• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Oh, by the way... Hi!

Autonym

imported post

Hey guys,

So I've been talking with you folks, virtually, for a little while now. Looking at some of your profiles, some of you have been on here forever, while others are newer.

I just started looking in to this within the last month or so, and decided to chime in here and there, and it just sorta snowballed until I now check here pretty much everyday.

I figured it might be a nice idea to do a post to tell you a bit about me. I considered doing this in the 'General Discussion' forum, but most of my posts are about Oregon, so I thought I'd just bore you folks and not the whole nationwide group.

Moderator: If this is the wrong place, sorry! Please feel free to move it.

So, about myself:

I'm 38, married, with two kids, a 14 year old daughter and a 12 year old son.

I'm a former US Army Sergeant - I've been out about 10 years now. I served 6 years as a Military Intelligence SIGINT Analyst (yeah, yeah, I know oxymoron/"Contradiction In Terms" - trust me, I've heard them all). I managed to slot between either Gulf War and instead got to go to Hungary and later Bosnia for my troubles. My last tour before separating was at Ft Meade, Maryland, the home of NSA.

I learned a lot of neat stuff at Ft. Meade, and when I left the Army I managed to easily pick up a job doing Network Security for an ISP in the SF Bay Area. After a little bit of work with that, I jumped over to a network security products manufacturer called NetScreen, which was later acquired by Juniper Networks. I still work for them now.

My current job is to figure out the latest security tricks and hacking techniques, then apply that knowledge to create signature updates for Juniper's Intrusion Detection and Prevention (IDP) line of security products. It's challenging and unique work that pays the bills. I telecommute, and therefore work out of my home with a really short commute (just a stumble down the hall) and very flexible work schedule.

We moved up to Oregon from California (yes, a transplant) about a year ago now. I currently live in a rental home in Sherwood but we own 5 acres of land up in the Chehalem Mountain area just off the north slope of Bald Peak State Park - straight north of Newberg, straight south of Hillsboro. We just signed a contract and are in the financing stage of getting a house built up there. It's pretty exciting to be so close to actually starting construction, it's almost killing me.

I'm very good with computers and network technology. I'm a second-generation computer nerd, so I come by it naturally. I like playing computer games (first person shooters ("FPS") and real-time strategy ("RTS"), mostly), stumbling through the Internet, and cleaning my guns.

I've come to realize that there's other ways to spend my time rather than be on the computer every waking moment. To some of you this may seem obvious, but it's the culmination of a 25-year experience for me. So, I've needed something to occupy my non-computing, non-family time - basically I need to get out of the house.

I have an overly strong sense of justice - I dislike seeing people "get away" with stuff they know is wrong. I also think that doing the lawful thing isn't always the same as doing the right thing.

So I discovered the Washington County Sheriff's Reserve Academy. It's free training and when successfully completed, you become a full-fledged, unpaid Sheriff's Reserve Deputy. Not doing fund raisers. Not cleaning out the precinct toilets. Actually out on patrol with the car, flashlight, and gun.

It sounds pretty cool, and so I've started to look into it. Except... they just canceled this year's (2009-2010) academy due to budget cuts, so the earliest I could attend would be in 2011, which is a real bummer. I'll have to settle for ride-alongs and maybe the Citizen's Academy until then I guess.

I just acquired my first personal handgun - a Glock 19. I chose the 19 because 9mm rounds are very common, are easier on the wrist than a .40 or .45, and the 19 is compact enough to conceal, but large enough to be reasonably accurate. It's a compromise gun, but it works well enough.

Now that I have this handgun, I'd like to use it, which is why I've been drawn to the Open Carry movement. I have a Ruger 10/22 that hardly ever comes out of the closet because I'm too busy to go shooting regularly. By Open Carrying, I'll be using my handgun quite a bit!

Anyway, that's pretty much me in a nutshell. My real name is Dave, but my handle is "Autonym" or just "Auto" for short - any/either is fine.

Nice talking with you guys. I'm looking forward to meeting some of you at Bombers this Thursday.

P.S. - "Autonym" literally means "Self-Named", or the name one gives to oneself. So using Autonym as my handle (the name I pick for myself) is a bit of a play-on-words.

lukeshort

imported post

Glad to meet you Auto. I'm a California native myself. My whole family moved to Oregon, when I was a small kid. I don't remember much about California and what I do remember I'd like to forget. I fight shy of political talk when it comes to open discussions, unless I absolutely feel like something needs said. So I'll keep my ideas to myself about the politics in both states. I consider myself an Oregonian, at heart. I love this state. The northwest is my home and always will be.

