• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

VA Law sticky?

Milbars

imported post

Since I've got lots of free time, I've been trying to read as much as I can about OC/CC in Va. Sometimes to "mix it up" I'll go lurk in the Michigan thread (Go Blue!) and I noticed that they have several stickies on the first page regarding the state laws and such. I'm not sure if this has ever been brought up and I know y'all are very well read up on what's current and kosher but I figured I'd throw this out anyway. Anyone up for compiling a thread/sticky with the pertinent info for new Va residents? I'm looking at:

1) Current law/code

2) Best practices when dealing with LEO

3) Links or uploads of official documents stating our legal right to OC

4) Letters or Emails from corporations who do not mind us carrying in their businesses

5) Misc (or other things I forgot)

thoughts? Also, please delete this if you find it unnecessary or redundant. I don't want to cause any trouble around here!

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I do not think there is one site that covers all of your issues. However, there a several sites that cover certain of your issues extensively.

1) Current law/code either state law site for Code of Virginia or www.va1774.com for case law

2) Best practices when dealing with LEO use the OCDO search function

3) Links or uploads of official documents stating our legal right to OC probably www.vcdl.org

4) Letters or Emails from corporations who do not mind us carrying in their businesses not letters but VCDL has a fairly extensive list of places your gun is not welcome, as does OCDO. use the search function on OCDO.

5) Misc (or other things I forgot) use the OCDO search function when you remember what you forgot.

Did anybody say "Welcome to OCDO" to you? If not, consider it covered.

stay safe.

skidmark

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

And the new VA state police website. The cool thing is that they cite the code. Click on the citation and it takes you to actual code on the General Assembly's Legislative Information Service.

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
imported post

The "Virginia Gun Owner's Guide" is a good source to have. It spells out in normal English, what the laws are and what you can do and not do. The only thing I found contradictory was in the actual use of deadly force and I think the book takes the approach of escaping liability in those areas. In other words, it appears to go a little overboard in those areas.

user

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

SouthernBoy wrote:
The "Virginia Gun Owner's Guide" is a good source to have. It spells out in normal English, what the laws are and what you can do and not do. The only thing I found contradictory was in the actual use of deadly force and I think the book takes the approach of escaping liability in those areas. In other words, it appears to go a little overboard in those areas.

I agree. I'd add a couple of points.

If you find something that you think applies, check the online version of the code to make sure it hasn't changed. In Va., amendments and statutes usually take effect on July 1.

Keep in mind that some things are in "legalese", which fools people because it looks like English. Here's an example: most people think a "signature" is a handwritten name. In legalese, it's "any sign or symbol used or adopted with the present intention to authenticate a writing." Neither handwriting nor a name is required. And to complicate things, the words, "intention" and "authenticate" are also legalese, not English. And some definitions are recursive ("negligence" is defined in terms of "a negligent breach of duty").