• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Famous Ex Detroit Cop/ Stopping Power Author Evan Marshall on Open Carry

wewd

imported post

Unfortunately far too many people like this guy end up becoming cops. The idea of being able to go anywhere armed and be essentially above the law is just too appealing for them. They are simply psychopaths/sociopaths. Just like a disproportionate number of pedophiles are found in certain vocations where they would have easy access to children and an automatic level of trust from the public because of their station.

There are more than a few bad apples and it has spoiled the entire bushel, and nobody seems to give a damn about doing something about it. Most likely because those same types of people are the ones in charge.

emptypockets

imported post

The bearing of arms is what keeps us "self centered" slugs free from the tyranny of someone's size 12 boot jamming into our necks. I doubt that the majority of officers feel the way that those on the forum seem to think, including Marshall. The sight of gun on a hip is a deterrent just the same as concealed is a tactical surprise. The "BG enters a store and sees a OCer and takes him out first" mantra is wearing out. Most BG's entering a store to rob are there for the quick score and want to live. The reality is that seeing a OCer standing at the counter or somewhere else would probably make the BG turn tail like the coward he is and run for an easier target.

The last time I looked at the Constitution it did not mention that only government officials and law enforcement have the right to openly bear arms and the rest of us hide them so we don't hurt someone's feelings.

You cannot have the right to bear arms with restrictions, it is either our right to bear arms freely or not. You just cannot have it both ways.

jeremy05

imported post

i started a new thread on OC vs CC and ill say most the people are pretty hard core CC completly closed minded to the OC

conservative85

imported post

First I'd like to say That as a former police occifer, I would not personally, nor as part of my training, knock some one down first and ask questions later, and any cop that does is a pig! 2nd this would be a case where as a legal citizen, and a Mi. resident that I could legally (MCL) resist this attempt at an illegal arrest. 3rd I think it is just a hogwash post. 4th if he as a cop finds every citizen as a potential life threatening situation he needs to get a new line of work. He volunteered to be a cop. As with the military your job is to put yourself in harms way, so I don't have to. We all know thou that cops cant protect us all, at all times. There for I render them useless, and choose to carry for my protection. If he don't like it he can go to another country, like Canada, or Washington D.C., Maybe Russia!

conservative85

imported post

dougwg wrote:
jeremy05 wrote:
i started a new thread on OC vs CC and ill say most the people are pretty hard core CC completly closed minded to the OC
http://www.stoppingpower.net/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=17509
I like the one that says if cc is good for civilian or plain clothes police blah blah blah... I'd just like to say if open carry is so stupid and dangerous, then why do uniformed occifers do it? hmm hmmm Oh that's right be cause it is a deterrent and against the law to conceal w/o permit. even the law has to carry open. they are not above the law. This was always my arguement with my neighbor. If a cop can carry open because of his uniform/job, then why does a cop have to have a cpl to conceal? I mean if he is a cop he should be able to conceal w/o a permit because of his uniform/job.