• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Found a missing child

GreatWhiteLlama

imported post

After polishing off the last of my beer, I decide to walk up to the Shell station by my house to pickup a 6 pack of Mirror Pond. About 3 minutes into my walk I see a young Hispanic child running in my direction without anyone with him. I stop him and ask where is parents are to which he starts replying in Spanish. With my Spanish being limited to barely being able to order food I try and simplify it by asking him, “where is mommy”? He seems to understand this and points in the opposite direction from where he was running. After a brief exchange of trying to determine if in fact he was running towards his home or away from it, and hoping to use up enough time to where some sort of parental figure would show up, I decide that he needs to turn around and head back to where he thinks his home is.

After almost walking ‘Ismael’ all of the way back to his apartments, a BPD car rolls up beside us to ask if he was with me. I told the officer “no” and that the child said he lived up here somewhere. She then gives my sidearm a second ‘long’ look and then pulls up to the child. The BPD officer gets out of her car and starts asking Ismael where he lived. I look up the street and see a 30 something Hispanic male running towards us to which I figure must be his father. As the father figure approaches the officer says to me, “I respect open carry, but just keep it holstered”. (?!?) (lol)

After berating the father for awhile and writing up her report, the officer asks me for my ID and phone number. Knowing this was for her report, I had no intention of denying her, (besides, she was cute :p) Before she sends me on my way, she tells the father to thank me for seeing his son home. The father hesitates and tries to say that his English isn’t very good. This pisses the officer off to no end to which she replies, “Hey! I’ve seen what happens when the other types of people find children! You will thank him!” This seems to click with him as he finally makes eye contact with me and says “thank you”. I simply shake his hand and say, “as my sister always says, if they’re out of earshot, they’ve gone too far”. I then head back home.

What surprised me the most was that on my way back, at almost the exact spot that I confronted Ismael, the cute BPD officer calls me. Unfortunately there was a lot of traffic going down 140[sup]th[/sup] at the time but what I was able to gather was she was asking me why I chose to OC. I told her that the main reason was because it was more comfortable. During the winter I typically CC but during the summer, wearing shorts and a T-shirt, I print something awful and feel like I’m hiding something. When I OC, I’m not hiding anything from anyone, there’s no chance of misinterpretation. Besides, criminals don’t OC.

Of course she gives her police academy response of, “if other people see it, blah blah blah”. I told her that I’ve been OC’ing for years now and most people don’t even notice, they simply think it’s a PDA. Those that do notice will do a ‘double take’ and then continue on with there business. She then asks me if I was a part of the group that “protested” at the Bellevue Park. ( :D ) I told her that I frequented a forum that discussed such things but I did not attend. We exchanged a few other pleasantries and then ended the conversation.

All in all, this was the most eventful walk to the store I’ve had in a while. I’m not sure how much this has to do with OC as a whole but I thought I’d write it down anyway for you amusement. :)

P.S.
There was of course more to the story, but after my 5[sup]th[/sup] Mirror Pond, the details are escaping me =D

G20-IWB24/7

imported post

Be careful! You keep going around doing good deeds and all,and you'll start to give us evil gun-owning folk a bad reputation. ;)

I'm being extremely sarcastic, of course. Good job making sure the kid ended up OK and good job in your interactions with the officer.

cdjspider

imported post

NavyLT wrote:
An OC story that starts with "After polishing off the last of my beer"....
Didn't pick up on that at first lol. That doesn't mean much though, far as we know he had his last beer that day and decided he wanted more so he went to the store.

FogRider

imported post

NavyLT wrote:
For me, it's just not wise to be carrying my firearm under the influence of alcohol. It might be for other folks, but just not for me.
I suppose. They might go off and do something crazy and irresponsible, like help out a lost kid.

compmanio365

imported post

FogRider wrote:
NavyLT wrote:
For me, it's just not wise to be carrying my firearm under the influence of alcohol. It might be for other folks, but just not for me.
I suppose. They might go off and do something crazy and irresponsible, like help out a lost kid.
Haha, exactly! +1000 Because the eeeevils of any drug will instantly turn you into a crazed maniac when you happen to be strapped. So much for that theory......:quirky

Good job T-Rav, you dun good, and made us all look like decent people.......score one for OCers everywhere. :D

sudden valley gunner

imported post

Good job! Wonder why the father was being so >>>>. Sometimes kids just get away, I would be grateful, maybe embarrassed, if someone was to do the same when my kids were younger.

PavePusher

imported post

NavyLT wrote:
compmanio365 wrote:
FogRider wrote:
NavyLT wrote:
Haha, exactly! +1000 Because the eeeevils of any drug will instantly turn you into a crazed maniac when you happen to be strapped. So much for that theory......:quirky

Good job T-Rav, you dun good, and made us all look like decent people.......score one for OCers everywhere. :D
No. It's just like driving. I might not be able to use my weapon as effectively should the need arise. I would hate to waste a round of good .45 self defense ammo because I missed him the first time because I was fuzzy.
There's a little context missing in the O.P.

When he said "After polishing off the last of my beer", he never stated or implied how many were in "the last of my beer". Was it one? Three? A whole 12-pack? I occasionaly carry after having one beer, don't remember ever doing so after 2. I personally wouldnever carry in public after 2 or more, I would have up to 2 if carrying on my own property, with food.

I'm not trying to denigrate the "Zero Tolerance" policy, it may work well for you. But, just as we on this forum are nearly unanimous in being anti-Z.T. when it comes to, for instance, kidsdrawing a picture of a gun in school, we must also apply reasoned judgement to other areas. Zero Tolerance leaves little room for reality or circumstances or reason.

antispam540

imported post

It's not really a judgement or zero tolerance - I think we're just confused why you would want to give up even a little reaction time and/or clarity of thought when carrying. It's your choice, but, just like OCing in a non-retention holster, it seems like a dumb idea.

Tawnos

imported post

Was it after 4:30PM? If so, it may have been the same officer I encountered in the park - A. McAnnily (her full name is on the police report, but that's at home, and I'm at Tully's).

GreatWhiteLlama

imported post

NavyLT wrote:
An OC story that starts with "After polishing off the last of my beer"....
I had two beers leftover from the night before. I completely understand your concern but sense I had only planed on walking a block to the local Quik-E-Mart, I figured I'd be OK.

ghosthunter wrote:
She got your number. You get hers
Caller ID. But I currently have a live-in g/f.

Tawnos wrote:
Was it after 4:30PM? If so, it may have been the same officer I encountered in the park - A. McAnnily (her full name is on the police report, but that's at home, and I'm at Tully's).
Possibly, but I've noticed BPD has an unusually high number of cute officers. I looked at her name twice but both times after I looked up she was looking at me which made me think, "oh great, now she thinks I'm just checking out her chest..." lol This of course made me forget her name, (must have had too many beers ;) )

Dr. Fresh

imported post

antispam540 wrote:
It's not really a judgement or zero tolerance - I think we're just confused why you would want to give up even a little reaction time and/or clarity of thought when carrying. It's your choice, but, just like OCing in a non-retention holster, it seems like a dumb idea.

So it's better just to leave the pistol at home where you don't even have the possibility of using it correctly?

antispam540

imported post

Dr. Fresh wrote:
antispam540 wrote:

So it's better just to leave the pistol at home where you don't even have the possibility of using it correctly?
I would be more worried about the possibility of using it incorrectly while under the influence. It'd be better to not drink at all, so you have no reason to leave it at home - but that's just my opinion.