• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Concealed Carry "Badge"

ahhclem

imported post

Hi:

I was wondering if there was a reason to buy one of the "badges" that are made for concealed carry. The people selling them state a reason, but there are laws about badges that might be mistaken as "Law Enforcement".

I would appreciate any opinions on this. They cost about $45 to $60, which I don't want to spend if there is an issue with the badges.

Thanks.....David, Savannah, GA

LeMat

imported post

ahhclem wrote:
Hi:

I was wondering if there was a reason to buy one of the "badges" that are made for concealed carry.

There is absolutely not one single reason to buy one.

You have your permit. That is all that is required or needed.

A "badge" is edging into mall ninja territory and you definitely do not want to go there. ;)

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Welcome to OCDO!!!!

This has been discussed afew times on threads of similar name over the last year or two.

Most of the opinion was against.

I don't recall the thread titles. You might try the forum search feature.

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

Badges?We don't need no stinkin' badges!

Seriously, wearing a badge risks confusion of you being a police officer and not a normal citizen, so how are you promoting citizen carry rights and educating the public if you do this?

Dutch Uncle

Campaign Veteran
imported post

This issue comes up again and again. I wish one of the administrators would post a sticky about this issue so the stake can finally be put through this vampire's heart! :banghead:

miken9660

imported post

ok, i see that the general consensus on CCW badge is "shouldn"t do it", but... let me ask if there is a LEO or someone else out there that can answer this one, I'm a sergeant and a site supervisor for an armed security company, while off duty I still carry a spare mag, cuffs, handgun andsecurity officer badgebecause even when we're not scheduled to work a site we sometimes get called in to handle a situation, i almost always carry these items concealed, I have Michigan CPL, i've been asked before if i was a cop and always say no as do my fellow officers, i guess i don't really have a question concerning this but just wanted to see if anyone had any pro or con thoughts about it. I know what i carry isn't illegal and i myself never thought that the CCW badge itself was a very bright idea either

N6ATF

Banned
imported post

Badges are meant to be seen so people can identify you as a particular class of person.

Uniformed cops generally have to wear a badge or lettering on their clothes identifying themselves.

Those not exposing their weapons should only need to provide their badge when identifying themselves.

"Civilians" with concealed carry infringement receipts, erm, permits don't need to ID themselves to anyone but police (and sometimes not even then). Flashing the police a badge would likely lead to an arrest, whether supported by the law, or not at all.

My family used to be heavy users of the Badge-A-Minit system, assembling, and selling them for fundraisers. To me, a badge is a protected freedom of expression, if it does not resemble any law enforcement badge within your state or federally within the past however many years.

I would like to see a totally unique badge made for open carriers to clip or pin next to our guns. Perhaps something understated like this:

dsc7214wu5.jpg

Or more overtly, "2A" with sword hilts sticking out the top and the closed section of the letter A filled with the stars and stripes (not sure about scale on that).

This would express the protection under which we carry, without seeming to be police-like to anyone intelligent enough to breathe.

shad0wfax

imported post

ahhclem wrote:
Hi:

I was wondering if there was a reason to buy one of the "badges" that are made for concealed carry. The people selling them state a reason, but there are laws about badges that might be mistaken as "Law Enforcement".

I would appreciate any opinions on this. They cost about $45 to $60, which I don't want to spend if there is an issue with the badges.

Thanks.....David, Savannah, GA
I personally think they're a bad idea.

If you want a concealed carry badge, just forget about the badge and open-carry. An openly carried firearm says everything a CC badge says, without getting into the gray area of impersonating an officer.

WheelGun

imported post

A badge is specifically used to communicate a specific authority in reference to a public safety function.

Police, Fire, EMS personnel arrive at a scene and the authority represented in the badge/uniform give the individuals access to the scene and calm the public.

Carrying a lawful personal firearm as a civilian is not a public safety function.

Therefore no badge.

SlackwareRobert

imported post

My DC order to appear is badge enough for me!:cuss::cuss:
I'll hang it next to my letter from my senator telling me he turned me into the IRS.

At this rate I will run out of frames, and wall space. Maybe my cell will have more room.

TexasShooter

imported post

I am a LEO for eight hours a day, and when I carry in the line of duty I carry a badge issued by my agency. As far as the other sixteen hours in in my work day and thetwenty four hours on the weekends I carry concealed unless on my property "where I OC, because I live in Texas". On my property my gun identifies me "badge not needed". When I conceal I don't want to be identified "badge not needed". BADGE NOT NEEDED. :banghead::banghead::banghead:

Michigander

imported post

That shirt is kind of neat, but I think a better one could say something like "I am carrying a gun. The Texas government says you can't see it, so I'm wearing this shirt."

Nutczak

The Northwoods, lakeland area, Wisconsin, USA
imported post

I do not see someone being in possession of one of those badges being too bright.

Impersonating a public servant is a felony in many cases, I think the marketers of the badgesare probably making a good bit of money selling these to the cop-wannabees, and mall-ninja's, and also the nutjobspeople that commit crimes while trying to impersonate an officer.

I would be willing to bet that if someone flashed that badge to a LEO, they would be collared in a hurry and successfully prosecuted.

How aboutmarketing anapparatus that you wear around your neck like backstage credentials to place your permit in it if you feel so proud that you let the government lower your 2A rights to a privilege. And a T-shirt that says "Kick Me! I am a dumbass" to go with it.

Bustelo5%

imported post

Nutczak you are amazing love the last comment,and this is my reason for not getting a CCW thats just like being in PA and the name of their infringment paper is "License to carry handgun" great marketing gimmick there.