherry' isnt busted yet. A firearm in your back pocket is dangerously close to being concealed. What's more is that it doesnt appear to me that you are heeding much of the advice that has been desiminated in our cozy little corner of OCDO.

I want to be constructive with my criticism- no ill will is intended.

1) If you want to open carry, I believe you should invest in a belt holster with some retention- at the very least a thumb break to secure your weapon. If someone were to walk up behind you and yank it out of your back pocket with little difficulty.

2) While I realize that you were in your own yard, it would have been prudent to have some recording device running in case there were some kind of encounter. Your story indicates there was an altercation across the street with which you could become entangled if the police were called for a domestic dispute.

3) You do not indicate whether or not you had ammunition for the firearm you were carrying. The absence of which, negates the practicality of carrying a firearm for self-defense.

Please take the time to review the suggestions outlined in the Noobie thread.

Bull Frog

imported post

ConditionThree wrote:
Bull Frog wrote:
Stuck one of my Colt Single Action Army revolvers (unloaded of course) in the back pocket of my blue jeans, and wandered outside to water the tomatoes. One vehicle drove by, and I became aware of a family altercation across the street - a woman was trying to take her kids away from the man that lives there. The little girl was running in and out with her toys, and I felt sorry for her.

Bull Frog

Your OC 'cherry' isnt busted yet. A firearm in your back pocket is dangerously close to being concealed. What's more is that it doesnt appear to me that you are heeding much of the advice that has been desiminated in our cozy little corner of OCDO.

1) If you want to open carry, I believe you should invest in a belt holster with some retention- at the very least a thumb break to secure your weapon. If someone were to walk up behind you and yank it out of your back pocket with little difficulty.

2) While I realize that you were in your own yard, it would have been prudent to have some recording device running in case there were some kind of encounter. Your story indicates there was an altercation across the street with which you could become entangled if the police were called for a domestic dispute.

3) You do not indicate whether or not you had ammunition for the firearm you were carrying. The absence of which, negates the practicality of carrying a firearm for self-defense.

I'm still a virgin! I left the bullets on my desk, but the back pocket of blue jeans exposes the a 4 3/4" SAA Colt about the same as any holster and has been a common method of open carry for what, 150 years? But I do have about five holsters for that weapon type. In fact, I have more leather than metal.

If you let someone sneak up behind you while openly armed, a thumb strap, or any other similar restraint won't stop some fool trying to take your gun, because you would be the first fool,allowing the second fool to sneak up behind you and act stupidly.

Sons of Liberty

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

I agree with ConditionThree.You need to be very meticulous about incorporating the details laid out in this forum when you UOC.

There's the devil in the details and their will be hell to pay if you don't pay attention to them!

A little mistake can be very costly!

TatankaGap

imported post

Further, it does not make a positive contribution to the public image of the open carry movement to stuff your piece into your back pocket -

I advocate for:

1) Proper gun belt (see http://store.thewilderness.com)
2) Proper holster - for public open carry I prefer a full cover holster with retention strap; for forest open carry, I prefer other holsters -
3) carrying ammo (mags on belt in a mag holder on your gun belt; bullets in pocket or on belt -
4) carrying a tactical knife
5) carrying voice recorder - cheapie from Walmart fits nicely in my mag holder
6) carry an empty mag in the well (for deterrent effect)
7) carrying proper ID in case you need it -
8) wearing presentable clothing (clean t-shirt; for public I prefer a polo shirt) - check out [font="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"]www.511tactical.com[/font] if you have budget for tactical clothing for the public so much the better -

optional - ballistic vest - (if you're worried about getting shot by a rookie :)

It's a bit gangsta to slap your iron into your back pocket and head out the door. If the police rolled up on a domestic violence call and saw you, they would assume the worst. Even if you had your hip holster on your gun belt, you would be questioned most likely by the police if they showed up -

This is exactly the kind of 'lone wolf' activity that creates FUD among the 'stand down on UOC' crowd -

As they say, "bad facts make bad law." :what:

I'm glad you got back inside your house before any serious interactions -

Carry On!

Decoligny

imported post

Bull Frog wrote:
ConditionThree wrote:
Bull Frog wrote:

Bull Frog

I'm still a virgin! I left the bullets on my desk, but the back pocket of blue jeans exposes the a 4 3/4" SAA Colt about the same as any holster and has been a common method of open carry for what, 150 years? But I do have about five holsters for that weapon type. In fact, I have more leather than metal.

If you let someone sneak up behind you while openly armed, a thumb strap, or any other similar restraint won't stop some fool trying to take your gun, because you would be the first fool,allowing the second fool to sneak up behind you and act stupidly.
The only thing that the judge or the jury is going to hear it the cop saying, "He had the gun in his pocket!" To the average person that is going to sound exactly like "He had a concealed hangun!"

Go to jail, do not collect $200.00.

In CA we have cops that actually misread the "in a holster worn openly on the belt is not concealed" to mean that ANY carry that is not in a belt holster is subject to easy misapplication of that one statement in the law.

