• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

open carry to a lock container?

josh_crosson

imported post

ok so this is my third post here. i live in santa rosa, ca which is a city that must have the most schools in it than any other city for the size lol.

I have recently given up automobile as my transportation and now bike or walk everywhere i go (saves a ton on gas and auto insurance). i am thinking and preparing to start UOCing soon, but because of the amount of schools around this area i would have to bike or walk 15 miles just to go 5!

Here's my question; Is it possible for me to just pack my pistol and mag away before i get to the 1000ft point of a school, and then after i pass the schools 1000ft mark to take them out of the locked container straight to the holsters? Or would this be violating the (pc 417) brandishing a firearm even though it wasnt in a threatening mannor?

Decoligny

imported post

josh_crosson wrote:
ok so this is my third post here. i live in santa rosa, ca which is a city that must have the most schools in it than any other city for the size lol.

I have recently given up automobile as my transportation and now bike or walk everywhere i go (saves a ton on gas and auto insurance). i am thinking and preparing to start UOCing soon, but because of the amount of schools around this area i would have to bike or walk 15 miles just to go 5!

Here's my question; Is it possible for me to just pack my pistol and mag away before i get to the 1000ft point of a school, and then after i pass the schools 1000ft mark to take them out of the locked container straight to the holsters? Or would this be violating the (pc 417) brandishing a firearm even though it wasnt in a threatening mannor?
The language "in a rude, angry, or threatening manner," was put into the Penal Code for a reason. If you are just moving your firearm from a locked container into your holster, you would NOT be in hviolation of PC 417.

This does not mean that an ignorant LEO, or an LEO who believes that only LEOs should be allowed to carry a firearm will not give you a hassle about it.

This is one of the reasons you always carry a voice recorder with you when carrying and always have it recording, so you don't have to remember to hit "record" when the officer approaches.

bigtoe416

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

You don't even have to have the gun in your hand in order to brandish it. You can point to it in its holster while making a threat and you'll run afoul of PC417. In general, just don't be rude or hostile to anybody and you should be good to go.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I'm thinking the first cop comes along can say, "Well, he's just outside the 1000'. I now have RAS that he rode his bikethru the 1000' with the gun outside.Plus he's messin' with a gun pretty close to a school, and there is another school just up the road in the direction he is heading. Oh, I get to do an unloaded e-check, too. Wheeeee!!"

Not saying its proper for the cop to think that. But, I think this might be a situation where even the fearless might have second thoughts.

I guess it dependsa little on the gun/anti-gun climate of the area where he will be riding.

CA_Libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

I dislike publicly handling my firearm for the reasons others have raised above.

When I'm in my car, I do move my firearm from my holster to my locked case and back. However, it would difficult to see into my car, unless the other person is in a tall vehicle. (In my experience, the taller the vehicle, the more gun-friendly people are.)

One possible solution is to carry a long gun while biking.

OpenCarrybike002.jpg

*Picture and idea credit to AyatollahGondola in this thread (more pics!)

DISCLAIMER: This may attract more unwanted attention than the problem it is proposed to fix. Just throwing ideas out there for ya.

Decoligny

imported post

CA_Libertarian wrote:
I dislike publicly handling my firearm for the reasons others have raised above.

When I'm in my car, I do move my firearm from my holster to my locked case and back. However, it would difficult to see into my car, unless the other person is in a tall vehicle. (In my experience, the taller the vehicle, the more gun-friendly people are.)

One possible solution is to carry a long gun while biking.

OpenCarrybike002.jpg

*Picture and idea credit to AyatollahGondola in this thread (more pics!)

DISCLAIMER: This may attract more unwanted attention than the problem it is proposed to fix. Just throwing ideas out there for ya.

With one notable exception:

vw.jpg

josh_crosson

imported post

i also had this idea of using a restroom in a local shopping center or something to do it out of the eye of the public/LEO. i think of coarse ill have to ask the manager if theres any company policy regaurding firearms in the store. just a thought?

hey mud camper, someone in another thread said you were local to me, figure id say hi, since youve posted up in here. ive got a question that a local might ba able to answer for me, but ill pm you.

Decoligny

imported post

josh_crosson wrote:
seriously? please keep the spam out, thanks.

SPAM? Did my post send anyone lots of e-mails, NO. Did my post have a link that led anyone to malicious software, NO. Was it racist, sexist, or religiously offensive in any way, NO.

My post was simply a humorous way to point out that generalizations always have an exception to the rule. "Generally" people who drive around in "Save the Whales man" hippy vans with peace symbol blankets hanging on them are not "pro-gun". If that actually is your van, I apologize.

However, If that one post gets your delicate little panties all knotted into a wad, I don't think you will last very long here. Your4th post and you appoint yourself to the esteemed position of ettiquette Nazi.

Suggestion: Grow a little thicker skin. Don't get offended when someone adds a little humor to a thread, even if it disrespects your favorite brand-name.

VolksWagon, the one thingHitler did that's stillaccepted by people all over the world.