• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

how to buy a handgun at 18

michael22110

imported post

ok so i have been researching this for 2 days and wanted to know if there was a way for me to legally buy a handgun if the sheriff denies my application for a permit and i dont go to court to argue my case.

also i wanted to know if me and my father who both live in nc went to sc and he buys a gun from a FFL dealer and then sells it to me in sc while both being residents of nc would that be legal.if not then how would i go about buying a handgun legally without going to court.

michael22110

imported post

are you sure because i was told by some people on another forum if he wanted to buy a handgun it would have to be done by a FFL dealer.

i dont have the money to get a lawyer.

Redwolf

imported post

In anwser to your question no it does not have to be a FFL, but the seller is required to get a pistol permit from him. That is for NC. You can buy a pistol in SC and have the FFL send it to a FFL dealer in NC and pick it up, still need a pistol permit.

michael22110

imported post

so the only way i can get a handgun from my dad is to apply for a permit and go to court if it is denied.:banghead:

maybe i should just move to montana or get more involved with local politics.

i read that the bill to repeal the requirement of permits for pistols did not pass,who can i write to that will make a difference.

Redwolf

imported post

As I said for your dad to buy a pistol he needs a pistol permit or a CCW, as for him selling or giving you a pistol I dont know becouse its different for family members to family members. I can legally give my brother a pistol as long as he is legally aloud to own one.

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

Redwolf wrote:
As I said for your dad to buy a pistol he needs a pistol permit or a CCW, as for him selling or giving you a pistol I dont know becouse its different for family members to family members. I can legally give my brother a pistol as long as he is legally aloud to own one.
really? NC has a family member exception for pistol transfers? are you from NC? Please update your location status.

JDriver1.8t

imported post

michael22110 wrote:
so the only way i can get a handgun from my dad is to apply for a permit and go to court if it is denied.:banghead:

maybe i should just move to montana or get more involved with local politics.

i read that the bill to repeal the requirement of permits for pistols did not pass,who can i write to that will make a difference.

Your dad can buy and legally own the gun, while you carry, keep, and posses it.

There is no laws being broken in that scenario.

michael22110

imported post

true but he would still own it and thats not what i want. i want to own it so if i ever have to use it in a self defense situation there would be no legal ramifications for him.

mekender

imported post

legally, you cannot buy a handgun from any FFL in the nation... federal law prohibits it...

however, you can buy in a private purchase, inherit a gun or have one given to you as a gift unless the state prohibits it (some do)

in NC, you are legally required to have a pistol permit to acquire a handgun in any manner...

i have heard of sheriff's issuing permits to people between 18 and 21 only twice... both were cases of inheritance...

most likely, you will have to wait till you are 21 to own a handgun straight out...

JDriver1.8t

imported post

michael22110 wrote:
true but he would still own it and thats not what i want. i want to own it so if i ever have to use it in a self defense situation there would be no legal ramifications for him.
I do not see where there would be any legal problems if you were required to use the firearm in self defense.
If you are legal to carry the weapon, then it doesn't really matter who the technical owner of the firearm is.

Adam H

imported post

michael22110, If you want a pistol permit, I would call or email the Sheriff and ask if you can get a permit. If he says know, explain to him that federal and state law only prohibits minors from purchasing or possessing pistols. If he still doesn't give it to you, you'll have to appeal the decision and go to court.

mekender, you can add a third person to that list. I'm only 20 and I was able to get a permit.

I'm in Cabarrus County and I didn't have a hassle at all. I emailed the Sheriff and asked him if someone under 21 could get a permit. He replied and said you had to be 21. I asked him what statute he based his decision on and he changed his answer to 18. He said that he though I was asking about purchasing from a dealer(I believe him). He said that I could get a permit if I was under 21 but that I could only purchase from an individual. The only added requirement was that one of my references had to be over 21. They also notified that person that I could get my permit.

michael22110

imported post

i did email the sheriff and i hope he gives me a positive response.

glad to hear you got one and i hope to be added to that list.

JDriver1.8t: I believe what you say its just that im not sure about it, but if i dont get my permit thats what ill do.

thanks everyone for the help