• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

What tire company was anti-gun?

pourshot

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I think there was a thread back a year or three that was about one of the major tire manufacturers being anti-gun, but I cannot remember the company that was anti-gun. I need to know as I am coming close to needing some and I do not want to support anti-gun organizations.

Do any of you remember the bygone thread? I searched, but it did not pop up.

It would also be nice to see if they still maintain the anti-gun stance.

TIA!

pourshot

Campaign Veteran
imported post

PavePusher wrote:
I'm trying to figure out why a tire company would be anti-gun?

Do you mean the manufacturer or the retail store?
There was a thread here some time ago. I think it was a Goodyear store that was posted and emails to corporate showed it to be policy and not just a rouge manager, but I do not remember for sure.

proud_to_serveUSAF

imported post

Idk if it's Goodyear or not. I've carried in their retail stores several times and theyve never said anything. However, if it is them, i find that ironic. My dad worked for the factory for 30 something years and every time we moved to a new one they had a rifle range at their recreation parks. lol.

ed

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
imported post

I need new tires.. so.. message sent.

Ed

- - -

Mr. Markey -

I am a former US Marine and a current NRA instructor. It is very rare that I ever leave the house not ready to protect myself and my family from harm. I was telling a friend I need new tires and he forwarded me the following information. I just wanted to know if the information provided to me wasoutdated or not.

If the information is is true I would be happy to steer clear of a Goodyear store as well as the Goodyear brand name.

Thanks in advance for your reply.

Ed Levine

- - - -
In an effort to ensure the safety and security of our
associates and customers, we have a clear company
policy regarding weapons in the workplace. The
Goodyear Tire and Rubber Co. prohibits all persons who
enter Company property from carrying a handgun,
firearm, or prohibited weapon of any kind onto the
property regardless of whether the person is licensed
to carry the weapon or not. Exceptions apply to
on-duty law enforcement personnel. This policy applies
to all Company employees, visitors, customers, and
contractors on Company property -- including our
Company-owned stores.

All Company properties have received the decal or sign
you referenced, and have been instructed to post it.

Thank you for the email. Please get back to me if I
can provide further information.

Ed Markey (email: emarkey*goodyear.com)
VP, PR and Communications
North American Tire

VApatriot

imported post

This is news to me. I work for a privately owned repair shop that operates under the Goodyear name. My understanding of the deal is that the owner of the business pays Goodyear to use their name and sell their products, and he must agree to somecurtain policies, but only those that directly involve the sale and marketing of Goodyear's products.

While notspecifically pro-gun,the owner/manager ofthe shop I workfor wants any and all business that comes through the door, so he will not turn you away for being armed. We do also sell quite a few other brands of tires that are not affiliated with theGoodyear Tire and Rubber Company,and I do not believethey are making any money off of those sales.

I can understand if you would still rather deal with a company thathas no anti-gun affiliations, but for the most part we are just like any othersmall business that sets its own policies.

If anyone is ever interested,I work at Burke Centre Automotive.We are a full serviceautomotive shop that can handle most all regular maintenance as well as advanced diagnostics and repairs on most all makes and models of foreign and domesticpassenger vehicles. We are also a registered State Safety and Emissions inspection station, andwe are located at 5665 Burke Centre Parkway in Burke, VA.

TFred

imported post

ed wrote:
I need new tires.. so.. message sent.

Ed

- - -

Mr. Markey -

I am a former US Marine and a current NRA instructor. It is very rare that I ever leave the house not ready to protect myself and my family from harm. I was telling a friend I need new tires and he forwarded me the following information. I just wanted to know if the information provided to me wasoutdated or not.

If the information is is true I would be happy to steer clear of a Goodyear store as well as the Goodyear brand name.

Thanks in advance for your reply.

Ed Levine

- - - -
In an effort to ensure the safety and security of our
associates and customers, we have a clear company
policy regarding weapons in the workplace. The
Goodyear Tire and Rubber Co. prohibits all persons who
enter Company property from carrying a handgun,
firearm, or prohibited weapon of any kind onto the
property regardless of whether the person is licensed
to carry the weapon or not. Exceptions apply to
on-duty law enforcement personnel. This policy applies
to all Company employees, visitors, customers, and
contractors on Company property -- including our
Company-owned stores.

All Company properties have received the decal or sign
you referenced, and have been instructed to post it.

Thank you for the email. Please get back to me if I
can provide further information.

Ed Markey (email: emarkey*goodyear.com)
VP, PR and Communications
North American Tire
Just a thought, you might want to consider a slightly different wording in the future, which indicates more of a reluctant, but absolute duty to not provide your support to companies which do not embrace and support the founding values of the country... sounds better (to me anyway) than to say you'll be happy about it. And leaves more of an impression that you would have otherwise given them your business.

Just a thought.

TFred

RedKnightt

tag

imported post

RedKnightt wrote:
Glock27Bill wrote:
tag wrote:
http://www2.vcdl.org/cgi-bin/wspd_cgi.sh/vcdl/vadetail.html?RECID=821377&FILTER=

#10 on the VA-Alert. Not sure if there have been any updates to it.
Now how in the heck did you find/remember this from 2005?

Inquiring minds want to know...
I'm not sure how he did it, but I just Googled "VCDL" and "Goodyear" and it was the first item listed.
I googled "goodyear antigun" and it was the third result

Glock27Bill

imported post

tag wrote:
RedKnightt wrote:
Glock27Bill wrote:
tag wrote:
http://www2.vcdl.org/cgi-bin/wspd_cgi.sh/vcdl/vadetail.html?RECID=821377&FILTER=

#10 on the VA-Alert. Not sure if there have been any updates to it.
Now how in the heck did you find/remember this from 2005?

Inquiring minds want to know...
I'm not sure how he did it, but I just Googled "VCDL" and "Goodyear" and it was the first item listed.
I googled "goodyear antigun" and it was the third result
Well done, Grasshopper. :)