• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Dept of Licensing & OC

Bill Starks

State Researcher
imported post

The kids and I are going to Canada this summer so I needed to get the the new enhanced ID cards. We arrived 20 minutes early and already there were 40 people in line. We get inside, get our numbers and wait and wait.

2.5 hours later all the paperwork is done and I have to go up to the counter for the final signatures and fee payment. The place is now packed, standing room only.

When I head up to the counter I hear the guy sitting behind me make a comment about the 1911 on my hip. The lady next to him asks my son what kind of work I do which requires a gun? My son replies with, "he's just a regular guy and carries it all the time." The guy with the issue turns to her and says "he has to have a permit to carry like that." My son says "No, it's not needed, you can legally openly carry in Washington and, its a license, not a permit....." :p

Makes a Dad proud...... I had him run back in with a couple of pamphlets for them.

3/325

imported post

Your have every right to be proud, that's a great story!

Unfortunately, from the sound of their reaction, you can probably expect a visit from CPS. :X

FunkTrooper

imported post

CPS?

Good kid you got there, I get that a lot people will say I must have a permit (I guess it makes them feel more comfortable seeing a stranger carry if they can tell themselves they have to have a permit).

trailblazer2003

imported post

FunkTrooper wrote:
CPS?

Good kid you got there, I get that a lot people will say I must have a permit (I guess it makes them feel more comfortable seeing a stranger carry if they can tell themselves they have to have a permit).
Child Protective Services

3/325

imported post

j2l3 wrote:
I don't read any kind of adverse reaction in this. In fact, a reaction is completely missing.
Yeah, I suppose I've come to anticipate the worst (although I continue to hope for the best). But I've heard a few Sheep+CPS horror stories and it wouldn't surprise me.

badger54

imported post

NavyLT wrote:
SWEEET!

There's a couple of DUFUS's here in Oak Harbor that work behind the DOL counter. They got schooled by Olympia on Washington ID cards for military members and didn't like it at all!

Great kid!
When I was last in the Oak Harbor DOL office I heard the woman behind the counter telling people to get their CPLs.