• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry Lunch - Fuddruckers in Fairfax

dean2k

imported post

Fuddruckers on Route 123 in Fairfax. It is a good location and right off of I-66 and not far from 495 for anyone that is driving more than a few miles - and not too far from the NRA range should anyone want to go shooting before or after.

Establishment: Fuddruckers

Day & Date: Saturday, August 15, 2009.

Time: 1:00PM

Tele: (703) 359-1040

See you there!!

- Dean

Riana

imported post

I'm 99% sure I won't be able to make this. My mom is flying in from California that afternoon, and it would completely freak her out if I showed up at Dulles OCing (I'd have to pick her up directly from the event - not stopping at home first). :p

She's not anti-gun, but I'm sure she doesn't know that I carry, let alone OC. Her 2-week visit will be SO much more pleasant if I ease her into the idea.

Tess

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Supposed to be doing a favor for an old friend that day. Won't know until later in the week what time(s) I'll be free. I'll stop by if I can.

nova

imported post

There's the possibility I might not make it now, I might be in PA. Won't know 'till Saturday :?

Edit: Turns out I don't have to be in PA this weekend so I should be there for lunch tomorrow.

Jeff_the_voter

imported post

Yo Dean, good talking with you yesterday. I plan to be there on Saturday. I cleared it with my wife (hehe). See you then.

dean2k

imported post

I spoke with the manager of Fairfax Fuddruckers today. He was very happy and supportive to have the opencarry group at Fairfax Fuddruckers.

See you all there!!

Dean Rogers

NRA Member
VCDL Member

ed

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
imported post

dean2k wrote:
I spoke with the manager of Fairfax Fuddruckers today. He was very happy and supportive to have the opencarry group at Fairfax Fuddruckers.
You are luck this did not backfire.. we (OCDO, VCDL, etc) usually have a don't ask don't tell policy. This does not mean you don;t still call ahead and say "I have a group of ## people coming" but you don't really discuss OC or if we will be wearing red shirts or sneakers or anything else..

Carry On.

Ed

nova

imported post

ed wrote:
dean2k wrote:
You are luck this did not backfire.. we (OCDO, VCDL, etc) usually have a don't ask don't tell policy. This does not mean you don;t still call ahead and say "I have a group of ## people coming" but you don't really discuss OC or if we will be wearing red shirts or sneakers or anything else..

Carry On.

Ed
I'll agree with you on that point, I always let the restaurant know ahead of time to expect a group, but never mention OC or anything other than the fact a group is coming. That puts the guy on the spot to make a definitive decision and if they're on the fence they'll usually side with "no" because in their mind they're playing it safe.

But, at least it worked out in our favor in this case, and adds another OC-supportive restaurant to the list of gun-friendly businesses in the area. :)

dean2k

imported post

I would rather put the manager on the spot over the telephone and/or with me one-on-one in person than with a group of open carriers being asked to leave an establishment. It is what I consider common courtesy to call ahead and discuss OC. If the shoe were on the other foot and I were the manager or owner, I would appreciate the forewarning, if for no other reason than to discuss the matter with the store staff whom may be less educated about such matters. And in so doing, if there is any doubt about the Law or any other question about OCing - someone has the ability to allay fears and/or concerns. In the instant case, the Manager is retired LEO and has pretty positive experiences with OCers. After all - part of the OC is the education. If there is ever a problem with an establishment from calling ahead, I would enjoy the opportunity to speak with the manager / owner. Cheers! - Dean

nova

imported post

dean2k wrote:
I would rather put the manager on the spot over the telephone and/or with me one-on-one in person than with a group of open carriers being asked to leave an establishment. It is what I consider common courtesy to call ahead and discuss OC. If the shoe were on the other foot and I were the manager or owner, I would appreciate the forewarning, if for no other reason than to discuss the matter with the store staff whom may be less educated about such matters. And in so doing, if there is any doubt about the Law or any other question about OCing - someone has the ability to allay fears and/or concerns. In the instant case, the Manager is retired LEO and has pretty positive experiences with OCers. After all - part of the OC is the education. If there is ever a problem with an establishment from calling ahead, I would enjoy the opportunity to speak with the manager / owner. Cheers! - Dean
That is true, in the opposite case, I've been with a group of OCers who were turned away from an establishment...but in the process found another positive OC friendly restaurant around the corner.

Either way, I look forward to meeting you and the few other new members from this site :)

ed

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
imported post

From the VCDL web site: http://www.vcdl.org/static/gue.html

We have a "DON'T ASK, DON'T TELL POLICY." NEVER ask if it is OK or for permission to carry anywhere. Don't make an issue of the fact you are carrying. Don't cause problems for future patrons, or even for yourself. The point is, you want to have your defensive tool with you. No one needs to know. Don't make a big deal out of it. Try to be low key. KNOW THE LAW IF YOU ARE GOING TO CARRY OPENLY. PLEASE, don't cause problems that you will then expect others, or us to correct. Thank you.