• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC trouble at Home Depot - Cary, NC

fenderfreek

imported post

A buddy of mine who works at the Crossroads HD told me yesterday that a gentleman came in carrying his handgun, and was asked by store management to leave. When he asked where the signage prohibiting firearms was (there is none), the acting manager said that it was store policy not to allow handguns. I used to work there, and I've OC'ed in there plenty of times, so I know that that is blatantly false.

The management refused to let the man keep shopping, even after my buddy explained to them that what he was doing is perfectly legal. They told him to either leave the gun in his car, or not to come in the store. Apparently the guy didn't want any trouble, so he returned his weapon to the car and continued shopping.
(Edit: The guy did not return to shop, as I understood the first time I heard the story. The guy actually just left after the incident)

I'm planning on OC'ing there today, and if I can get the same reaction, I'm going to have them show me the (nonexistent) store policy or signage that prohibits open carry of firearms.

Will keep posted, but until then this is just a heads-up that you may be harassed for OC'ing at the HD in Crossroads.

JDriver1.8t

imported post

when are you going? I can go with you.
(maximadrvr, if you didn't know btw)

I do all my 'shopping' at the HD as opposed to Lowes, and have been in that exact store multiple dozen times with zero problems.

I'm in need of some MDF.

jmelvin

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Do a search for OC issues at Home Depot. I know of at least two events (both around July or August, 2008) where Home Depot has confirmed that they follow state law only. I was involved in one of these incidents and the discussion can be found in the Ohio section. Another member was involved in an issue in Roanoke, VA and the discussion can be found in the VA section. Again, both incidents occurred within about a month or so of each other (Ohio happening first). This may be of use. :)

Edited to add: Here you go!

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum43/12920.html

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/view_topic.php?id=14088&forum_id=54&highlight=Home+Depot+Roanoke

fenderfreek

imported post

JDriver1.8t wrote:
when are you going? I can go with you.
(maximadrvr, if you didn't know btw)

I do all my 'shopping' at the HD as opposed to Lowes, and have been in that exact store multiple dozen times with zero problems.

I'm in need of some MDF.
Yep, I knew who you were on here;). I've just been lurking and not posting.

I'll probably go this evening after work, maybe 6 or so. Pm me your number and I'll give you a call once I get out of here.

jmelvin wrote:
Do a search for OC issues at Home Depot. I know of at least two events (both around July or August, 2008) where Home Depot has confirmed that they follow state law only. I was involved in one of these incidents and the discussion can be found in the Ohio section. Another member was involved in an issue in Roanoke, VA and the discussion can be found in the VA section. Again, both incidents occurred within about a month or so of each other (Ohio happening first). This may be of use. :)

Edited to add: Here you go!

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum43/12920.html

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/view_topic.php?id=14088&forum_id=54&highlight=Home+Depot+Roanoke

Thanks for the links - I'm going to read through those. I know what the "real" store policy is on firearms, and it's that employees are not permitted to carry on the clock. We had no official policy at that store that I was aware of as it relates to regular customers.

fenderfreek

imported post

Yeah, after talking to some more employees I know, it's just a handful of managers that are anti-zealots. I'm going to try and go back sometime when I know they're at the store.

Most folks there are just fine, in fact the guy that ripped a board for JDriver while we were there is a gun guy himself.

The links in the original post work, the ones in my copy-paste quote do not.

fenderfreek

imported post

I got an email from my guy inside with an update - the District Operations Manager issued a "official" statement on the matter - this is his email to me summing up what he was told:

If a customer enters the store with a handgun visible we are to approach the customer and ask if they are LEO. Upon the customer saying no, we are to ask the customer to conceal their weapon (regardless if they have a CWP or not as we are not instructed to ask). If they refuse to conceal their weapon we are to call the local police.

Keep in mind we have NO sign on the premises ANYWHERE stating no weapons allowed. Any citizen entering the premises is WELL within their right to open carry

Here is our company's "SOP" Quoted exactly: Under no circumstances may associates bring firearms, weapons, explosives, or other threatening devices on Company property or in Company vehicles. This includes those for which the holder has a legal permit. See Code of Conduct. The Home Depot has a "zero tolerance" policy for any actions that threaten its associates, customers, suppliers, visitors or property. Any associate, customer, supplier or visitor who violates this policy may be subject to: disciplinary action up to and including immediate termination, ejection from our property, and/or prosecution.

Actions that threaten can include:
-comments or behavior that would be interpreted by a reasonable person as an intention to harm, intimidate, or arouse fear in another associate, customer, supplier, or visitor or to harm property
-behavior that actually causes harm to an associate, customer, supplier, visitor or property

N6ATF

Banned
imported post

fenderfreek wrote:
Apparently the guy didn't want any trouble, so he returned his weapon to the car and continued shopping.

Argh, pull out your pad and paper in front of the dirtbag, copy his nametag down (or ask if there is none), tell him you're contacting corporate, leave the cart right where it is, and exit the store. DO NOT PATRONIZE! (right away)

fenderfreek

imported post

N6ATF wrote:
fenderfreek wrote:
Apparently the guy didn't want any trouble, so he returned his weapon to the car and continued shopping.

Argh, pull out your pad and paper in front of the dirtbag, copy his nametag down (or ask if there is none), tell him you're contacting corporate, leave the cart right where it is, and exit the store. DO NOT PATRONIZE! (right away)
I actually asked about that last night and he didn't come back in like I thought. My friend said he apologized to the guy for the way management was acting and the man just left, (rightfully) pissed off.

Thanks for bringing that up, I'll go edit the OP.

