• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

What do you carry (make/model) and Why?

mjones

imported post

CA_Libertarian wrote:
mjones wrote:
Oh ya, I didn't say 'why' I OC.

99.9% - Comfort. OC is simply FAR more comfortable on a day to day basis in the desert.

0.79% - 'A right not exercised is a right lost'

0.01% - education of others
Sorry, but I can't pass up the chance to point out that adds up to 100.70%. :lol:
Too funny, I was just noticing that myself! hahahah...oh well

bad_ace

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

mjones wrote:
CA_Libertarian wrote:
mjones wrote:
Oh ya, I didn't say 'why' I OC.

99.9% - Comfort. OC is simply FAR more comfortable on a day to day basis in the desert.

0.79% - 'A right not exercised is a right lost'

0.01% - education of others
Sorry, but I can't pass up the chance to point out that adds up to 100.70%. :lol:
Too funny, I was just noticing that myself! hahahah...oh well

Ha! I expect all open carriers are giving more than 100% Keep it up.

TatankaGap

imported post

bigtoe416 wrote:
The reason I open carry is more about the collective benefit I believe it would have if more people did it than about my personal safety. I feel that crime would plummet if every law-abiding citizen openly had a firearm on their person. I also feel that our representatives wouldn't pass legislation which trampled on our rights (i.e. Patriot Act, FISA, etc.) if they knew that they would have to face their constituents who were all amply armed.

Or, to put it another way, the security of the free State is best defended by the militia.
IMHO, crime plummets when between 15%-25% of the law abiding citizens are carrying (concealed or openly) and the BGs don't know which people or when so there is an overall deterrent effect when the chances are that at least a few people in every setting (cafe, mall, etc.) other than a bar are packing.

That's how it is in South Dakota and crime is very low. And it's not because there aren't criminals or people with things to steal. It's because 25%-40% of the law abiding citizens are packing and no one knows which ones or where so it is assumed that armed robbery (other than bars) is a suicide mission.

mjones

imported post

TatankaGap wrote:
IMHO, crime plummets when between 15%-25% of the law abiding citizens are carrying (concealed or openly) and the BGs don't know which people or when so there is an overall deterrent effect when the chances are that at least a few people in every setting (cafe, mall, etc.) other than a bar are packing.

That's how it is in South Dakota and crime is very low. And it's not because there aren't criminals or people with things to steal. It's because 25%-40% of the law abiding citizens are packing and no one knows which ones or where so it is assumed that armed robbery (other than bars) is a suicide mission.

Can you provide acitation for the statistics of armed packing populace in South Dakota?

I would expect that anecdotally the percentage would be similar to published figures from other states which seem to vary in the 1% to 5% range. Even those are theoritical numbers based on the number of CCW licencees...no way to know if a licencee actually carries or not. And of course those numbers don't like account for Open Carriers.

TatankaGap

imported post

in SD, the CCW records are closed so that is not avail. At least 1/2 the South Dakotans I know (other than on the Rez) are carrying - young, old, men, women, married, single - you could research it - I will be seeing our SD Deputy Secy of State next week and I will ask her if she has a guesstimate -

bigtoe416

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

This article looks like it covers the topic pretty well (it's from December 2006):

http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20061217/NEWS/612170334

Records compiled from the state - and now barred from public view, under a law passed this year by the Legislature - show that 7.4 percent of South Dakota adults had such a permit as of June 30. Next closest are Indiana and Pennsylvania, with 6.4 percent of adults licensed to carry a handgun.
The article has a map of SD by county, four counties have greater than 10% issuance. The lowest issuance rate is 1.4%, the highest 11.7%. Pretty cool!

Berzerker

imported post

Well I recently learned about UOC and after researching the subject with the great help from all here on this forum posting do's and don'ts, if it's my right, why not?

I have a Sig 2022 in .357SIG and I plan to alternate that with myXD40 Springfield. I also have a .357SIG barrel for it.

Just for shits and giggles I plan on carrying myBrowning HP or alternating it with my Springfield MilSpec 1911 in my M-7 shoulder holster with matching WWII style mag holster.

And possibly my Taurus Tracker .44 Magnum in a nice cross the chest leather holster. I have speed loaders ready for the pocket.

Berzerker

imported post

Sorry but I couldn't get this to post and then it did.... 4 or 5 times! LOL duh

If anyone can clue me in on how to delete my own post I would be greatful. Oh wellI canshow more guns!

I also have a sweet little Walther TPH in .22 Favorite assination gun of CIA Don't tell Pelosi !

Berzerker

imported post

Well as long as I can't get rid of these duplicate posts, I might as well share another OC choice. That the great thing about UOC vs. CCW. No limit to the different types you carry as long as you have a holster.

Here's my XD-40/357

Sonora Rebel

imported post

Springfield Armory 1911-A1 .45acp carry gun

Daewoo DH40 .40 S&W house carrygun

Makarov 9 x 18mm yard/garage gun

Ruger Vaquero SAA .45LC play gun

Why? Self defense... Effective, reliable... lethal.

Theseus

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I carry a Springfield Armory XD 40 Tactical in a Blackhawk SERPA.

When I first started OC'ing it was a FEG PA-63 in an Uncle Mikes holster.

I carry for the purpose of self defense. It is the only way that I can carry legally other than LCCC which to me is less effective than OC.

moleculo

imported post

Around the neighborhood UOC - Colt .45 Gold Cup that has some smithing work to make it even better. While hunting/camping/hiking I usually LOC a Charter Arms Bulldog in .44 special. When I get a suitable holster and mag pouch for the Glock 19 with night sights I will UOC that since it's smaller &less obtrusive.

Why? Too many wild animals in my neighborhood - bears,coyotes, & bobcats can be seen regularly. Also the occasional idiots that frequent the nearby park have caused trouble from time to time. And because it's my right to.

I do it while hunting/camping/hiking because it's a tool that you should not be without if you're going to be in the wild.