Thread: VA Law sticky?

Post imported post

Since I've got lots of free time, I've been trying to read as much as I can about OC/CC in Va. Sometimes to "mix it up" I'll go lurk in the Michigan thread (Go Blue!) and I noticed that they have several stickies on the first page regarding the state laws and such. I'm not sure if this has ever been brought up and I know y'all are very well read up on what's current and kosher but I figured I'd throw this out anyway. Anyone up for compiling a thread/sticky with the pertinent info for new Va residents? I'm looking at:

1) Current law/code

2) Best practices when dealing with LEO

3) Links or uploads of official documents stating our legal right to OC

4) Letters or Emails from corporations who do not mind us carrying in their businesses

5) Misc (or other things I forgot)

thoughts? Also, please delete this if you find it unnecessary or redundant. I don't want to cause any trouble around here!

Post imported post

I do not think there is one site that covers all of your issues. However, there a several sites that cover certain of your issues extensively.

1) Current law/code either state law site for Code of Virginia or www.va1774.com for case law

2) Best practices when dealing with LEO use the OCDO search function

3) Links or uploads of official documents stating our legal right to OC probably www.vcdl.org

4) Letters or Emails from corporations who do not mind us carrying in their businesses not letters but VCDL has a fairly extensive list of places your gun is not welcome, as does OCDO. use the search function on OCDO.

5) Misc (or other things I forgot) use the OCDO search function when you remember what you forgot.

Did anybody say "Welcome to OCDO" to you? If not, consider it covered.

stay safe.

skidmark

"He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

Post imported post

There is also this, which you may find helpful:

http://opencarry.org/va.html

It has a few links to official documents regarding OC.

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

And the new VA state police website. The cool thing is that they cite the code. Click on the citation and it takes you to actual code on the General Assembly's Legislative Information Service.
    I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA

Post imported post

The "Virginia Gun Owner's Guide" is a good source to have. It spells out in normal English, what the laws are and what you can do and not do. The only thing I found contradictory was in the actual use of deadly force and I think the book takes the approach of escaping liability in those areas. In other words, it appears to go a little overboard in those areas.

In the final seconds of your life, just before your killer is about to dispatch you to that great eternal darkness, what would you rather have in your hand? A cell phone or a gun?

Si vis pacem, para bellum.

America First!

Post imported post

Post imported post

SouthernBoy wrote:
    The "Virginia Gun Owner's Guide" is a good source to have. It spells out in normal English, what the laws are and what you can do and not do. The only thing I found contradictory was in the actual use of deadly force and I think the book takes the approach of escaping liability in those areas. In other words, it appears to go a little overboard in those areas.
    I agree. I'd add a couple of points.

If you find something that you think applies, check the online version of the code to make sure it hasn't changed. In Va., amendments and statutes usually take effect on July 1.

Keep in mind that some things are in "legalese", which fools people because it looks like English. Here's an example: most people think a "signature" is a handwritten name. In legalese, it's "any sign or symbol used or adopted with the present intention to authenticate a writing." Neither handwriting nor a name is required. And to complicate things, the words, "intention" and "authenticate" are also legalese, not English. And some definitions are recursive ("negligence" is defined in terms of "a negligent breach of duty").
    Daniel L. Hawes - 540 347 2430 - HTTP://www.VirginiaLegalDefense.com

By the way, nothing I say on this website as "user" should be taken as either advertising for attorney services or legal advice, merely personal opinion. Everyone having a question regarding the application of law to the facts of their situation should seek the advice of an attorney competent in the subject matter of the issues presented and licensed to practice in the relevant state.