JDriver1.8t

imported post

fenderfreek wrote:
I got an email from my guy inside with an update - the District Operations Manager issued a "official" statement on the matter - this is his email to me summing up what he was told:

If a customer enters the store with a handgun visible we are to approach the customer and ask if they are LEO. Upon the customer saying no, we are to ask the customer to conceal their weapon (regardless if they have a CWP or not as we are not instructed to ask). If they refuse to conceal their weapon we are to call the local police.

Keep in mind we have NO sign on the premises ANYWHERE stating no weapons allowed. Any citizen entering the premises is WELL within their right to open carry

Here is our company's "SOP" Quoted exactly: Under no circumstances may associates bring firearms, weapons, explosives, or other threatening devices on Company property or in Company vehicles. This includes those for which the holder has a legal permit. See Code of Conduct. The Home Depot has a "zero tolerance" policy for any actions that threaten its associates, customers, suppliers, visitors or property. Any associate, customer, supplier or visitor who violates this policy may be subject to: disciplinary action up to and including immediate termination, ejection from our property, and/or prosecution.

Actions that threaten can include:
-comments or behavior that would be interpreted by a reasonable person as an intention to harm, intimidate, or arouse fear in another associate, customer, supplier, or visitor or to harm property
-behavior that actually causes harm to an associate, customer, supplier, visitor or property
That is absolutely amazing, and I think it needs to be taken higher up than district. Maybe regional management need to be informed of their actions of harassing law abiding customers.

chiefjason

imported post

So SOP is to ask the customer to potentially break the law with no regard for the customers legal well being. Wow, great idea. I can now conceal if I like but no way would I if asked in that instance. I prefer Lowe's anyway. As said, taking this up the food chain might be a good idea.

fenderfreek

imported post

chiefjason wrote:
So SOP is to ask the customer to potentially break the law with no regard for the customers legal well being. Wow, great idea. I can now conceal if I like but no way would I if asked in that instance. I prefer Lowe's anyway. As said, taking this up the food chain might be a good idea.
His twisted version anyway. The real SOP is that you are a-ok, because that's what someone from the customer care line quoted the other day after this happened, and what HD's policy has been all along. There's just some rogue managers out there who like to pull things out of their a$$.

It ain't gonna stop me - I've been there twice in the last two days and everyone is as nice as they can be to me. They just have a couple bad apples that want to harrass people.

Fahrenheit

imported post

Lowes is just across the street, and easier to get in and out of.

I'm for leaving my cart right there (preferably with hundreds of dollars of merchandise), taking a picture of it, getting the manager's name, going to Lowe's, buying the same stuff, and then forwarding the picture, Lowe's receipt, and manager's name to HD corporate, along with a hand-written letter describing his request that I (potentially illegally) conceal my weapon.

In fact, it would be worth it to buy several hundred dollars of merchandise from Lowe's, just so I could have the receipt, then return it all after making a photocopy of the receipt.

N6ATF

Banned
imported post

Fahrenheit wrote:
Lowes is just across the street, and easier to get in and out of.

I'm for leaving my cart right there (preferably with hundreds of dollars of merchandise), taking a picture of it, getting the manager's name, going to Lowe's, buying the same stuff, and then forwarding the picture, Lowe's receipt, and manager's name to HD corporate, along with a hand-written letter describing his request that I (potentially illegally) conceal my weapon.

In fact, it would be worth it to buy several hundred dollars of merchandise from Lowe's, just so I could have the receipt, then return it all after making a photocopy of the receipt.

Don't waste Lowe's time and effort like that...

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

Fahrenheit wrote:
Why not several thousand dollars of merchandise. Say, 20, 000 bucks worth!

That would learn 'em good.

Then do it again a week later! :celebrate

Seriously, the idea is childish.

Redwolf

imported post

Makes for an interesting conversation piece, “Upon the customer saying no, we are to ask the customer to conceal their weapon (regardless if they have a CWP or not as we are not instructed to ask[/quote]” because NC law is Home Depot is private property and if the owner gives you permission to conceal a weapon its legal. Right?

razor_baghdad

imported post

lonewolf2810 wrote:
Not sure about doing that then you would be in violation if they were to call the police as you are carrying illegal. Not good

Huh? Re-read HD corporate policy. OC is legal in NC and HD abides by NC state law.

Did I miss something here?

Apart from good rapport techniques and dialogue about OC HD policy with an anti, it is NOT illegal to OC in any NC HD.

State your case with the anti in an appropriate manner, ask for another manager, and your shopping experience should go unscathed.

Agree the whole cart shopping / leaving 20k worth of materials is childish and does nothing for the OC pro 2A cause in NC...just makes YOU look more the a$$ than anything.....:?

eta: I do not work for HD.....:cool:

Redwolf

imported post

razor_baghdad wrote:
lonewolf2810 wrote:
Not sure about doing that then you would be in violation if they were to call the police as you are carrying illegal. Not good

Huh? Re-read HD corporate policy. OC is legal in NC and HD abides by NC state law.

Did I miss something here?

Apart from good rapport techniques and dialogue about OC HD policy with an anti, it is NOT illegal to OC in any NC HD.

State your case with the anti in an appropriate manner, ask for another manager, and your shopping experience should go unscathed.

Agree the whole cart shopping / leaving 20k worth of materials is childish and does nothing for the OC pro 2A cause in NC...just makes YOU look more the a$$ than anything.....:?

eta: I do not work for HD.....:cool:
I think you did, we was talking about them telling OC'ers to conceal, reguardless if they had a permit or not.