I don't post a lot on this site as much anymore. But I read the posts almost everyday. I've been Army myself and currently serve in the Oregon Guard. I believe I've grown out of it, or have got it all out of my system now and will end my service soon. I have had a blast now and then, literally. But I'm hanging up my boots and keeping mylife to myself again.

It seems that this site has lost it's mystique here in Oregon. I would like to see it grow and would like to see more CHL holders Open Carry more. I've seen a few OP's in and around the Beaverton area, but could not positively I.D. them as non-LEO. I'm not all that into O.C. as a regular habit, but do carry one way or the other always.

I'm going to try and make some of the meets as a first step on my part to advance my personal understanding of the people who seem to believe as I do. That indeed a right un-exercised is a right lost. If things were as they ought to be, this forum may be about something else and not the right to open carry. I also don't believe one should have to ask permission to hide a firearm on their person. That as far as I'm concerned is a right also. It shouldn't be a crime. It is very uneasy the restraints built into society and I hope one day this will change. People just have to work at it and work together for that change to take effect. Actually my beliefs on the right to bear armsare much deeper, but I"ll save that for another time.

Well, welcome and enjoy Oregon.

Autonym

imported post

Hey Inspire!

Good time having an "OC" lunch with you today. We'll have to do it again sometime.

~Auto

Autonym

imported post

Lukeshort,

Thanks for the positive comments.

I did like certain things about California, but now after being here almost a year, I think the "De-Californication" process is almost complete. Giving up my CA license was the final act, I think. I've had the same DL number for 22 years - it was hard to let go.

I actually drive the speed limit here, and try not to get too upset when people drive 10 mph under in the left lane - I'm working on it. :)

I've never really considered myself a political radical. I'm an NRA member, but some of more inflammatory things they'd put out really made me scratch my head. But then I see people acting like those MSNBC news anchors (see the " Open carrier on MSNBC at Obama Rally!!!" topic), and I'm like.... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, Over?

Idiocy of any kind really gets my goat. If people would just slow down and think before they spoke, I'm certain the world would be a much better place. This is definitely one of those times when it's not a good idea to fight "fire" (stupidity) with "fire" (more stupidity).

~Auto

We-the-People

imported post

Welcome to the United States of America. I too am a political refugee from TAXifornia (and also new TONIGHT to this board). We moved up here 4 years ago (Medford area) and like it but can see a lot of the bad influence of Taxifornia coming in as well and know that if we don't exercise our 2A RIGHTS and educate the general population as well as the L.E.'s we stand a good chance of watching things slowly go away.

As it is, LEGALLY open carrying can cause problems, as can CC even though it's a RIGHT. The local hospitals here have "no guns" signs, even though one of them takes public dollars (the private one is perfectly in their rights). However, CC allows me to ignore those signs and unless they ask me to leave (under trespass, and I don't) we've not broken the LAW.

My condolences on your time in the Army, my step son made the same mistake. In fact his wife is MI. I can say that as I'm a Jarhead myself so please take it as friendly rivalry, certainly not a serious cut. SMILE

The 10-22 can be fun, just make sure if you buy any extended capacity mags for it that you get the ones with the steel inserts in teh feed area. One company calls them "steel lips" as compared to their plastic "hot lips". The steel feed ramps hold up much better. If you're interested, I've got a lot of .22 ballistic info (commercial loads) in an Excel spreadsheet. Energy, bullet drop, etc. by manufacturer and load.

Autonym

imported post

It's all good. My brother was a Marine. He went in an A-hole, he came out an A-hole, so... as far as I can tell, the Marine's didn't do anything for him, except maybe make him MORE of an A-hole. :)

Hehe...

Medford's a bit of a drive from where I am, so chances are slim we'd meet up much. But keep up the good work, pushing back to defend our 2nd A rights.

Strangerer

imported post

I'm only technically a Khalif. native, myself; my family moved to my dad's hometown in SW Washington when I was a wee tot.

I spent the mid-80s on the tree-less plains with the Air Force, and I was stranded inland for a few more years before I moved to Oregon about twenty years ago now.

In your intro post, you don't mention the Tri-County Gun Club there in Sherwood. I just joined last week so I'll have a place to practice with the Argentine 7.65 I've had for years, and the Hi-Point C9 I just got earlier this month.

Autonym

imported post

It's because I just joined there myself last weekend. :D

I was "Similey Guy" that the old gunny picked on wearing the black NIN shirt.

I've already gone there twice to shoot...

Autonym

imported post

Strangerererer...:D

We'll have to meet up sometime with anyone else on here who is a member and shoot sometime.

Too bad they don't support open carry on the premises.

Ironbar

imported post

I've hear a lot about the Sherwood gun club, but I just can't afford that kind of scratch to join! Shit!

(I don't suppose they allow you to bring guests do they?):lol: