• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

The "mental illness" question on the CPL application.

Springfield Smitty

OKC, OK (Heading back to MI very soon - thank good
imported post

Well, here is some case law. This ruling from the MI Supreme Court supports a circuit court's order to a county gun board to issue a CPL to a man who was very clearly a threat to himself and others in the past.

http://coa.courts.mi.gov/documents/opinions/final/coa/20050920_c255738_42_167o.255738.opn.coa.pdf

I also want to point out that the CPL application has apparently been revised. The mental illness question is number six. It now reads, "Do you have a diagnosed mental illness, regardless of whether you are receiving treatment for that illness?"

This is not worded in the past-tense, but the present."Do you"is different than "have you ever been".

What is perhaps most disturbing is that the gentleman in the supreme court opinion above is a reserve deputy. Scary thought when you read his mental health history.

Springfield Smitty

OKC, OK (Heading back to MI very soon - thank good
imported post

I also wanted to add that when you read the supreme court ruling, pay attention. It appears to me that the board MUST call you in for a hearing if you check yes to question number six (I believe it was 16 at that time). I could be wrong, but it seems pretty clear to me:
"The first 13 grounds are based on objective criteria, such as the age of the applicant, whether the applicant has ever been subject to an order of involuntary commitment, whether the applicant has completed a pistol safety course, and whether the applicant has been convicted of an enumerated offense. MCL 28.425b(7)(a) through (m). The final ground and the provision at issue in the case, § 425b(7)(n), is subjective and subject to discretionary decision making by a licensing board."