• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

550lb Man CCs under a roll of fat!

Bennelli

imported post

I heard this story on the radio so my facts are not all there, and if anyone kind find a written story it would be great to hear the whole thing.

Ok, so some 550 (600) pound man gets arrested for drugs and the police"pat-him-downand no gun was found, then he was booked, frisked at the city jail, nothing discovered,then off to the county they strip him done and time to shower him up. This is when he tells the guards that he is concealing a 9mm under a roll of skin. :what:

What ever Police Department they were, there will be a new proceedure done with very large people, make them jump up and down :celebratein place to make sure they are not concealing a gun or drugs on their body.

I don't not know what city or State this happened in, sorry I was listen to570am whilecoming back from DI, and this is what I heard.

Kevin Jensen

State Researcher
imported post

http://www.upi.com/Odd_News/2009/08/06/600-pound-prisoner-hid-gun-in-fat-layers/UPI-55951249598202/

600-pound prisoner hid gun in fat layers

Published: Aug. 6, 2009 at 6:36 PM

HOUSTON, Aug. 6 (UPI) -- Houston police say a man weighing nearly 600 pounds concealed a 9mm handgun in his layers of fat for more than a day while in custody.

Police said George Vera, 25, was arrested for an unspecified reason Aug. 2 and held in the city jail for a day before being taken to the Harris County Jail. There, he revealed to police he was hiding the handgun and two clips, KPRC-TV, Houston, reported Thursday.

Gary Blankinship, president of the Houston Police Officers Union, said Vera's weight made it easier for him to hide the gun from officers.

"We teach officers to lift up and look under," Blankinship said. "The officer may not have arrested anyone this big before.

"Basically short of strip-searching or searching cavities, they could miss something like this."

The Houston Police Department and Harris County Sheriff's Office said they have begun internal investigations into the incident.

Bennelli

imported post

SGT Jensen wrote:
http://www.upi.com/Odd_News/2009/08/06/600-pound-prisoner-hid-gun-in-fat-layers/UPI-55951249598202/

600-pound prisoner hid gun in fat layers

Published: Aug. 6, 2009 at 6:36 PM

HOUSTON, Aug. 6 (UPI) -- Houston police say a man weighing nearly 600 pounds concealed a 9mm handgun in his layers of fat for more than a day while in custody.

Police said George Vera, 25, was arrested for an unspecified reason Aug. 2 and held in the city jail for a day before being taken to the Harris County Jail. There, he revealed to police he was hiding the handgun and two clips, KPRC-TV, Houston, reported Thursday.

Gary Blankinship, president of the Houston Police Officers Union, said Vera's weight made it easier for him to hide the gun from officers.

"We teach officers to lift up and look under," Blankinship said. "The officer may not have arrested anyone this big before.

"Basically short of strip-searching or searching cavities, they could miss something like this."

The Houston Police Department and Harris County Sheriff's Office said they have begun internal investigations into the incident.
Thanks for finding that, I guess that your title of "State Reseacher" is not just a Title, well done!

JoeSparky

Centurion
imported post

Sad but NEITHER ONE of the 2 papers I subscribe to mentioned that the guy had loaded magazines in addition to the gun....

If I remember they both said that the gun was not loaded!

The Sunday Aug 9, 2009 issues of The Provo Daily Herald and the Deseret News out of SLC both picked up the same AP story out of HOUSTON.... Both articles are identical WORD FOR WORD!!!!!

Stand by for the links......

Joe Sparky

http://www.heraldextra.com/news/national/article_5c90df05-f1ca-50a1-b795-4c332d164a41.html

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/1,5143,705322118,00.html

JoeSparky

Centurion
imported post

thx997303 wrote:
Does that kind of stuff fall under plagerism laws?

That just aint right.
Aint plagerism if proper credits are given...

Both labels the articles as from the Associated Press wire services out of Houston...

PT111

imported post

he revealed to police he was hiding the handgun and two clips
I had heard that the gun was unloaded and since he only had clips instead of mags I suppose it was unloaded an he didn't have any ammo for it. :)

Bennelli

imported post

"Clips" :banghead: Has anyone ever heard of a 9mm handgun taking clips?

When I was in the construction rental industry I used to laugh so hard when I heard the media report that a "Steam Roller" fell off a trailer. Or when they would call a backhoe a "bull dozer!"

And they are suppose to inform the public how can they if they don't know what they are talking about?:cuss:

ichigo

imported post

My buddy tells me it is common procedure in theDavis County jail to lift and spread. A nightmarish experience.Images that are impossible to hide from.My guess is it was a deputy who did not want to put his hands under the folds of his belly. I can't blame the guy.What is the advantage of concealing the way he did? You can get patted down without incident. Disadvantage?There is no way he could ever draw his firearm in enough time to be effective.

Bennelli

imported post

thx997303 wrote:
Why, as a matter of fact Bennelli, I have heard of a 9mm handgun that takes clips.

http://www.taurususa.com/product-details.cfm?id=329&category=Revolver&breadcrumbseries=&search=9mm%20revolver

OK, thx997303 nice try, but you and everyone on this site knows that most people refer to a Magazine for a Semi-Auto Handgun as a clip, and when someone says that you say "doh" Right? Right? You don't say are you refering to a Taurus Model 905 Stellar Clip, or do you really mean a magazine? I mean honestly!

