• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC trouble at Home Depot - Cary, NC

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

Redwolf wrote:
Makes for an interesting conversation piece, “Upon the customer saying no, we are to ask the customer to conceal their weapon (regardless if they have a CWP or not as we are not instructed to ask” because NC law is Home Depot is private property and if the owner gives you permission to conceal a weapon its legal. Right?

[/quote]
Huh?

That's a stretch.

Since when can a private party "order" or "suggest"another party to violate the existing law regarding CC and somehow override such existing law?

A stretch.

I suppose someone should get a note to HD legal that their instructionsshould "in no way suggest to customer that he should violate applicable state or federal firearms carry laws."

Lawyers. Everybody wantsta be a lawyer...

fenderfreek

imported post

What's more, the guy supposedly contacted their "legal team" about this - which we all know means he made it up because no lawyer in his right mind would suggest such a thing.

Redwolf

imported post

Since when can a private party "order" or "suggest"another party to violate the existing law regarding CC and somehow override such existing law?

[/quote]I can on my property, since there is no permit is required on privite property. Theres no law to violate. and the owner makes the rules, thats all I was saying.

N6ATF

Banned
imported post

Redwolf wrote:
Since when can a private party "order" or "suggest" another party to violate the existing law regarding CC and somehow override such existing law? 
I can on my property, since there is no permit is required on privite property. Theres no law to violate. and the owner makes the rules, thats all I was saying.
[/quote]

Depends on how the judge rules... in Theseus' case here in CA, his judge essentially ruled businesses aren't private property, and the owner's permission doesn't mean squat.

mekender

imported post

yeah i would tend to agree with you on that, there are numerous cases where state and federal law superceeds private property rights, especially in cases where that property is a business that is open to the public... i wouldnt want to be the test case that establishes this ruling...

chiefjason

imported post

14‑269. Carrying concealed weapons.
(a) It shall be unlawful for any person willfully and intentionally to carry concealed about his person any bowie knife, dirk, dagger, slung shot, loaded cane, metallic knuckles, razor, shurikin, stun gun, or other deadly weapon of like kind, except when the person is on the person's own premises.
(a1) It shall be unlawful for any person willfully and intentionally to carry concealed about his person any pistol or gun except in the following circumstances:
(1) The person is on the person's own premises.

FWIW, my CCP instructor told a business owner that he did not need a permit to carry in his business. The business also sells alcohol for consumption on site. My instructor was accurate on all his other observations, including OC. Don't know if there have been cases where this was disproved. Not as relevant to the OP, but to the later posts.