• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Travling to Wisconsin today or tomorrow

CrimsonSoul

imported post

Being from Texas all I have are concealment holsters. The crossbreed supertuck that I have is an IWB holster. Would it be considered open carry for legal purposes if I tucked my shirt in around the firearm so that the back part of the gun was visible to the general public but the muzzle was in the holster inside my waistband?

Shotgun

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
imported post

It seems to depend upon with whom you talk. I'm neither cop, judge, nor lawyer, but to me it's an open carry. If you can see it, and recognize it as a firearm, it's not concealed in my opinion. But then I rely on logic more than law--- two verrry different things.

CrimsonSoul

imported post

I may stop by academy and buy some cheapy OWB holster to use before my trip, thanks for the info

CrimsonSoul

imported post

Double post! Are there places that have signs up that you are NOT allowed to OC? (besides the gov buildings, the 1000' school zone, restaurants that serve alcohol) say something like "guns not allowed on premises" sign or something? Thanks.

Nutczak

The Northwoods, lakeland area, Wisconsin, USA
imported post

I personally would not chance an IWB holster in WIbecuase it partially conceals the firearm under an article of clothing. I could easily see an arrest for that knowing the general attitude of law enforcement.Many just hate the fact we can even have firearms mush less carry them openly.

Have you read up on travel laws in WI and other states? for WI,in any vehicle the firearm must be unloaded, magazine out of the firearm, and in a case specifically made to house a firearm that is fully closed with no part of the fiream visible. Some opinion states the firearm must be out of the passenger compartment too due to some off-the-path case-law and that by following the law as published is also a violation of concealment rulesin a vehicle.

CrimsonSoul

imported post

Yup, unloaded, encased, and in the trunk from what I've read here. Thank you again though, for the information. I'm pretty much good with carry in every state that I'm traveling through but Il and Wi due to Tx CHL license. I'm just concerned about walking into a store that has some sign posted that I'm not familar with and I get arrested or have my firearm confinscated.

Nutczak

The Northwoods, lakeland area, Wisconsin, USA
imported post

CrimsonSoul wrote:
Yup, unloaded, encased, and in the trunk from what I've read here. Thank you again though, for the information. I'm pretty much good with carry in every state that I'm traveling through but Il and Wi due to Tx CHL license. I'm just concerned about walking into a store that has some sign posted that I'm not familar with and I get arrested or have my firearm confinscated.

I got to say, If you wear a firearm, Plan on police contact. The chances of not being approached by police are that of winning a multi-million lottery in this state.

Many have known forever that O-C is legal in WI, but the police seem to be clashing with that fact. it was just a few short months ago that the legality of O-C made the news. And I feel that many police are gnashing their teethin anticipationof making a valid arrest for someone exercising that right. I am not trying to dissuade you in any way, just trying to let you know the climate of O-C in WI.
it is not seen very often, and not all police or citizens watch the news or know the laws as well as they should. Expect some abrasiveness.

Carry-On!

Oh, what part of the state are you going to be visiting? maybe some WI members may be able to meet up for an informal O-C walk or meal??

CrimsonSoul

imported post

Thank you. I've been trying to do my homework, I've faxed the Wi AG and recieved a letter with the applicable laws, and the Memo from the milwaukee PD and all that fun stuff, it was a good read actually

Edit: As a side note I'm bringing my cheaping Sigma 9mm just incase somethign happens with the police and they would like to "borrow" my firearm. Going to leave the .40 here or just have it in the trunk of my car.

bnhcomputing

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Nutczak wrote:
CrimsonSoul wrote:

I got to say, If you wear a firearm, Plan on police contact. The chances of not being approached by police are that of winning a multi-million lottery in this state.[This is FALSE! Yes, some of us (including me) have had LEO interaction, but more often than not, the public doesn't notice or care. We promote OC here, we do not discourage it.]

Many have known forever that O-C is legal in WI, but the police seem to be clashing with that fact. it was just a few short months ago that the legality of O-C made the news. And I feel that many police are gnashing their teethin anticipationof making a valid arrest for someone exercising that right. I am not trying to dissuade you in any way, just trying to let you know the climate of O-C in WI.
it is not seen very often, and not all police or citizens watch the news or know the laws as well as they should. Expect some abrasiveness.

Carry-On!

Oh, what part of the state are you going to be visiting? maybe some WI members may be able to meet up for an informal O-C walk or meal??

CrimsonSoul

imported post

I'm going to be in Beaver Dam to visit my wifes son and I'm goign to be in the Greenwood area to visit my wifes family.

When visiting my wifes son his grandparents told me that I was NOT allowed to have my firearm around her son, I figure they are going to guard me while I'm there... or I'm just going to wear it anyway (when not at their house) and they can kiss my butt. I am nervous as it will be my first OC and I just recently got my CHL a few months ago and I'm still self-concious about that too, but I'm coming around.

I asked earlier without a response so I'll ask again. Are there signs or anything saying that firearms aren't allowed on the premises of this building or whatever say at Wal-mart or resteraunts (without a liquor license).
If they do have signs like that is it legal to carry past until they ask you to leave, or do you have to leave it in the car when you see that sign?

CrimsonSoul

imported post

So if I see a no gun sign the owner made a concious effort to put it up and I need to disarm, gotcha!

GlockMeisterG21

Campaign Veteran
imported post

CrimsonSoul wrote:
So if I see a no gun sign the owner made a concious effort to put it up and I need to disarm, gotcha!
Well, I would make and effort to go in and talk to him about it9disarming first0. Reason with him a bit and he may let you carry. If not then I wouldn't shop there.

Edit:

Then again you're just visiting. Do what you feel you need to. Enjoy your time here :)

CrimsonSoul

imported post

Welp I'm off tonight to head to Wi I'll get there tomorrow night, if someone see's me around Beaver Dam Wal-Mart I'll be the guy with the wife and the kids under five, feel free to come say hi so I won't be as uncomfortable.

CrimsonSoul

imported post

first carry at staples in beaver dam. one customer gave me weird look employees didnt notice or care. went to walmart but didnt carry because my stepson who we are here visiting got scared because of my gun because he got locked up for bringing bb gun to school becausee his father had custody at the time (doesnt anymore) and didnt give a shit about him. so im slowly working stepson to be comfortable around them. if me n wife get custody it will be easier. posting off my phone right now.