N6ATF

Banned
imported post

Decoligny wrote:
In CA we have cops that actually misread the "in a holster worn openly on the belt is not concealed" to mean that ANY carry that is not in a belt holster is subject to easy misapplication of that one statement in the law.

If they even bother to read it at all instead of just arresting you for owning a gun, period.

coolusername2007

imported post

Bull Frog wrote:

I don't know anything about your virginity and don'twant to either. But keep it up and you'll just be plain busted.

CA_Libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

By the letter of the law, Bull Frog didn't do anything illegal, even if this is considered "concealed carry" (despite the firearm being plainly visible).

Code:
12026. (a) Section 12025 shall not apply to or affect any citizen  of the United States or legal resident over the age of 18 years who  resides or is temporarily within this state, and who is not within  the excepted classes prescribed by Section 12021 or 12021.1 of this  code or Section 8100 or 8103 of the Welfare and Institutions Code,  who carries, either openly or concealed, anywhere within the citizen'  s or legal resident's place of residence, place of business, or on  private property owned or lawfully possessed by the citizen or legal  resident any pistol, revolver, or other firearm capable of being  concealed upon the person.
However, considering that some DA's seek to redefine "private property" as exclusive of any place "open to public access" (e.g. your front yard), I recommend discretion if you're going to carry concealed outside of the walls of your home.

TatankaGap

imported post

FWIW, whenever I'm in CA and outside any area where LEOs regularly patrol, I CC on private property outside the walls of the house - even though technically CC on his own property, the 1/2 & 1/2 (i.e., sticking it out of the back pocket) especially in a publicly viewable yard, makes it an issue - visibility wise -

I encourage everyone to CC on their own property if for no other reason than it gives practice in carrying which is hard to get in CA and is very important to safety IMHO -

Discretion is always recommended -

Decoligny

imported post

TatankaGap wrote:
FWIW, whenever I'm in CA and outside any area where LEOs regularly patrol, I CC on private property outside the walls of the house - even though technically CC on his own property, the 1/2 & 1/2 (i.e., sticking it out of the back pocket) especially in a publicly viewable yard, makes it an issue - visibility wise -

I encourage everyone to CC on their own property if for no other reason than it gives practice in carrying which is hard to get in CA and is very important to safety IMHO -

Discretion is always recommended -

While you may CC on your own property, if you aren't out in unincorporated territtory, you had better be CCing an unloaded gun.

PC 12025 (concealed carry law) does have an exception in 12026 for private property.

PC 12031 (loaded carry law) has the phrase "in any public place" in it. This has been determined in People v. Overturf to mean any place that is accessible to the public, even if it is private property. So if somone can walk across your lawn to ring your doorbell, then your front yard is a "public place" on private property, and carrying a loaded firearm is therefore illegal.

If you happen to be lucky enough to live in unincorporated territory where discharge of a firearm is not illegal, then by all means, CC loaded on your own property if you so choose.

TatankaGap

imported post

Excellent clarification Decoligny, thanks -

I am lucky enough to be in an unincorporated area where shooting is not prohibited when I visit CA and so I CC loaded.

Back at home in SD, we're hosting an Open Carry Cafe for people who like guns & coffee then a trip to the local range for an hour of shooting ~ :celebrate

david.ross

imported post

TatankaGap wrote:
Further, it does not make a positive contribution to the public image of the open carry movement to stuff your piece into your back pocket -

I advocate for:

1) Proper gun belt (see http://store.thewilderness.com)
2) Proper holster - for public open carry I prefer a full cover holster with retention strap; for forest open carry, I prefer other holsters -
8) wearing presentable clothing (clean t-shirt; for public I prefer a polo shirt) - check out [font="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"]http://www.511tactical.com[/font] if you have budget for tactical clothing for the public so much the better -
thewilderness belts are NOT proper gun belts. What rubbish. I do have a belt, which I should note I paid 35USD, not 90USD.

This is a real "gun belt" (link below)
http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum62/26872-1.html#p455675

This is a PROPER holster (link below) - level V holster. Not I, II, or III... V!
http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/view_topic.php?id=29210&forum_id=62&jump_to=501534#p501163

A proper gun belt is a "duty belt", I've posted information on this many times.

Tactical clothing is what I wear, I've a better experience while open carrying while wearing such clothing. I wear 1997 matterhorn boots as well, but the California fashion police might arrest you for "causing unintentional fright to the gun grabbers."

CA_Libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

That's fine if that's what you like, but not everybody wants/needs the same things you do.

I carry in a Blackhawk SERPA lvl II holster. I wear a leather belt, which I paid maybe $9.99 for at Wal-Mart. I typically use the pancake attachment, but have also carried for extended periods wearing it purely attached to the belt.

That setup works just fine for me. Even a highly trained and seasoned veteran of the Turlock police department can tell you how hard it is to disarm me - and he had both my compliance and verbal instructions on how to operate the holster.

But thanks for stopping by and sharing what you like. Always interesting to see how others get the job done.