• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Visiting DC for 9-12 March

ScottyT

imported post

Just wondering if anyone of my OCDO friends live within walking distance of the Metro and might be open to me crashing on their couch for a couple nights next month. I will be arriving the afternoon of Wednesday, September 9th and leaving early morning on Monday the 14th. Don't need rides or anything, just a place to crash for a night or two.

I am spending a couple months worth of recreation money just to get my plane ticket, and so I can't afford a hotel/hostel.

In a related note, anyone have any good hobo tips for me? A good park where I can grab a few hours sleep either in DC or near any Metro station (preferably a park with the smallest chance of getting stabbed)?

Also, are there day use lockers anywhere in DC? At a train station or something? I am not thrilled with the idea of carrying my pack 24/7.

Thanks for any help and/or tips you can provide!

ScottyT

imported post

I think I have decided against trying to find accommodations outside the city, as I will most likely be out late every night I am there.

So I don't need a place to crash, but I could still use some tips and advice!

What are the best CHEAP places to eat? (Grocery stores, markets, etc. cheaper than restaurants)

Any great bars within 3 miles of the hill that I need to check out? So far I have been told I need to hit Trusty's and Townhouse. Any other good cheaper places worth checking out?

Any other tips?

TexasNative

imported post

Scotty, you may not get any responses to this because OCDO folks living in Virginia generally don't go into DC for anything, much less for partying. So it's not that we're ignoring you, it's just that most of us don't have any of the information you're looking for.

~ Boyd

ScottyT

imported post

That's what I kind of figured, but thought I would take a shot.

I am also fishing for info on a couple other more appropriate sites, can never have enough intel!

Thanks!

Skeptic

Founder's Club Member
imported post

All the bars I used to go to when I hit the bar scene are pretty much gone, and like Texan said most of us avoid going anywhere near DC now.

I know if I was in DC, I would try to hit Pete's Apizza for a couple of slices (including a slice of the clam pizza) Suppossedly they have New Haven style pizza, which is rare to find outside New Haven and supposedly delicious. Of course I am a roadfood junkie much more than a bar scene guys these days.

ScottyT

imported post

I am a big time foodie, I will try to hit up Pete's. Looks a little spendy (I am on a mission to not spend over $100 on the trip, after transportation costs), but they have a happy hour deal where $5 will get you a pint and a slice.

Thanks!

hunter45

imported post

Check out the Green Turtle which is connected to the Verizon Center. I think they have $1.50 beers from 3-6pm daily. There is a Potbelly right there by the Phone Booth which is pretty cheap and has decent food. That's where I always eat before Caps games.