Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What do you carry (make/model) and Why?

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter bad_ace's Avatar

Post imported post

I'm gathering data for an upcoming Open Carry Radio. I think other listeners of the show would be interested.

If you feel inclined please reply with the make and model of your carry piece. If you want (I know it's a personal question) give a brief explanation of why you carry.

For those of you that are a bit narcissistic (like myself) you can phone your answers in, 41 - PC12031E is the number.

Post imported post

edit!
    When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes duty.

Founder's Club Member MudCamper's Avatar

Post imported post

Taurus Millennium Pro PT-145

Very small 10 round .45, and it's inexpensive so it's easily replaced if confiscated/stolen.

Post imported post

Hi-Point C9

$200.00 OTD, reliable, accurate, 100% unconditional warranty. Put about 1,500 rounds through it, jammed a couple times at first, then I polished the feed ramp, no more jams. Big Ugly Brick of a gun, but it was what I could afford.

I carry for a combination of reasons. One because I can. Two, to help educate those who don't know it's legal.

In my own neighborhood, I carry LOC. I do this because of the recent gang tagging, and the occasional pitbull or other big aggressive dog that runs loose in my area. When not in my own area, I UOC when I can, but there are a lot of schools out there, so when in the car, I usually keep it in the lockbox on the seat beside me.

Post imported post

Usually my Springfield custom .45, in a Serpa. Two or three mags topped with Cor-Bon 185gr HP's.

I have been known to buckle on the SAAwith all cartridge loops filled, just to make it fun for the Police doing an "E" check

Post imported post

Springfield Armory XD45 & 1911 GI, Ruger GP100. Why? Well, because that's what I have. I have them because I like them, but I'm not really sure I could give you a better reason for liking them beyond "Well, I just do."

Post imported post

My most common OC piece would be a .40 cal Sig P229 with Corbon 135 grain +P in a Blackhawk Serpa.

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter bigtoe416's Avatar

Post imported post

Glock 22 with night sights. My ammo is Winchester Ranger JHP in 180 grain (I think). The Glock is my first and only handgun, I bought it after reading Boston's Gun Bible which recommended Glocks since they're simple, cheap, and just plain work. I like simple devices, and having something just plain work sounded good, so that was good enough for me.

Post imported post

Taurus Tracker .44mag with 200gr Winchester Silvertips.

3rd lightest .44mag one can buy, good warranty and I can feed it what I feed its bigger brother, the 16" SS Puma 92.

Post imported post

Glock 23 because I dont want a 45 due to through and through shots and 9mm wont stop crack heads

I chose the compact model because its easy to conceal yet alot more accurate than the subcompact and is not a large as the full size

I compete with this pistol tooo

Post imported post

I have a Ruger P95 9mm. The reason I got that is because at the time I bought it there was talk of going tomandatory grip safety's. Something like that anyway. Basically I had just missed out on my chance to buy a 50 cal rifle,thanks to arnold, and I didn't want a grip safety's. Had to borrow some cash to beat the deadline. Guess that never passed. Ironically I just picked up my last rifle on the day the "bank bailout" was passed. I guess I miss the constitution and personal responsibility.

State Researcher

Post imported post

Sig P220 (45cal) in a lvl 2 Blackhawk SERPA; carried with two mags on my off hip in Blackhawk mag holders.

Since it appears nobody has chimed in yet, I guess I'll be the first to explain why I carry:

My primary reason to open carry to protest the civil right abuse we face. I also carry for self defense, but I almost always have my firearm unloaded or locked up due to carry restrictions.

ETA: Once I open carried my loaded Ruger Mini14 in rural Stanislaus County, but to be fair I was on my way to a private shooting range (aka my friend's 1,000 acre 'back yard'.)
    Participant in the Free State Project - "Liberty in Our Lifetime" - www.freestateproject.org
    Supporter of the CalGuns Foundation - http://www.calgunsfoundation.org/
    Supporter of the Madison Society - www.madison-society.org

Don't Tread On Me.

Post imported post

Oh ya, I didn't say 'why' I OC.

99.9% - Comfort. OC is simply FAR more comfortable on a day to day basis in the desert.

0.79% - 'A right not exercised is a right lost'

0.01% - education of others

Post imported post

Taurus PT1911 with the GOLD trim and bright pearl handles =) just to be gaudy... as a few people seem to not like open carry I just thought I would make it a bit more fun! And surprisingly its more accurate then my XDM and fun to shoot!

