• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry in Hanover...to shoot or not

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

There are a lot of reasons I OC. One is for self defense but I also spend a lot of time with animals...even in the burbs. Turned out I didn't have to shoot this deer, and I really didn't want to anyway. If anyone noticed I was wearing a gun, they didn't mention it.

Deer Hit in Hanover and a shocking revelationhttp://news.oldva.org/uncategorized/deer-hit-in-hanover-and-a-shocking-revelation/

We stayed in the burbs this weekend to catch up on a few things. Today, we decided to go to Walmart. I needed propane because I’ve been casting bullets for the last week, and my wife needed water and a few other things.
We drove down Pole Green Road and I saw a Deer almost crawling across the road. A van was pulled over on the far side of the road and it looked like it had just happened. We stopped and the van took off.
I hunt most of the winter and spend the rest of the year getting ready to hunt…But Like most successful hunters, killing the game is always a little sad. Seeing road kills is worse yet. I hate to see anything die senselessly .
I walked over to the Deer to see how badly it was hurt, and it ran as best it could, right into a fence and got her head stuck. I looked to see if I could pull her out without getting the stuffing kicked out of me, and saw how badly she was hurt. Both ankles were broken and the bones was protruding. She had actually been walking on the exposed bone. I knew she had to be put down.
Now I was not about to stand beside Pole Green Road, On a Sunday, and put a 45 in that poor things head. It’s too pretty a day to get locked up.
I had not taken my phone so I sent my wife back to get it. Just as she got back, a Hanover Deputy pulled up. Damn…who called the cops.
I fully expected what I have come to know as typical Hanover Behavior and this is where the revelation comes in.
Deputy Segal, and I hope I spelled it correctly, was as pleasent and professional as any police officer I’ve met. I wrote a story a while back about the RIR Race, and even then, I was seeing a new Sheriffs Department.
Deputy Segal saw right off, that the Deer needed to be put out of her misery. He radioed Animal Control to see if they were near. It didn’t take more than 90 seconds before they showed up. Now if my opinion based on past experience of the Sheriff’s Department was poor, double that for Animal Control.
Once again, I was slapped in the face with a new and Professional Department.
M. Caroline Hairfield. Field Supervisor, was the Officer that responded, and again, none of the old BS we have all grown to expect. Officer Hairfield was professional to to the end. She looked at the Deer, went to the truck , retrieved her shotgun and cleanly and humanely, dispatched the animal.
We talked for a few minutes and I learned a few things about their workload. It’s very heavy now and not with giving tickets for no license (although I have no doubt they still do that)… apparently, the emphasis is on real crime, including Dog fighting.
While I’m still not ready to say Hanover has gotten rid of the corruption within the upper administration, I freely and humbly admit that the rank and file officers are now very good!

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Double kudos to Deputy Segal and Animal Control Field Supervisor for their actions. A special reserved seat in Hades for the #@*! hat drove off without reporting the collision. Special {{}}s to your fine wife for agreeing to traipse back home to retrieve the cellphone.

It seems that these days we are gearing up our own Bat-belts almost as much as the cops do. Firearm, extra magazine(s)/reloader(s), flashlight, multi-tool, digital recorder, notebook & pen/pencil, butane lighter, pocket knife, tactical knife,and the cellphone. And this is just to take the bag of household trash to the can at the curb.;) I know of one who also carries a taser, and another that has a medical trauma kit as well.

I admit that I have left a few items on the bedside and had to go back inside to even out the load - too bad I don't have enough $$ to carry to notice when I forget to put the bills in the pocket.

stay safe.

skidmark

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Well reported story and good to hear that Hanover has taken a positive turn.

Hated reading about the deer. That always hurts.

Murphy's Laws would suggest that the one piece of equipment you forget will be the one you need. :?

Yata hey

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

Just an note on things forgotten...I did have 2 cameras, a loaded 12 ga that pretty much lives in the truck, and .45. I am getting real forgetful though. I lost my new Eddie Bauer hat yesterday.

I was counting the things I was gonna get ticketed for.

Hunting on Sunday.
Hunting out of season
Shooting within 100 yards of a roadway

FWIW...the Deer wasn't wasted.

She was really stuck but would still kick at me every time I touched her.

deer3.jpg

user

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

I like to hear things like that; professionalism in law enforcement does not receive the degree of recognition it deserves, and we're all pretty quick to point out deficiencies. I'd suggest sending a letter to the Sheriff.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

user wrote:
I like to hear things like that; professionalism in law enforcement does not receive the degree of recognition it deserves, and we're all pretty quick to point out deficiencies. I'd suggest sending a letter to the Sheriff.
The Department reads the Blog.:uhoh:

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
imported post

peter nap wrote:
user wrote:

Come on - be a nice guy for once. It's kinda difficult to put a copy of a blog entry into someone's personnel folder. It's even harder for the boss to present an "attaboy"certificate without the letter from the citizen telling him/her what a wonderful employee they have working for them. You can either redact your address or use "General Delivery" - like they do not already know where you live.:p

stay safe.

skidmark

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

skidmark wrote:
peter nap wrote:
user wrote:

Come on - be a nice guy for once. It's kinda difficult to put a copy of a blog entry into someone's personnel folder. It's even harder for the boss to present an "attaboy"certificate without the letter from the citizen telling him/her what a wonderful employee they have working for them. You can either redact your address or use "General Delivery" - like they do not already know where you live.:p

stay safe.

skidmark
I doubt a letter from me would help his career much. I'm the one that said Stuart Cook couldn't attend Church services because he would burst into flames when he set foot on sacred ground.:lol:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

peter nap wrote:
skidmark wrote:
peter nap wrote:
user wrote:

stay safe.

skidmark
I doubt a letter from me would help his career much. I'm the one that said Stuart Cook couldn't attend Church services because he would burst into flames when he set foot on sacred ground.:lol:
But it might help them to see the kinder, gentler, softer, fuzzier side of you. :lol:

Yata hey

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
peter nap wrote:
skidmark wrote:
peter nap wrote:
user wrote:

stay safe.

skidmark
But it might help them to see the kinder, gentler, softer, fuzzier side of you. :lol:

Yata hey
I haven't got one Grape!:lol:

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

riverrat10k wrote:
Uh oh. Should I tell Mom and Pop the fix is in when they play bridge with the Cooks?

:D
Tell em to watch for the dogear on the cards:what:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

peter nap wrote:
riverrat10k wrote:
Uh oh. Should I tell Mom and Pop the fix is in when they play bridge with the Cooks?

That seems to be a problem in the Nap household too but for different reasons. :lol:

Yata hey

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
peter nap wrote:
riverrat10k wrote:

That seems to be a problem in the Nap household too but for different reasons. :lol:

Yata hey
Here, It's watch for the cards (and everything else) in the dog.
Darned if he didn't get one of our VCDL hats and eat it! Still haven't found my Eddie Bauer hat.:X

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

peter nap wrote:
Grapeshot wrote:
peter nap wrote:
riverrat10k wrote:

Yata hey
Here, It's watch for the cards (and everything else) in the dog.
Darned if he didn't get one of our VCDL hats and eat it! Still haven't found my Eddie Bauer hat.:X
Look in the back yard where the grass grows in thick, green clumps. :lol:

Yata hey