• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Armed Courier Service required to be Security Agency?

thejax

imported post

A friend of mine and I provide courier services in NJ. What we do is pickup and deliver documents and items of value. Sometimes, we have items that are worth something, such as an expensive automotive part or jewelry.

We had a few customers ask if we considered arming ourselves due to being nervous someone may hold us up.

I contacted a few people and all I keep getting is I don't knows. From the NJ business Registration Unit to the NJ State Police Firearms and Detectives Unit.

I looked at the licensing requirements for becoming a security agency in NJ. None of us would qualify as our occupation has been logistics and not LE or Security.

I guess my question is, in your opinion, would I be able to get a NJ Permit to Carry a Handgun if I had a letter of proficiency from a place in NJ that teaches the requirements for this permit (NJ Firearms Academy) and a detailed letter of need on my company letterhead explaining what we do and why we need it OR do I need to become a licensed security agency?

We are already licensed and bonded. But I do not look at this as we would be security officers. The law I found on the NJSP website is vague. What is anyone's opinion on this?

CowboyKen

imported post

Have you considered consulting a lawyer that specializes in this area?

Ken

press1280

imported post

www.njgunpermitattorney.com

This guy specializes in pistol and carry permits in NJ.

From your post, you may be able to get a restricted permit for when you pick up,drop off, and transport these valuables. I asked the NJSP about the training requirements, and they said an NRA pistol class was acceptable. Best thing is to contact the attorney, and get receipts and stuff together to prove your buisness has a lot of merchandise going through your hands to help your cause. It may also depend on where you live, as what's "justifiable need" in one town is not what it is in another.

You are not required to be security to get a permit in NJ.

Bustelo5%

imported post

Well in Ohio you have to get an OPOTA 25 Hour Weapons Certification to carry on duty for a company like brinks or a jewlery company. I would really look into this because if your the owner of the business and carry as a citizen.
You may be able to get certified to carry a weapon while on duty working just to satisfy the law.
Call up brinks they will have alot of information on this subject since they deal in securities of multiple states and their laws.

CowboyKen

imported post

Bustelo5% wrote:
Well in Ohio you have to get an OPOTA 25 Hour Weapons Certification to carry on duty for a company like brinks or a jewlery company. I would really look into this because if your the owner of the business and carry as a citizen.
You may be able to get certified to carry a weapon while on duty working just to satisfy the law.
Call up brinks they will have alot of information on this subject since they deal in securities of multiple states and their laws.

New Jersey is very different from Ohio, Sir.

In New Jersey, no one can"carry as a citizen."

In New Jersey, to "be able to get certified to carry a weapon while on duty working just to satisfy the law," you must have really strong (read that as you paid many millions for them) political connections.

New Jersey is very different from Ohio, Sir, or anywhere else.

Ken

Bustelo5%

imported post

Dude thats FUBAR I cannot belive that I mean I thought NJ was pretty crappy but damn that sucks.
So what can you do?
Can you become Aux LEOS or something just so you can keep your selves safe?

jdgypsy

was Meridian ID, just moved to Killeen, Texas, USA
imported post

I may be wrong here, my understanding is you need to show proof or explain on the CCW application that you handle large amounts of money or valuables.

Not sure if that will help get the permit, it is NJ but I have been told that if there is a reason to get one, that is it, as far as the great and mighty NJ rulers are concerned. I haven't tried for one there myself because of that reason, I don't carry anything of value....OTHER THAN MY SELF !!! Good luck.

Pyrodox

imported post

I've looked into starting up a Security company myself, I've been in the field for a while, but I've come to the conclusion that the licensing red tape is just too much to deal with. To be licensed as a security company you need an ex-LEO as your chief officer or a partner, I believe they will also accept people with a long term history in the Security industry. Licensed Security/PI companies may sponsor employees for CCW permits in the State of NJ, and it's one of the only ways you can actually get on in this State.

You may apply for a CCW on an individual level, however you must establish and prove a specific need to be armed, and you must convince a Judge that you are not a danger to society by being armed. From my past research on this, it's about as easy to get a CCW as it is to find a flying elephant. NJ is not "shall issue" and, like someone has stated, unless you're extremely rich and powerful, you do not have the right to CCW.

I'd say go for it, with the application, make the best case you can... But don't bank on it. You have about a 99.9% chance of being denied on your application because it's not "in the interest of public safety."

knight1292

imported post

You don't need to be a security guard or anything like that to carry. All you have to do is apply for the permit and have a "letter of need" from your company.

I work for an armored car company and everybody carries a gun, none of us are certified security guards. We do not provide security services, we transport valuables...just like you.