• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OT: OC Sword ? same laws a firearms?

Batousaii

imported post

So, I have a friend who is into Renaissance (and modern equivalent) style, and was having a conversation with a this friend about Firearms, Laws, Social acceptance etc., and we raised the question of "Can you open carry a sword?". I told my friend that i believe you can, but wasn't 100% sure, and also raised the question of definitions. When does it stop being a "knife or Dagger" and becomes a "sword". So, i figured i would bring a slightly off topic question to the group i know would provide some insight and help us shed some light.

1) Is it legal to OC a sword? - Same laws a firearms?

2) Definition, when does it stop being a knife and become a sword?

3) Anything I have not addressed? Concealed carry or anything else.

4) <from over my shoulder> what about other "archaic" weapons, mace, axe, Bow and Arrow, flintlocks, and other ancient style weapons etc.

*) Lets assume anything mentioned can be carried via strap, sheath, saya, shouldered or on the belt openly.

TY for helping answer this question. My friend and I appreciate some serious answers to this potentially humorous topic.

:dude:TY Kindly.

Bat

j2l3

imported post

I cannot cite a specififc law, so take this however you want:

In a meeting at the Seattle PD West Precinct last year this topic came up. The information given at the time from the PD was that it was legal, as long as you are not waving it around in a threatening manner. Police would consider carrying it in your hand, without a scabbard, as waving it around.

In the same discussion, the subject of cane swords came up. These are swords that are hidden in a cane. This is a concealed weapon, though not covered by the CPL because thatonly actuallyapplies tohandguns.

BigDaddy5

imported post

No, a sword does not have the same laws as a firearm. A firearm falls under state pre-emption, where as a sword does not. Seattle, for example, in SMC 12A.14.010 states:

A. "Dangerous knife" means any fixed-blade knife and any other knife
having a blade more than three and one-half inches (3 1/2") in length.

B. "Fixed-blade knife" means any knife, regardless of blade length,
with a blade which is permanently open and does not fold, retract or
slide into the handle of the knife, and includes any dagger, sword,
bayonet, bolo knife, hatchet, axe, straight-edged razor, or razor
blade not in a package, dispenser or shaving appliance.

And then 12A.14.080 states:

It is unlawful for a person knowingly to:

B. Carry concealed or unconcealed on his or her person any dangerous
knife, or carry concealed on his or her person any deadly weapon other
than a firearm; or

BigDaddy5

imported post

j2l3 wrote:
I cannot cite a specififc law, so take this however you want:

In a meeting at the Seattle PD West Precinct last year this topic came up.  The information given at the time from the PD was that it was legal, as long as you are not waving it around in a threatening manner.  Police would consider carrying it in your hand, without a scabbard, as waving it around.

In the same discussion, the subject of cane swords came up.  These are swords that are hidden in a cane.  This is a concealed weapon, though not covered by the CPL because that only actually applies to handguns.

A cane sword would fall under RCW 9.41.250, specifically

(b) Furtively carries with intent to conceal any dagger, dirk, pistol, or other dangerous weapon; or

shad0wfax

imported post

As others have pointed out, swords (and any other weapon excepting firearms) have no state preemption backing them.

Therefore any municipality or county may restrict the carry of a sword at their discretion. If you plan on open-carrying a sword, read all of your county and local municipal code(s) if you are in an incorporated area.

Batousaii

imported post

Well, no, not me, i am a gun guy. Mostly ihave a CC Colt 45. Auto as my arm. At most would consider OCing that arm, and if i got super brave (my personal fav rig) would be a SAA in a drop loop, unfortunately that's a real attention getter as it is... i'm just not that brave yet.

- My friend however is big into the whole Renaissance (and a modern retro equiv) style, and was raising an eyebrow to my talking about OC support. After reading the posts, he kinda felt like "what the hell, a swords not an "arm" since when". And, though i personally would notcarry a sword, i'd have to agree with him on that. From a 2-A supporting standpoint, i fully understand his feelings here too. So we now define only guns as arms ? - The right to keep and bear'guns" shall not be infringed?? did i miss something?, well, i do believe the common military sabre was a staple issue "arm" to officers at the time of writing. So, yes, i would totally understandmy friends disappointment andfeelings here. He is not a gun guy, but would totally carry a rapier in a modern swashbuckler getup... why ?? cause he likes it, and he is good with a sword, and it would make him feel safe having an arm he knows how to use...... sound familiar?

:lol:I think we all know that feeling yes ?

Anyways - TY for the info guys. My friend and I appreciate the posts, i better go console him now <lol>

Bat.