I bet you $100 he had an Semi-Auto 9mm with 2 Magazines that were refered to as a clips and not as magazines, and he did not have a Taurus Model 905 9mm with 2 Stellar Clips, Poking the :cuss:eek:ut of him for a day or so!

thx997303

imported post

Well, you asked if anybody had heard of a 9mm that took clips.

And I have :)

But yes, we do say doh, and I did too.

Bennelli

imported post

I should have asked, "who ever heard of a Semi-Auto 9mm that takes a clip?" That would have been the correct question, but I don't know anything about Taurus guns but that they are from Brazil and so is my ex-wife thus the dislike for that gun! :plol

thx997303

imported post

Ah! Gun manufacture racism!?!?:lol:

The Taurus firearms are generally quality, but they have some issues with new models.

If it has been in production for a while you're good to go.

I bet I could use a clip in my XD9, hmm, I think I'm going to do it just to say I can.:D:p

PT111

imported post

I am not sure if it it just the writing style or the Internet or what but it sure seems that most people posting on this board are ready to kick someone's ass over anything that they even think might be a disin' of them. If we get that upset over jokes posted on a message board what in the hell are we going to do when meeting a real badass while carrying a gun. :banghead::banghead:

Lighten up Francis. :D:lol::celebrate

Kevin Jensen

State Researcher
imported post

Bennelli wrote:
I should have asked, "who ever heard of a Semi-Auto 9mm that takes a clip?"

I just read about somesemi-auto training pistols that use "clips". :p

http://www.standard.net/live/news/180410/

Training Day / ATK system aims to keep Utah officers safe on the job

Charles F. Trentelman
Standard-Examiner staff

SALT LAKE CITY -- Law enforcement officers say a new training system by Alliance Techsystems could save officer lives, but worry about being thwarted by the cost.

That's not an unusual problem, though.

Police officers from several Davis and Weber county agencies said ATK's new system, which uses real guns loaded with special training bullets, costs about the same as existing systems. That means the bullets cost $1 to $2 each.

At that rate, a training scenario that includes firing a 15-round clip gets expensive fast.

After one demonstration Wednesday by ATK that involved an officer firing five rounds at a bad guy, Layton officer Todd Derricks said, "That's one person, one scenario, $5. If your training budget for the year is $5,000, it's gone in one training session."

Still, he and officers from Centerville, Farmington and Clearfield liked what they saw.

"You say it costs a lot, but you've got to realize the training you can get from this scenario-based training you can't get anywhere else. It could save an officer's life," said Bryant Ives, Farmington's investigator and firearms instructor.

ATK's Armament Systems, based in Clearfield, is a subdivision of the same company that makes missile motors west of Brigham City.

On Wednesday, it introduced a new product called the Force-on-Force training system it is marketing to police departments.

It's based around a newly developed plastic slug full of colored liquid, sort of like a paintball, but the system also includes a wide variety of protective gear, adaptors for numerous guns, even portable buildings for officers to construct real-life scenarios in which to train.

Randy Clifton, ATK's Force-on-Force product line manager and a former member of the federal Drug Enforcement Administration, said reality in training is what's the most critical.

Officers who now train with paper targets or paint guns are training themselves to do the wrong thing in an emergency, he said.

For example, Clifton said he has seen officers who trained by loading only four rounds into their guns to save money quit firing after four rounds in a real situation, even though they had more shots.

"There's been an FBI officer who was shot picking up his brass," or spent shell casings, because that's what he did in training, Clifton said.

He also said an Indiana officer was killed in a shootout when he fumbled trying to cock his gun because the gun he was using didn't cock the same way a paintball gun does.

That happens, Clifton said, because in any sort of shooting situation, the officer's mind can go blank and the body goes on autopilot.

National data indicates only one out of five rounds fired by police in live fights hits the target, and 90 percent of those shots are fired from a distance of less than 25 feet, he said.

"Your mind shuts down and goes back to what it was trained to do."

Jack Alexander, the Centerville Police Department firearms instructor, and Centerville Sgt. Von Steenblik said they like the system precisely because of that realism.

Alexander said he's worried that his department could not buy it, though.

Steenblik agreed, saying, "The biggest issue is the expense of the course. Davis County is made up of a lot of small departments," none of which, individually, could afford such a system, he said.

"You start adding it all together, it's hard for a department like ours."

He did confirm that how you are trained can cause you trouble, though.

"We challenged a neighboring agency, which shall remain unnamed," he said, smiling, and the officers in that department were trained so that, after they had fired all their rounds, they took the magazine out of their pistol, put it in their pocket and installed a full one.

In real-life situations, of course, they are supposed to just let it fall on the ground to save reloading time.

"They just couldn't keep up," Steenblik said. "You gotta train like real life."

Bad training has costs, both in lives and in money, several ATK representatives said, and the officers agreed.

Salt Lake County Sheriff Jim Winder said realistic training can significantly reduce the liability that a police department faces in any shooting incident.

"If you can go in and say your officers had this kind of reality training, the liability reduction on this is immeasurable."

rpyne

imported post

JoeSparky wrote:
thx997303 wrote:
Does that kind of stuff fall under plagerism laws?

That just aint right.
Aint plagerism if proper credits are given...

Both labels the articles as from the Associated Press wire services out of Houston...
It also doesn't fall under plagiarism when the newspaper is a paying subscriber to the news service. Most newspapers and broadcasters pay Associated Press (AP) and/or United Press International (UPI) thousands of dollars every year for the privilege of publishing their stories.