• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

I want to OC in Seattle because of this site! THX

Oliferous

Lynnwood and Capitol Hill, Washington, USA
imported post

I'm new to this site and to carrying firearms as well. I've been aware that WA state is OC legal since I moved here from CA(bleh) 3 years ago and have always been interested but kinda afraid to OC due to my appearance.

I have long hair, goatee, wear black clothes, leather, etc and am generally the type to be eyeballed when entering a store. I guess you could say I look like trouble,LOL, which is the farthest from the truth! I've looked/dressed like this since I was a young teen(i'm 29 now) and am VERY used to the kinds of reactions I get from people which tend to be on the negative side of the spectrum.

My fear in OCing lies in people calling me in as an armed threat and having my rights impeded, but upon extensive reading on this site and reviewing all the RCW's, etc, I've decided that I want to and will exercise my rights! And I believe that I will MOST CERTAINLY be given oppurtunuties to educate people and try to dissuade some fears and negative connotations.

Does anyone else on the site have any experience with something similiar? And all/any advice is encouraged:D Also, I will be OCing in Dowtown Seattle/Capitol Hill area if anyone's oc-ed there. I've NEVER seen anyone OC on the hill!! This will be resolved, unless that is there's something I don't know about!

Thank you all for a grand wealth of knowledge and information!!

Batousaii

imported post

HeYa, welcome to the forum. I have read a bit from various posters about appearance having various effects, but i also believe that as OC becomes more "public knowledge" and accepted that the whole appearance effect will be subdued as well. Where as i am still a CC guy, i too am "gearing up" to do some OC. My first will most likely be a .45 auto on a simple formed side holster with a spare mag. It present a very conservative image, not my favorite :p -- What i want to be able to do is live in my old school six-gun drop loop rig, blue jeans and t-shirt kinda guy. But that i am sure is a real attention getter. So i should say I can relate to the image hurdle. My personal though is, if you got your comfort level up with who and what you are, then be yourself and do what you like. As many have mentioned, know your basic facts, keep some fliers on hand, and be aware of some basic Do's and Dont's about handling habits, locations, private property laws etc. from what i understand, the Seattle PD are well versed in the OC rights, and rather receptive. It seems most problems with LEO happens outside that area, so might be a good starting point.

:dude:welcome again,

Bat.

sudden valley gunner

imported post

I think demeanor matters more than appearance but that might be just me. If you are affable and it shows that eases a lot of people right away. A great way to break into OC is to do it with someone else or show up to a meet. Do you carry at home? Then venture out to friends and then to places you know are OC friendly, when comfortable with that you will find OC comfortable in general which will show in your personality and bring less attention to yourself when you decide to make it part of your everyday carry.

OH and welcome to OCDO!!!! Strength in numbers.

Oliferous

imported post

Thanks a bunch ya guys, I appreciate the feedback :)
I do believe that demeanor has a lot to do with how one is reacted to and that's exactly why I am going to OC. I know I am a responsible person, at ease and comfortable in the areas that I would start OCing in. I am a very easy going guy and know that it shows too and after reading the forums, am of the opinion that I should be able to OC w/o issues(I hope!). Good to hear SPD is versed too
Other than the basic RCW's, are there any other "lines" you guys would recomend I put to memory? You know, just in case ;) And where can I get these fliers( I'm sure I missed the post)?
And I fer the record, my ideal rig would MOST CERTAINLY be double reverse grip holsters for the twin six shooters(I have yet to obtain!)on a belt full of live rounds! I think it'd at least match my hat :cool:
I'm gonna try my best to make it to the picnic but I have some previous family medcal stuff that I unfortunetly must help out with. I would really love to attend though!!
Thanks again guys, looking forward to many more posts here:celebrate

Aaron1124

imported post

Oliferous wrote:
I'm new to this site and to carrying firearms as well. I've been aware that WA state is OC legal since I moved here from CA(bleh) 3 years ago and have always been interested but kinda afraid to OC due to my appearance.

I have long hair, goatee, wear black clothes, leather, etc and am generally the type to be eyeballed when entering a store. I guess you could say I look like trouble,LOL, which is the farthest from the truth! I've looked/dressed like this since I was a young teen(i'm 29 now) and am VERY used to the kinds of reactions I get from people which tend to be on the negative side of the spectrum.

My fear in OCing lies in people calling me in as an armed threat and having my rights impeded, but upon extensive reading on this site and reviewing all the RCW's, etc, I've decided that I want to and will exercise my rights! And I believe that I will MOST CERTAINLY be given oppurtunuties to educate people and try to dissuade some fears and negative connotations.

Does anyone else on the site have any experience with something similiar? And all/any advice is encouraged:D Also, I will be OCing in Dowtown Seattle/Capitol Hill area if anyone's oc-ed there. I've NEVER seen anyone OC on the hill!! This will be resolved, unless that is there's something I don't know about!

Thank you all for a grand wealth of knowledge and information!!
Do you ride a motorcycle?

Oliferous

imported post

It's been on my list of "to buy soon" but seeing as I'm a musician, I still haven't found a good way to transport a half-stack and a hardshell case for my Les Paul on the back of a Fatboy!:p but I've been told I "look the part" as far as bikers go! Will eventually get one someday though..:quirky

sudden valley gunner

imported post

IF its a Les Paul ( Rest in Peace) it better be a Marshal half stack. I have that set up, very awsome. JCM 900 rarely use any pedals sounds so good just how it is. My 6 string gun.

Oliferous

imported post

I've had a JCM 900( , great head! But I changed to an old-ish 80's Randell head with a Marshall Cab(4x12) cause I wanted to get a thicker sound against my last band's 2nd guitarist :) But I think it's time to switch back(hopefully a JCM2000 Dual Super Lead!), now that that band's no more! The Randell is actually a great amp, it's the only solid state that I've ever played through that has enough( more even) balls to keep up and out-rock a lot of tube amps! Good stuff but I totally agree in the end!!
RIP Les Paul