• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Question on a "Unlawful display" charge..

JBaumgart

imported post

Maybe some of you can provide insight I can give to one of my friends that received a Unlawful Display of a Weapon charge back in 2003.

Reader's Digest version is he didn't know the law and displayed a air pistol to a party that had been tailgating and following him all through Richland quite aggressively. I wasn't there so I don't know details, but seeing as how that is a CPL revokation, but he did not have one. Is he currently banned from a CPL license for the foreseeable future, or will he just be question on particulars of it.

He seems to think he can't get one now, and my searching has turned up half for and half against. I told him to call some attorneys specializing in firearms cases, but don't think he has, and I honeslty don't want to spend a day on the phone. I've known Jake since elementary school and don't feel a shred of nervousness about him possessing a firearm, he OCs most of the time, but just wants a CPL for a extra margin of comfort.

Thanks in advance

5jeffro7

imported post

JBaumgart wrote:
Maybe some of you can provide insight I can give to one of my friends that received a Unlawful Display of a Weapon charge back in 2003.

Reader's Digest version is he didn't know the law and displayed a air pistol to a party that had been tailgating and following him all through Richland quite aggressively. I wasn't there so I don't know details, but seeing as how that is a CPL revokation, but he did not have one. Is he currently banned from a CPL license for the foreseeable future, or will he just be question on particulars of it.

He seems to think he can't get one now, and my searching has turned up half for and half against. I told him to call some attorneys specializing in firearms cases, but don't think he has, and I honeslty don't want to spend a day on the phone. I've known Jake since elementary school and don't feel a shred of nervousness about him possessing a firearm, he OCs most of the time, but just wants a CPL for a extra margin of comfort.

Thanks in advance

not knowing all of the particulars, this may seem a bit harsh, but do we really want someone who will display a weapon to intimidate in this fashion to be carrying?

I'd suggest that BEFORE he gets his CPL that he dtudy & memorize the laws regarding firearms....

Just my .02 worth

cynicist

imported post

RCW 9.41.270

(2) Any person violating the provisions of subsection (1) above shall be guilty of a gross misdemeanor. If any person is convicted of a violation of subsection (1) of this section, the person shall lose his or her concealed pistol license, if any. The court shall send notice of the revocation to the department of licensing, and the city, town, or county which issued the license.

It looks like had he had one, he would have had it revoked, and 9.41.075 states that first offense is for one year.
Tell him to apply.

JBaumgart

imported post

Alrighty, will do that. Thanks all for your input.

I understand what you mean, jeffro, and I would normally more then likely agree with you, but I do believe that it was a situation of him thinking he had the right to display as he thought his safety genuinely was in danger. Defineity his fault, yes, for not knowing the law, which he has put a lot of time and effort into remedying.

I wont post the whole story (Unless everyone's that bored..) I've been told, and while I trust him, there is also the fact that I was not there. I do have to say that if someone was a foot away from my bumper all throughout a city, I would start to wonder about his intentions.. I just woulda pulled into the RPD station on GWay though and let them handle it then risk any kind of confrontation on the side of the road. ;)

Thanks again for the input. I like this board already.