*stock photo, not actual* at work and dont have it with me so i *borrowed* this pic

Post imported post

Sig P226 .40 non-railed model. Hogue grips.

Speer 165-gr GDHP is my carry load.

Blackhawk Serpa level 2. Fobus double holster weak side.

Will only leave the holster to be put away for transport and for checks. Otherwise, I cannot shoot well enough for it to leave the holster in public regardless of threat level. I will be taking classes in the next week or two to try to rectify my shooting issues.

Why?

Because it is just. Because there should be no law regulating it. Because it helps open hearts and minds.

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter Sons of Liberty's Avatar

Post imported post

Glock 35 (.40) in a Fobus Thumb Lever Roto Belt Holster (GL2PBRB)

CZ 75B (.40) in a Fobus Thumb Strap Break Roto Belt Holster (BR2TRB)

Reasons:

1. Protection.

2. To exercise my right to bear arms.

3. To let others get use to it.

4. No government-mandated taxes/fees, special classes, permission/permits. :celebrate

Edit: Added reason #4.
    Clinging to God & Guns: The Constitution Restoration Project

Post imported post

I carry an H&K USP compact 9mm. As to why I choose that gun it is one of the few that with my disability I am easily able to pull the slide back on not to mention the ambidextrous slide release.

State Researcher

Post imported post

mjones wrote:

99.9% - Comfort. OC is simply FAR more comfortable on a day to day basis in the desert.

Sorry, but I can't pass up the chance to point out that adds up to 100.70%.
    Participant in the Free State Project - "Liberty in Our Lifetime" - www.freestateproject.org
    Supporter of the CalGuns Foundation - http://www.calgunsfoundation.org/
    Supporter of the Madison Society - www.madison-society.org

Don't Tread On Me.

Post imported post

edit!
    When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes duty.

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter bigtoe416's Avatar

Post imported post

The reason I open carry is more about the collective benefit I believe it would have if more people did it than about my personal safety. I feel that crime would plummet if every law-abiding citizen openly had a firearm on their person. I also feel that our representatives wouldn't pass legislation which trampled on our rights (i.e. Patriot Act, FISA, etc.) if they knew that they would have to face their constituents who were all amply armed.

Or, to put it another way, the security of the free State is best defended by the militia.

Post imported post

CA_Libertarian wrote:
    mjones wrote:

Too funny, I was just noticing that myself! hahahah...oh well

Post imported post

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter bad_ace's Avatar

Post imported post

mjones wrote:
    CA_Libertarian wrote:
    mjones wrote:

Too funny, I was just noticing that myself! hahahah...oh well
    Ha! I expect all open carriers are giving more than 100% Keep it up.

Post imported post

bigtoe416 wrote:
    The reason I open carry is more about the collective benefit I believe it would have if more people did it than about my personal safety. I feel that crime would plummet if every law-abiding citizen openly had a firearm on their person. I also feel that our representatives wouldn't pass legislation which trampled on our rights (i.e. Patriot Act, FISA, etc.) if they knew that they would have to face their constituents who were all amply armed.

Or, to put it another way, the security of the free State is best defended by the militia.
    IMHO, crime plummets when between 15%-25% of the law abiding citizens are carrying (concealed or openly) and the BGs don't know which people or when so there is an overall deterrent effect when the chances are that at least a few people in every setting (cafe, mall, etc.) other than a bar are packing.

That's how it is in South Dakota and crime is very low. And it's not because there aren't criminals or people with things to steal. It's because 25%-40% of the law abiding citizens are packing and no one knows which ones or where so it is assumed that armed robbery (other than bars) is a suicide mission.

Post imported post

TatankaGap wrote:
    IMHO, crime plummets when between 15%-25% of the law abiding citizens are carrying (concealed or openly) and the BGs don't know which people or when so there is an overall deterrent effect when the chances are that at least a few people in every setting (cafe, mall, etc.) other than a bar are packing.

That's how it is in South Dakota and crime is very low. And it's not because there aren't criminals or people with things to steal. It's because 25%-40% of the law abiding citizens are packing and no one knows which ones or where so it is assumed that armed robbery (other than bars) is a suicide mission.
    Can you provide acitation for the statistics of armed packing populace in South Dakota?

I would expect that anecdotally the percentage would be similar to published figures from other states which seem to vary in the 1% to 5% range. Even those are theoritical numbers based on the number of CCW licencees...no way to know if a licencee actually carries or not. And of course those numbers don't like account for Open Carriers.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast